You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure A Vampyre Story has a publisher!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-04-2006, 05:18 AM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
So it will be "much more original" because...?
The story, how I've read it, is that the main character was turned into a vampyre and she only has a certain amount of time to change back into a human. it does sound a little cliched, and I wouldn't say it was original, but the execution is what matters.

My favourite AG (Discworld Noir) is heavily cliched as it's a parody of all fairytales, noir movies and fantasies before. Broken Sword isn't that original compared to a number of Pariot books or the sorts, but it's the magic that these games have.

I mean, The Longest Journey had an original story but look at the pile of s**t half of it ended up being?

Sorry, I'm babbling on again.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:11 AM   #62
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax
but the execution is what matters.
*sigh* I have already agreed with that opinion in my last post, haven't I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
originality doesn't equal quality
For the last time, I'm not saying that AVS is going to be bad, or, for that matter, that it won't be original. I, and a couple of others, were simply asking how can anyone proclaim its originality based on about a dozen of little-revealing, if pretty, screenshots pieces of concept art.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:23 AM   #63
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Based on the team behind this (hellooooo Bill Tiller!), I think we can all rest assured this is going to be fantastic adventure gaming goodness. I expect nothing less!
Old 07-04-2006, 12:24 PM   #64

Send a message via ICQ to qrious

We published a new interview with Bill Tiller here :
http://adventureadvocate.gr/html/pag...interviews.php
Enjoy

Last edited by qrious; 07-05-2006 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-04-2006, 06:16 PM   #65
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramax
I mean, The Longest Journey had an original story but...
Eh....not really.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:44 AM   #66
Grah! Grah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
Who said he's a writer or designer for the game?
I suppose I kind of assumed so, what with it seemingly being his concept and that he appears to be the driving force behind the project. It's also possible I read it in some interview a while back, but I'd have no idea where. The new adventure advocate interview gives that impression too. And anyway, even if others are handling writing and design they remain every bit as much of an unknown, if not more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrious
We published a new interview with Bill Tiller here :
http://adventureadvocate.gr/html/pag...interviews.php
Enjoy
Good interview. I may not be ready to enthusiastically jump behind the game as a whole, but using the Secret of Monkey Island as a model for design is definitely an encouraging sign. I've found myself gawking at the two boathouse images continually over the past few hours. You wouldn't be able clarify if the coloured one is a screenshot or just a concept, would you?

I'm eager to learn more about how exactly the 3D approach will work. If the camera simply moves from side to side it's not such a big deal; parallax scrolling has served us well for years. On the other hand, I keep having, perhaps premature, visions of the camera beginning the boathouse scene in a close view, like the second picture, then gloriously pulling back as Mona descends the stairs, settling on a wide view similar to the uncoloured sketch. That would be something I could definitely get excited over.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:05 PM   #67
is not wierd

Did you see the "trailer" at http://www.amegames.com/vs/gallery.htm ? Not sure if it's prerendered or what, though......but the animation looks great.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:30 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkface
I'm eager to learn more about how exactly the 3D approach will work. If the camera simply moves from side to side it's not such a big deal; parallax scrolling has served us well for years. On the other hand, I keep having, perhaps premature, visions of the camera beginning the boathouse scene in a close view, like the second picture, then gloriously pulling back as Mona descends the stairs, settling on a wide view similar to the uncoloured sketch. That would be something I could definitely get excited over.
I vaguely recall an old interview (maybe on the AME forum even?) where Bill said it's akin to the old Disney cartoon features like Snow White, which definitely do zoom in and out of the frames / layers to give the scene depth.

Now I really hope I'm remembering right!

Ahh - here we go (from this old AG thread);

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Tiller
The Game will be in 3d, but not look like Escape from monkey Island. By the way EMI could have looked a lot better and still be in 3d, just look at Grim Fandango. But the problem was the lack of experience in the Art Director, who is great guy and very, very good animator- one of the best I have seen. But Peter Chan, Bill Eakan and I are all very experienced illustrators so that is why all the previous Lucas Adventure Games looked so good. The EMI Art director was an animator so things like color and lighting were not his specialty. But there were plenty of good artist in that team, especially Kathy Hseih, and Eddie Del Rio.

