You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Grim Fandango The Movie?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2006, 01:35 PM   #1
I needed a dare

Default Grim Fandango The Movie?

http://themoviecenter.wordpress.com/...e-los-muertos/

Quote:
Tim Burton’s future projects: “Well, I’m currently woerking on Sweeny Todd, which will be released in mid-2007. After that, I’m gonna start working on a new script that was sent to me recently: Grim Fandango. It sort of follows the style of The nightmare before Christmas and Corpse Bride. It’s about a surreal land of the dead, some sort of purgatory where everyone goes when they die. In that place, dead people have to make a four-year transition before they can rest in peace for all the eternity. I still don’t know when we’re going to start filming this, though.
Old 07-11-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
guybrush_guy

i realy dought was he said, i dont think lucas arts would ever give the writes up to that game, those money hungry basterds

Old 07-11-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
is not wierd

Whoa. That'd be sweeeeeeeeeet.

Although I would have liked to make the Grim Fandango movie
Old 07-11-2006, 01:55 PM   #4

GF was 'the best adventure'. Hard to make a movie inspired by it, but Tim has the potential. I hope he preserves the whole Film Noir atmosphere and doesn't turn everything into a weird comedy like Corpse Bride.
I wonder who will play Glottis
Old 07-11-2006, 01:56 PM   #5
hello

Can that be for real? that would be so awesome! tim burton would be the most perfect person to direct a grim fandango movie...

Also, since the movie would be hugely popular (because it would be a Tim Burton movie). This would probably conjur up interest in the game, maybe prompting a re-release, and perhaps a sequel? Having said that, the sequel would no doubt be 3d, and involve fighting/shooting, to try and appeal to the new found non-adventuring audience it would attract due to the movie...

talk about jumping to conclusions
Old 07-11-2006, 01:57 PM   #6
hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGz
GF was 'the best adventure'. Hard to make a movie inspired by it, but Tim has the potential. I hope he preserves the whole Film Noir atmosphere and doesn't turn everything into a weird comedy like Corpse Bride.
I wonder who will play Glottis
Dan Goodman
Old 07-11-2006, 02:00 PM   #7
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

How about Alan Blumenfeld for Glottis and Tony Plana for Manuel? Oh, I know, Maria Canals for Mercedes!
Old 07-11-2006, 02:31 PM   #8
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fop
How about Alan Blumenfeld for Glottis and Tony Plana for Manuel? Oh, I know, Maria Canals for Mercedes!
Whoa.....radical idea.....

After all, it probably will be stop-motion animation, so why not?
Old 07-11-2006, 02:35 PM   #9
Dungeon Master

Check out that site, people. It has ZERO credibility. Please don't spread this rumour any further.
Old 07-11-2006, 03:01 PM   #10

I've done some searching, and there is no mention ANYWHERE else on the web about this rumor. AFGNCAAP is right, this is a hoax. Makes me sad though :-(
Old 07-11-2006, 11:43 PM   #11
Gombeto

Aaargh I thought it would be great if they did a GF movie!!! Yea, Tim Burton has the potential.
Old 07-12-2006, 12:03 AM   #12

Here's the source article that that piece was based on.

One

Two

No mention of Grim Fandango, obviously.
Old 07-12-2006, 02:34 AM   #13
Knights Templar

I highly doubt this is geniune.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:43 AM   #14
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva
Default Burton's Grim Fandango Movie?!

Quote:
Burton's Grim Fandango?

Sources: The little-known film blog The Movie Center and the well-respected entertainment site Dark Horizons.

The official stories: Attempts to elicit comment from LucasArts, Burton's agent, and Microsoft were unsuccessful as of press time.

What we heard: This week saw a couple of crazy rumors spring from the crossroads of Hollywood and games. First up was word that the sultan of strange himself, director Tim Burton, is planning to direct a film version of LucasArts' beloved 1998 PC game Grim Fandango. The string of rumors tracked back to what appeared to be a typo-packed interview on the obscure film blog The Movie Center.

"Well, I'm currently woerking (sic) on Sweeny Todd (sic), which will be released in mid-2007," read the quote attributed to Burton. "After that, I'm gonna start working on a new script that was sent to me recently: Grim Fandango. It sort of follows the style of The nightmare before Christmas (sic) and Corpse Bride. It's about a surreal land of the dead, some sort of purgatory where everyone goes when they die. In that place, dead people have to make a four-year transition before they can rest in peace for all the eternity. I still don't know when we're going to start filming this, though."

Given that "Burton-esque" was an adjective often used to describe Grim Fandango when it came out, the quote seemed confirmation of a match made in nerd heaven. Problem is, the "interview" was actually a collection of quotes lifted from other press outlets. While several of the early quotes could be traced to this About.com interview with Burton, several of the others--including the Grim Fandango quote--remain of indeterminate origin, and therefore unverifiable.
SOURCE.

Woulden't that be amazing? Tim Burton would be the only person I would trust to direct a Grim Fandango movie. This is quite exciting.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 07-13-2006, 05:00 AM   #15
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

*IF* this is going to be made (which would be awesome), then I hope that they again hire Tommy Piper to be the German voice of Manny, like they did for the game.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hoping it for me, but I'm hoping it for them. Seriously, if they don't hire Tommy Piper as the voice of Manny, I'm afraid I'll be forced to go postal upon them.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 07-13-2006, 06:40 AM   #16
Super Moderator

That Gamespot piece is pretty skeptical, pointing out the dubiousness (is that a word) of the blog item and the fact it was pieced together from other interviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamespot
Given that "Burton-esque" was an adjective often used to describe Grim Fandango when it came out, the quote seemed confirmation of a match made in nerd heaven. Problem is, the "interview" was actually a collection of quotes lifted from other press outlets. While several of the early quotes could be traced to this About.com interview with Burton, several of the others--including the Grim Fandango quote--remain of indeterminate origin, and therefore unverifiable.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:54 AM   #17
Dungeon Master

Gotta love how Gamespot admits the only known source for the rumour is useless, but people will now go on to report it as if GS had actually confirmed the news.

To be exact, the following passage:
Quote:
While several of the early quotes could be traced to this About.com interview with Burton, several of the others--including the Grim Fandango quote--remain of indeterminate origin, and therefore unverifiable.
should read:
Quote:
All paragraphs except the Grim Fandango one could be traced to this About.com article, which in itself is not an interview, but a collection of passages from other sources.
By the way, all of the whopping four entries in the said "blog" are copy-and-pasted from various websites, in case anyone still needs convincing.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:31 PM   #18
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

If Burton doesn't make the movie, that would be the biggest adventure disapointment.
Old 07-14-2006, 12:03 AM   #19
SSH
Super Scottish Hero

So why doesn't someone here start writing a GF movie screenplay and REALLY send it to Burton?

I mean, they made the Monkey Island movie with Depp, so why not GF? Or maybe they'll make the Loom movie first
Old 07-14-2006, 12:55 AM   #20
AGA
AdventureGameAficionado

Grumble.