You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure AG Community Game Playthrough #3: Conquests of the Longbow - The Legend of Robin Hood

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2006, 12:30 AM   #81

Send a message via MSN to Cellardoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Heeled Jack
Is it possible to speak with the beggar if you let walk past the look out?
I waited there for a bit and then decided to leave and just as Robbin Hood left the screen the beggar came on. When i went back to see if he was still there, he was gone.
Spoiler:
I believe it is possible. Try and walk back to camp.

Quote:
Do you guys know whether the difficulty level gets higher as you progress?
Game segments eventually will become longer and as a result more complex and difficult.

Quote:
How is that a simple cobbler is able to get the drop on Sherwood Forest's most fearsome outlaw (I call him Robbing Hood)?
Spoiler:
I'm unsure, but I do recall that there's more to Lobb than just a simple cobbler. I'm not a 100% sure about this though. Anyway, letting Marian die is the only evil act you can't get away with in this game, so feel free to continue experimenting with the 'Dark Side of the Longbow'.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:06 AM   #82
Elegantly copy+pasted

Day 2 is ridiculously short, if you find Marian at once.

But how do you find her? How do you even know that you're supposed to look for her? I walked around the forest for about twenty screens without running into her. Then when I played again, she turned up on the first forest screen I entered. Is it just random? Is there a particular screen you have to find? Or are there a few specific places she might turn up, and you have to find one of them?

Since this day is all about a walk in the forest, here are a few things you can do to keep yourself occupied:
  • Stay on one screen for a few minutes, and something will run by.
  • See if you can try to grab that thing.
  • If you notice some trees that are uglier than the others, that means you're close to or in a druids' grove. Consult the manual. (The ugliness is apparently an unintentional effect of using a different artist.)
  • Try to shoot at the big oak tree. (Save first!)
  • If you stand on Watling street, you can look East and West (and sometimes North and South) to get Robin to tell you what's nearby.
  • You can let Marian die and still continue the game, but it leads to your death in Day 3.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:36 AM   #83

Send a message via MSN to Cellardoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by After a brisk nap
But how do you find her? How do you even know that you're supposed to look for her? I walked around the forest for about twenty screens without running into her. Then when I played again, she turned up on the first forest screen I entered. Is it just random? Is there a particular screen you have to find? Or are there a few specific places she might turn up, and you have to find one of them?
I think it is random, but perhaps not completely. For instance, I believe you'll only encounter Marian by entering a screen from the East. (Maybe also from the South?) I met Marian in the South-Eastern portion of the forest, near the Sacred Grove. This may have been random, but it does make sense finding her near there since this grove is seen in the dream.

Last edited by Cellardoor; 07-13-2006 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:56 AM   #84

I found her near the archery range.Looks like it might be random.What are the maximum points in day 2 and 3?

Lou Holtz
Old 07-13-2006, 10:33 AM   #85

Done! Not much to say, I'm afraid.

Max score: 620
Min score: 50 (I replayed day 1 to end it with the real minimum score)
EDIT: Actually, the min score is -50 (thanks Junkface!)

I've always had the habit of looking for Marian near the willow grove, and she's easy to find there; but this time I tried exploring the forest at random instead, and couldn't find her until I went back to the willows. Well, I think it makes sense to look for her here.

I really like the characters. Christy Marx knows how to make the player like her heroes. But for all the wonderful characterisation when it comes to Robin et al., I believe the time she was the most spot-on was the cat in the village.

And so it's not possible to let Marian die on day 2. Oh well, we'll get another chance.

And that's about it for now.
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]

Last edited by Kurufinwe; 07-13-2006 at 10:35 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:06 AM   #86
Elegantly copy+pasted

I found Marian two screens West of the Overlook (one screen West of Watling Street). I would imagine that it's random among screens where there's enough space for the encounter, and that it can only occur if you enter from East or South, so that you don't start out right on top of them.
Old 07-13-2006, 11:09 AM   #87

Actually, entering from the West works too (they just put Marian and the monk on the right of the screen; who said Sierra's programmers were incompetent? ).
Recently finished: MCF: Escape from Ravenhearst [+], The Walking Dead, ep. 1 [+++], Gray Matter [++]
Old 07-13-2006, 03:55 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
Done! Not much to say, I'm afraid.

Max score: 620
I have 600... How did you manage to get those extra 20? (10 from day one, but what about the other 10).

Anyhow... I'm starting to get hooked. I hate having to wait a week before I resume playing. Oh well.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:00 PM   #89
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Actually, entering from the West works too (they just put Marian and the monk on the right of the screen; who said Sierra's programmers were incompetent? ).
I think I said that. Many, many times.

To be fair, Sierra did push a lot of new technology in their games, but boy were their games buggy. The SCI engine is supposed to be pretty horrible, as well. Nowhere near as nice as SCUMM.
Old 07-13-2006, 04:02 PM   #90
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
I have 600... How did you manage to get those extra 20? (10 from day one, but what about the other 10).
I'm not exactly sure... my max score on the morning of Day 4 is 610.

