You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What would stop you from buying a new adventure game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #81

I guess not having enough Money items in my inventory would stop me from buying an adventure game.

Shades of Violet: Song of the Clockwork Princess - Real soon!
Old 07-30-2009, 02:59 PM   #82

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

Quote:
Originally Posted by heribertovalle View Post
I guess not having enough Money items in my inventory would stop me from buying an adventure game.
This is what's stopping me from buying any at the moment

Last edited by Marduk; 07-31-2009 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:32 PM   #83
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

I've already mentioned in several other threads that:

1) I'm a cheapskate who'd rather not pay $30 or even $20 for a new game (with a few exceptions ) when I know it'll usually be reduced to $10 or less 6-12 months later, and
2) I still have a huge backlog of recent and older games that unfortunately keeps growing since I buy them (usually at reduced prices (see 1)) faster than I can finish them!

Also, being "behind the curve" means I'll have read enough reviews of then-new releases to get a better idea of what I should keep my thrifty eye on later.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #84

Time to play them is a showstopper for me
Old 08-10-2009, 02:40 PM   #85

The thing that stops me most from buying games is that they haven't come out yet! *cough* Gray Matter *cough*

"You ever wish you could just follow your instincts, live for the moment?" - Gabriel Knight

Now playing - Legend of Grimrock
Need to finish - The Whispered World
Finished - Botanicula, The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
Up Next - A New Beginning, Monkey Island 2 Special Edition
Anticipating - Asylum, Bracken Tor, The Last Crown
Old 08-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #86

Dullness. Many adventure games are incredibly uninspired.

Wrong focus. I'm not a fan of puzzle collections wrapped inside a thin story.

Low quality. Should be obvious, but there are websites that rated Limbo of the Lost pretty high, maybe out of starvation for a good game. I don't lower my demands, though. With that comes the puzzle design. If a shooter has a badly designed section you may have to kill the same clone foes over and over again, but for an adventure it's much worse. You may have to pixelhunt, read the designer's mind, endure a thousand "This doesn't work", hunt for unrelated event triggers or die of terrible boredom. Sadly, most reviews don't explain these problems very well.

No Money. I'm just a poor student, so...

Hardware requirements that I can't fulfill. I don't own a console so I won't be able to play Heavy Rain, for example. Otherwise, my laptop could barely run The Book of Unwritten Tales.

Certainly not time. I have a lot of games that still need to be played and they just get more and more...sure, most of them are part of my curiosity collection, more meant to be examined than to be played from beginning to end. Others refuse to run properly even if the box proclaims that it works with XP (The Westerner). Also, if I pick up a new game I will prioritize playing it over any older game. So, the backlog of games or time isn't an issue. I just play them when I come to it. Doesn't bother me if I may never come to it.

Last edited by ozzie; 08-10-2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old 08-15-2009, 05:43 PM   #87

This thread is really an awareness program by itself esp. for some indie developers who might be interested in knowing what the audience really wants, so thumbs up to the OP.

Here are a few things that will definitely stop me from buying a game regardless of the publisher:

1. Poor Presentation
If the game is well-designed, its definitely an eye-catcher. Poor, choppy graphics will lead your title nowhere and turn gamers away from your next release.

2. Bad Voice-overs
Most of the times titles that fall under the "Adventure" genre also feature poor-voice overs, which sounds and feels like as if the dialogues are being read from a paper, rather than integrating them in the story.

3. Lack of FMV sequences/cinematics
If you are hoping to charge the audience a good $30.00 for a game then you might as well throw in some visually enticing clips to support your game.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:13 PM   #88

Disney's Hercules for PS1 (PSX) was one of the finest adventure games with excellent voice-overs, bg music and lots of replay value and not to mention the ease of character control.

If I could have something like that to look forward to on the pc then I'd like to buy it at any price. BUT it has to be faithful to its gameplay elements...

Old 08-16-2009, 09:23 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legend View Post
Disney's Hercules for PS1 (PSX) was one of the finest adventure games with excellent voice-overs, bg music and lots of replay value and not to mention the ease of character control.

If I could have something like that to look forward to on the pc then I'd like to buy it at any price. BUT it has to be faithful to its gameplay elements...

Hercules for PSX is a side-scrolling arcade-type game, not an adventure game.
Have a look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNA9X7gXbFA
Old 08-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabapple View Post
Hercules for PSX is a side-scrolling arcade-type game, not an adventure game.
Have a look.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNA9X7gXbFA
I was trying to compare the graphics, characters and story..
Old 08-18-2009, 08:29 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky View Post
I don't buy games that have thin, sexy female protagonists in them.
I do buy games that have thin, sexy female protagonists in them.