Simon 4 - Page 2 - Adventure Forums
You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2006, 11:02 AM   #21
Sky is not the limit
 
Zanthia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Kyrandia
Posts: 1,496
Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia
Default

Simon 3d was great game! Graphics was nice too. after you get used to it. And puzzles were awesome.
And I am waiting for 4yh game in any case.
__________________
RUBY + EXOTIC FLOWER = RED POTION
TOPAZ + TULIP = YELLOW POTION
RED POTION + YELLOW POTION= ORANGE POTION
Zanthia is offline  
Old 07-28-2006, 11:45 AM   #22
OB
 
Orange Brat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 662
Default

They're either prerendered or are realtime and are small environments with baked in lighting. The lighting is too advanced(esp around the stove window area) to be realtime unless it's baked. And, if it's baked the memory requirement is large; thus smaller levels.
__________________
The Disenfranchisedô - A Film Noir adventure series for the PC. Coming later.
Orange Brat is offline  
Old 07-28-2006, 12:30 PM   #23
LA-S-LE
 
Ariel Type's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Snow Country
Posts: 549
Default

The story and puzzles are developed by completely different people (as far as I know, Mike Woodruff only helps with general concept, and Simon even doesn't take part in the project). So there's actually no reason to be happy.. Yet.
Ariel Type is offline  
Old 07-28-2006, 12:57 PM   #24
Junior Member
 
The Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 12
Default

It looks like Simon 3: http://simonology.de/include.php?pat...creenshots.php
The Knight is offline  
Old 07-28-2006, 01:35 PM   #25
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type
The story and puzzles are developed by completely different people (as far as I know, Mike Woodruff only helps with general concept, and Simon even doesn't take part in the project). So there's actually no reason to be happy.. Yet.
IMHO it gives the STS franchise a chance to evolve to new directions.
considering AdventureSoft made simon3D which was bad and not only because of the graphics, it was just no-fun, the loss is not a biggie.

or simply - I prefer to be optimistic.
TheGreyMatter is offline  
Old 07-28-2006, 04:02 PM   #26
hello
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIAndy
It looks to me like quite renderable with today's graphics cards. And given that it is scheduled for early 2007, they probably assume today's high end as standard.
no way... check out the indoor scene, the details of the textures, and how high the polygon count is, for that to run real time, on current hardware, it would be the most impressive graphics engine available today, and i doubt they would develop the best 3d engine available for a point and click adventure.
Compare the indoor scene to a game which barely runs ok on the best graphics cards, like say oblivion... oblivion looks like crap compared.
I have a dual core amd64 4800+ with SLI 7800's, and i have seen it be brought down to very slow framrates with much lesser graphics than that.
Im pretty sure you will find those screens are pre renders, or have not gone through the optimization process yet, where they dramatically reduce polygon counts, and texutre detail to make sure it will be able to run ok.
so either way, the end game will be realtime 3d, but will not look quite that good. or will be pre-rendered backgrounds.
Litrick is offline  
Old 07-29-2006, 12:18 AM   #27
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3
Default

Compared to Oblivion we only see a very limited size scene. I only say that this scene would be possible on today's high end hardware. Highly detailed textures cost memory, but that does not matter much as long as the level size is small (which we have no idea from this screenshot).
And from screenshots it is hard to say what is real 3d detail, what is texture and what is done by other maps.
AIAndy is offline  
Old 07-29-2006, 09:15 AM   #28
woof
 
Karmillo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NOT REALLY RIGHT HERE
Posts: 4,750
Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo
Default

I heard it was Real3D, and if you look closely at the edges of some of the stuff you can see the edges are a little bit ruff...althoguh that could just be the image quality
__________________
"I've got nothing to lose! Except for...well everything."
Karmillo is offline  
Old 07-29-2006, 01:21 PM   #29
hello
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 379
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIAndy
Compared to Oblivion we only see a very limited size scene. I only say that this scene would be possible on today's high end hardware. Highly detailed textures cost memory, but that does not matter much as long as the level size is small (which we have no idea from this screenshot).
And from screenshots it is hard to say what is real 3d detail, what is texture and what is done by other maps.
Agreed you need less texture memory if you are only displaying a small area. However if you look at the texutres in that scene, they are all extremely high res, and all independent. for something the be able to run with reasonable performance in real time, textures are applied, which can be randomized and spread over an object such as a wall or floor, or bed etc, this allows for the texture to be much smaller, randomized and tiled over the object, to save memory. This is clearly not the case in this scene. Textures aside, look at the amount of polygons that would be needed for that scene, with its multiple curved surfaces, high detailed models such as the bed, and even the mat which is crumpled on the floor. and then there is the lighting...
There is no hardware available to the public today which would run that scene anywhere near smooth, and certainly no games available at present with graphics which come anywhere close to that in realtime 3d.

Last edited by Litrick; 07-29-2006 at 01:33 PM.
Litrick is offline  
Old 07-30-2006, 06:56 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
JemyM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Posts: 713
Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM
Default

Ouch. If simon 4 is released, I just have to pull myself through Simon 3d... but I will keep away from it until I have Simon 4 in my hand.

God praise the one who make a "LongPlay" out of Simon 3d so I can just watch the story and the jokes without actually having to play it.
JemyM is offline  
Old 07-30-2006, 12:23 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
Cathy1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 277
Default

Love the Dragon TK. The first screen shots were fantastic looking also.