EDIT: Kuru may have had Robin go down to the pub in disguise... you get 10 points if you wait around a bit and look closely at the barkeep's movements.

Quote:
To be fair, Sierra did push a lot of new technology in their games, but boy were their games buggy. The SCI engine is supposed to be pretty horrible, as well. Nowhere near as nice as SCUMM.
That is saying something, since I've heard SCUMM was especially horrible when programmers tried to add in new features, so much so that LEC nearly abandoned it altogether when making The Dig in the early 1990's.

But SCI didn't have all the features SCUMM had, or picked them up only later; witness the lack of true scrolling screens and the early SCI games' inability to dynamically scale character sprites. Even when scaled sprites were added, Sierra games often made the mistake of letting them be scaled UP into pixely blobs.

Last edited by ATMachine; 07-13-2006 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:32 PM   #91

Hehe, this is a way cool idea. If my discs weren't several provinces away I'd love to play through this again, though I have admittedly played through it at least eight times when I was a wee pup.

I think those of you who are doing this for the first time are very lucky, in particular the day where you get to recreate some classic Robin Hood legendia (that part is cool, but the part before it is my absolute fave section of the game for sheer hilarity).

I'm also going to be following this section too see how much wailing and gnashing of teeth occurs a couple days afterwards. Hehe. "Old man oak and father tree..."
Old 07-13-2006, 08:48 PM   #92
Elegantly copy+pasted

And for Day 2:

Maximum points: 460 (260 at start, 100 to save Marian and 100 for her shoe)
Minimum points: 0 (-100 at start, 100 for her shoe)
Minimum points that don't lead to a dead end later: 100
Old 07-13-2006, 09:18 PM   #93
Grah! Grah!

Quote:
Minimum points: 0 (-100 at start, 100 for her shoe)
Minimum points that don't lead to a dead end later: 100
Actually, it's possible to skip getting the shoe. If you leave it, Much (I think that's his name) will find it and give it to you at the end of the day. It's amazing how forgiving the design of this game is. Similarly, I've noticed that the game leads you by the hand a bit when walking around the forest, for example, even if you walk far west, past the huge tree you eventually end up at the Watling Street overlook.

Another thing I like and had forgotten about is how well done the death scenes are. In the area of being entertaining rather than frustrating I think they even outdo the Space Quest games.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:26 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine
I'm not exactly sure... my max score on the morning of Day 4 is 610.

EDIT: Kuru may have had Robin go down to the pub in disguise... you get 10 points if you wait around a bit and look closely at the barkeep's movements.
Yup, that's it. I know it'd be more "logical" to do it on day 5 (or 6*), but I was exploring the town, and the point is to get the max score.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkface
Actually, it's possible to skip getting the shoe. If you leave it, Much (I think that's his name) will find it and give it to you at the end of the day.
Which means I'll have to revise the min score yet again.

Spoiler:
Incidentally, and though I doubt anybody cares, I vote for doing the church on day 5 and the monastery on day 6.
Old 07-14-2006, 04:56 AM   #95

yay, im sooo stupid, i went to town(pub) and saves just when i entered pub..HAhahah and now I got seized, and have to begin from scratch....cool?
Old 07-14-2006, 05:24 AM   #96
Elegantly copy+pasted

This is a game where you really need to keep multiple saves.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:54 AM   #97

Is this game anything like the Star Trek Final Unity game? I mean in terms of multiple ways to solve puzzles, good and bad ways, and having to experiment with waiting around a lot when you have no idea that you should to start with?
Old 07-14-2006, 06:59 AM   #98
Retired Buccaneer

Quote:
Spoiler:
Incidentally, and though I doubt anybody cares, I vote for doing the church on day 5 and the monastery on day 6.
Spoiler:
I agree with you there; it seems the more 'heroic' thing to do, since the campfire scene at day 5's end is a lot less melancholy if you rescue the three boys first.

But I've always found it tricky to stop the Abbey Monk on the crossroads instead of the Fens Monk. It's not enough just to walk down to the street; you have to click the HAND on the Abbey Monk as he passes, and I'm not sure how many people will figure that out...
Old 07-14-2006, 07:09 AM   #99

Send a message via MSN to Ledz

Quote:
Spoiler:
But I've always found it tricky to stop the Abbey Monk on the crossroads instead of the Fens Monk. It's not enough just to walk down to the street; you have to click the HAND on the Abbey Monk as he passes, and I'm not sure how many people will figure that out...
Spoiler:
If memory serves me, it simply has to do with coming with clicking on the top or the bottom of watling street, whichever is across from the one you want to meet.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:11 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledz
Spoiler:
If memory serves me, it simply has to do with coming with clicking on the top or the bottom of watling street, whichever is across from the one you want to meet.
That's how I remember it too.