You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Tony tough? What is it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2004, 05:20 PM   #1

Default Tony tough? What is it?

Hello, i'm new around here and would welcome some info about this game.
I've read some reviews and some words like sam and max and great 2d game, but i don't know, it looks strange... Is it funny? Intelligent? Worth it?
Old 01-06-2004, 06:55 PM   #2

Default Tony Tough

Just my humble opinion but it's a fairly mediocre game. It clearly loses something in the translation from Italian, because the lines come out phrased oddly which undercuts the humor. Additionally, Tony's voice is unusually annoying. Understand, that's an argument that I NEVER make. I love odd character voices, but I feel that in this case, the problem is a rather lackluster performance moreso than from the voice itself. At any rate, he's hard to listen to for long periods of time. Also it ran quite buggy on my system, often too buggy to enjoy, but that may have just been an issue with my configuration. But if you've already tracked down and played all the classic LucasArts and Sierra Adventure games, Tony is worth playing. I'm just trying to keep your expectations down, Tony never comes close to Sam and Max and I'm not just being nostalgic.

--Ryan
Old 01-06-2004, 10:13 PM   #3
guybrush_guy

tony tought = good, if it was released back when adventure games were extreamly popular i think it would of recived critisim becuse there were a million better games out. but in all this said. yes tony tough is a good game. you could probibly compair the game to gilbert goodmate.

p.s it was'nt buggy on my system

Old 01-06-2004, 10:27 PM   #4
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static_A_Matic
Just my humble opinion but it's a fairly mediocre game. It clearly loses something in the translation from Italian, because the lines come out phrased oddly which undercuts the humor. Additionally, Tony's voice is unusually annoying. Understand, that's an argument that I NEVER make. I love odd character voices, but I feel that in this case, the problem is a rather lackluster performance moreso than from the voice itself. At any rate, he's hard to listen to for long periods of time. Also it ran quite buggy on my system, often too buggy to enjoy, but that may have just been an issue with my configuration. But if you've already tracked down and played all the classic LucasArts and Sierra Adventure games, Tony is worth playing. I'm just trying to keep your expectations down, Tony never comes close to Sam and Max and I'm not just being nostalgic.
Totally, TOTALLY disagree on the voice acting. All the voices are done by AudioGodz, and the professional quality shows. One thing the game does not have is bad performances. If you're annoyed by the Urkel-esque tone of Tony's voice, that's one thing, but it's definitely not a bad performance. I happened to think it was a perfect fit for the character, as were most of the voices. With the exception of the ludicrously hard puzzles, Tony's a really good game; sure it doesn't come close to Sam & Max, but then again Fight Club never came close to Apocalypse Now--it's still a great movie.

- Evan

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."
Old 01-06-2004, 11:59 PM   #5
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

I didn't play all the way through my copy, not because it was BAD but because it simply didn't grab me at all. I gave it several chances but it seemed very underwhelming. I wasn't getting enough enjoyment to bother finishing. If you're hard up for new point and clicks, you may as well pick it up (I think it's pretty cheap these days) but don't expect to be blown away.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright
Old 01-07-2004, 06:22 AM   #6
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

The music was buggy... So I got depressed and hid it behind my shelf.

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 01-07-2004, 09:26 AM   #7
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by guybrush_guy
but in all this said. yes tony tough is a good game. you could probibly compair the game to gilbert goodmate.
Never played Tony, but that statement is self-contradictory in my book.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:41 AM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to Firefoot Send a message via MSN to Firefoot

I played Tony Tough and found it worthwhile playing it!

Emma is unbeatable, but here are My DVD's...
Old 01-07-2004, 11:02 AM   #9

I also found it to be quite entertaining, but then again I also didn't think Gilbert Goodmate was that bad either.
Old 01-07-2004, 12:33 PM   #10
guybrush_guy

i thought gilbert goodmate was a goodgame as well. the only thing i did'nt like were the buggy movie sceens. i'm not sure if it was me who only had this problem

Old 01-07-2004, 12:38 PM   #11

Thanks. Maybe the reviews I read here bit kind on the game because it was released during a really dark time to adventure games...
I have a real problem (hate, hate) with buggy adventure games (runaway for example, arghhh), and this looks like one, maybe there a budget version out there.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:11 PM   #12
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static_A_Matic
Tony's voice is unusually annoying.
--Ryan
Even more annoying than Chewy from ESC from F5? :eek:
I certaintly hope not!