Cathy
Cathy1 is offline  
Old 07-30-2006, 05:13 PM   #32
LA-S-LE
 
Ariel Type's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Snow Country
Posts: 549
Default

TheGreyMatter
Quote:
considering AdventureSoft made simon3D which was bad and not only because of the graphics, it was just no-fun, the loss is not a biggie.
It wasn't "bad", it was as good as the first chapters. People just prefered to focus on graphics and bugs, overlooking story, characters and puzzles. Mike and Simon Woodruff always knew what they were doing - after all, they had over 20 years of adventure-making behind their backs.
Ariel Type is offline  
Old 07-30-2006, 06:21 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Ninth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 6,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type
It wasn't "bad", it was as good as the first chapters. People just prefered to focus on graphics and bugs, overlooking story, characters and puzzles. Mike and Simon Woodruff always knew what they were doing - after all, they had over 20 years of adventure-making behind their backs.
I don't know. I played something like 2/3 of it (up to the part after the swamp, I think), and even though I was put off at the beginning, I somehow started to enjoy it, but at some point I just lost interest, which would never have happened with the other two games.
My main problem, I guess, was the puzzles, which made little sense (in a Discworld kind of way), with the added fact that the interface made manipulating objects awkward.
__________________
...It's down there somewhere. Let me have another look.
Ninth is offline  
Old 07-31-2006, 02:08 PM   #34
Plumber-x company
 
Filmman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Michigan
Posts: 468
Send a message via AIM to Filmman Send a message via Yahoo to Filmman
Default

Wow
Filmman is offline  
Old 07-31-2006, 02:15 PM   #35
The Threadô will die.
 
RLacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 22,542
Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type
It wasn't "bad", it was as good as the first chapters.
I'm not so sure; I don't remember the first two games featuring poorly-executed arcade sequences, sprawling game worlds with large, redundant areas (actually, the original did feature some of this...), an even more obnoxious main character than usual and terrible graphics.

Mind you, it's still not actually that bad a game. The fact that I still have yet to complete it though (I lost interest at one point after the game crashed out on me) reminds me that it's no classic, though.
__________________
RLacey | Killer of the Threadô

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.


RLacey is offline  
Old 07-31-2006, 04:10 PM   #36
LA-S-LE
 
Ariel Type's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Snow Country
Posts: 549
Default

Ninth
Quote:
My main problem, I guess, was the puzzles, which made little sense (in a Discworld kind of way), with the added fact that the interface made manipulating objects awkward.
I also found puzzles more tricky and illogical then in the first two games, but they were of "adapt to the gameworld" kind. I mean, Monkey Island or Sam&Max games can be described in the same way - you just have to understand the logic behind the world you are in. There are still plenty of hints on your way, but you still have to get used to the surroundings.
RLacey
Quote:
I don't remember the first two games featuring poorly-executed arcade sequences
Feeble Files did have arcade sequences, and they were poorly integrated. But they didn't ruin the whole experience for me (neither did action in StS3D). Story, puzzles and humor really worked as a compensation, and I didn't find Simon that obnoxious. Maybe because I love british humor, maybe because there were very few really good humorous adventures in the last 6-7 years. And Simon3D succeeded in this field for me.
Ariel Type is offline  
Old 07-31-2006, 04:16 PM   #37
The Threadô will die.
 
RLacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 22,542
Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type
Feeble Files did have arcade sequences, and they were poorly integrated. But they didn't ruin the whole experience for me (neither did action in StS3D).
Fair enough. I haven't actually played The Feeble Files yet, but I remember hating the fireworks section in Simon3D.

Quote:
Story, puzzles and humor really worked as a compensation, and I didn't find Simon that obnoxious. Maybe because I love british humor, maybe because there were very few really good humorous adventures in the last 6-7 years. And Simon3D succeeded in this field for me.
Hmm... I'd call myself a fan of British humour, but I'm not sure that Simon3D is a good example. Most of the humour in the game seems to be developed out of Simon being rude to everyone he meets. Sure, you're more than welcome to find that kind of thing funny, but I can't help but feel that there comes a point at which the character becomes so rude that he's distinctly unlikable. Stealing from the guy stuck down in a pit springs to mind, as does needlessly insulting every character that Simon ever meets, or the deeply unfunny breaking-the-fourth-wall jokes involving the fairy helper character.

Now, I'm not saying that Simon3D is devoid of humour - that's not true - but a great number of the jokes fell flat for me.
__________________
RLacey | Killer of the Threadô

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.


RLacey is offline  
Old 07-31-2006, 10:53 PM   #38
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
.... sprawling game worlds with large, redundant areas ....
that was one of the major (if not THE major) design flaws in th game.
is seemed like they wished to "artificially" make a larger game world -
the result - most of your time you were running around this empty world.
TheGreyMatter is offline  
Old 07-31-2006, 11:20 PM   #39
Senior Member
 
Ninth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Paris, France
Posts: 6,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type
Ninth

I also found puzzles more tricky and illogical then in the first two games, but they were of "adapt to the gameworld" kind. I mean, Monkey Island or Sam&Max games can be described in the same way - you just have to understand the logic behind the world you are in.
But at least in these games if you're really sutck you can always experiment around. I remember Simon 3D having an awkward inventory interface, which made this frustrating.
__________________
...It's down there somewhere. Let me have another look.
Ninth is offline  
Old 08-01-2006, 01:21 AM   #40
Senior Member
 
CrimsonBlue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,167
Default

While the story and puzzles may be good or great in Simon 3D, the controls are really what ruins it. When playability is bad it doesn't matter how good the story or puzzles are. Simon3D should never have been released, and it's probably the only game I'm actually embaressed to have in my collection. But I can't get rid of it because it's a Simon game so I it to have a complete collection and nobody would want the game anyway. It's worth about as much as my left thumb-nail.
CrimsonBlue is offline  
 



Thread Tools

 


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.