You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2006, 04:23 AM   #1

Default I love Sanitarium

The switching between characters, the dark humor, and of course the story and puzzles...I love it all.

Anyone else feel like you just love this game?
Old 07-23-2006, 07:03 AM   #2

Yes, I missed playing it everyday after I finished it. I got so used to saying to myself "I wonder what Max is up to today?" Same with Lewton in Discworld Noir.

There was so much variety in the game, so many little gems I never lost interest in what could be next. I never felt stuck - only intrigued. Good flow from one scenario to the next, too and the story pulled together nicely at the end. Loved it.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:38 AM   #3
Master of time and space

I also like Sanitarium. I wish more adventues with a dark well made theme would come out.
Old 07-23-2006, 09:58 AM   #4
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

Dang, I keep putting off getting this one. It's shame too, I've played the demo over 10 times. It looks beautiful in that dark and twisted way.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:07 AM   #5
It's Hard To Be Humble

Haven't played it in a century, but I seem to remember it was pretty cool. Think I preferred Shivers, and even Blackstone Chronicles caught my attention better, but Santarium had some really nice things in it.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:27 AM   #6
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

Sanitarium sure is very stylish game.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:05 AM   #7
Slim Shady

It's the best adventure game ever.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:13 AM   #8

Sanitarium is a great adventure game. I missed out on getting it back when it first came out in 1997, but fortunately I was able to obtain it back in late 2005, and was able to experience it first-hand. Definitely a top-rate game, but beware if you're trying to play it on a newer system.
Old 07-23-2006, 11:13 AM   #9
Under pressure.

It's still on my "to-play" list.

--Erwin
Old 07-24-2006, 12:57 AM   #10
Game Creator Hobbyist

Yep, it's on my "top ten".
Old 07-24-2006, 03:32 AM   #11
capsized.

I own Sanitarium. I like Sanitarium. But I don't love Sanitarium. The actual
game (most of the all too typical "puzzle" stuff, exhaust all dialogue options yaddayadda) is a tad too conventional for my likings. If only Dreamforge had come up with something as special for the gamey bits as for the narrative. The gameplay design is okay, really, but for the most part just nothing to write home about. There's a section near the end where you have to use the abilities of all the characters you played throughout before, that was rather neat.

Is it just me or... I never warmed up to that Mayan God "level".
Old 07-24-2006, 03:46 AM   #12

Default Sanitarium Rules

I absolutely LOVE Sanitarium!It,s - by far - the best adventure game ever. I am surprised that most people don't even know it. Personally, it's my favorite adventure game and I wish there were more like it. Every self-respected adventurer should have it in his/her collection. Sanitarium Rules!!!
Old 07-24-2006, 03:51 AM   #13
Easily amused

It was a good game. I liked the novelty of seeing things from a bird's eye view and having the roofs of the dwellings melt away once you gained access to them. It is a very unique game. I wasn't a huge fan of the actiony bits though, and for that reason I don't consider it in my top games list.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:54 AM   #14
Gombeto

I'm currently playing it. I'm in the level with the cemetery. It's okay but not the best I've seen. I mean, the graphics are great, but the story is not as excellent as I was expecting. Not bad, but not as fascinating as I was expecting.

ps. And all these crashes through the game. I don't install the patch because the savegames won't run, right?
Old 07-24-2006, 03:59 AM   #15
Ronin

Sanitarium is one of the biggest disappointments in my adventuring gaming experience. Not because it was terrible, but because it did not live up to the superlative hype (e.g. "best game ever!!!!"). Try it, and have fun, but be ready for just about every cliche in the genre, including: pixel-hunts, dialogue trees, lame action sequences, maze, sound puzzle, pre-Colombian civilization, etc..
Old 07-24-2006, 04:01 AM   #16
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Is it just me or... I never warmed up to that Mayan God "level".
Was it the level where you are some kind of animal? Never beat that. Most boring part of the game, and it crashed all the time. The cemetry was awesome though.
Old 07-24-2006, 04:05 AM   #17
Gombeto

That "Monster Level" was so terrible that I had to find some savegames and move to the next chapter.

Never done that before in other games. ;]
Old 07-24-2006, 05:55 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapstorm
Sanitarium is one of the biggest disappointments in my adventuring gaming experience. Not because it was terrible, but because it did not live up to the superlative hype (e.g. "best game ever!!!!"). Try it, and have fun, but be ready for just about every cliche in the genre, including: pixel-hunts, dialogue trees, lame action sequences, maze, sound puzzle, pre-Colombian civilization, etc..

Pixel-hunts, dialogue trees, sound puzzle???I thought that's exactly what we are supposed to do in this kind of games. What did you expect? It's not a first-person shooter. Every adventure game have these things, but every one is unique thanks to its story, graphics, puzzles, etc.
Old 07-24-2006, 06:45 AM   #19
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenant
Pixel-hunts, dialogue trees, sound puzzle???I thought that's exactly what we are supposed to do in this kind of games. What did you expect? It's not a first-person shooter. Every adventure game have these things, but every one is unique thanks to its story, graphics, puzzles, etc.
Yeah, but he said the game was hyped to be more than your avarage adventure game. (A hype which I never noticed, though.)

--Erwin
Old 07-24-2006, 07:13 AM   #20
Slim Shady

Hype ??? Sanitarium is in the category of underrated games.You can read the development story of Sanitarium at http://www.gamasutra.com/features/pr...ni_post_01.htm