So AVS will be in 3d BUT,,,,not the way you think. I am a big fan of the early Disney movies, and one Oscar winning short in particular really influenced me. It was called The Old Mill. http://disney.go.com/vault/archives/...l/oldmill.html It was mood film, meaning it didn’t really have plot, but for good reason. It wasa test film for a new technique called multiplane camera. So we are going to do is make a virtual multiplane camera using your PC’s 3d card. The backgrounds will be painted in 2d but placed on 3d planes. This will allows us to keep the backgrounds looking 2d and hand painted, but we get to vreate the illusion of depth and perspective. It wil be really nice. I have already doen test, that isn’t ready to show but it looks good. I want to polish the test up and bit an dthen I will post it in the gallery section.

The characters will be 3d however, and there are so many good reasons to do this. First, 3d models save on animation time, though the time modeling the characters probably negates this benefit. Mona is an asymmetrical- meaning she isn’t even on both sides- character which would have been cost prohibitive to do in 2d. With 3d models it is easy to zoom in an do close ups during cut scenes and dialogue. This will allow us to do more subtle acting with her facial expressions, though, as I have been taught by Joe Ranft, never rely solely on facial expression when doing acting.

Also we want to make changes to her outfits during the game. If we did this in 2d we’d have to redo all her animations- at least two months worth of work! In 3D we just change the model and use the same animations. With 3d models we get use dynamic lighting, which will darken and light the models correctly based on where they stand, and the light can vary in value like a torch flame or a flashing light. We can also use a lot great 3D effects that would have been expensive in 2d such as rain, snow, water, moving clouds and real time light blooming.

3d characters and animation is just so powerful we can’t not do it. And those of you who are a bit cynical and think we are doing 3D animation to increase sale- well in some ways your right, we do want adventure games to reach as many people as possible, and if 3d helps do that, great, but it is absolutely not the main reason at all. I have just been doing 3d animated games since 1997 (Indy Infernal Machine, Bounty Hunter, Full Throttle II, The Two Towers, The Suffering, LA Rush) and it is the medium I am used to. Going back to purely 2d animation is too confining and time consuming. Don't get me wrong. i love 2d animtion like my friends Gendy Tartikovsky, Brain Andrews and Paul Ruddish did on Samuri Jack and Clone Wars. But for us, in games, 3d is such a great tool.

But rest assured the backgrounds will look very 2D, hand painted by me, MAria Bowen and Bill Eaken. It should look great. This I am not worried about. What I worry about is the length of the game and if it is funny enough. Those are the two things that keep me up at night. But art doesn’t.

I will probably devote a page about this subject on the AME web site soon, probably make a video. I get asked this question all the time so I figure I should just do a video and send people the link.

Last edited by jp-30; 07-06-2006 at 09:44 PM.
Old 07-07-2006, 03:55 AM   #69

http://www.crimsoncow.de/index2.html
Old 07-07-2006, 05:19 AM   #70
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Never heard of them.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 07-07-2006, 06:52 AM   #71

This is the German publisher who published Runaway, The Westerner (those 2 together with dtp) and Fred & Jeff in Germany. Soon they will publish Runaway 2 together with dtp. Today they announced that they acquired the worldwide rights for A Vampyre Story. According to the press release the game will be released next year.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:25 AM   #72
Hopeful skeptic

Nice to be able to add the word "reputable" to "German publisher" this time, or else there'd be a whole lot of deja vu going on around here.
Old 07-07-2006, 07:25 AM   #73

if am not mistaken dtp bought the domains avampyrestory-game.com and avampyrestory-game.de
Old 07-07-2006, 07:36 AM   #74
Hitch-Hiker

For some reason Im very much looking forward to Runaway 2, I didnt like Runaway 1 so much but its something about that game...

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

Old 07-07-2006, 07:48 AM   #75
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Runaway 2 and Vampyre are the two biggies I am looking forward to playing. When is Runaway 2 coming? soon I think?!
Old 07-07-2006, 07:52 AM   #76
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
For some reason Im very much looking forward to Runaway 2, I didnt like Runaway 1 so much but its something about that game...
Yep. The graphics. 2D background art still rocks.

--Erwin
Old 07-08-2006, 01:56 AM   #77
LGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Nice to be able to add the word "reputable" to "German publisher" this time, or else there'd be a whole lot of deja vu going on around here.
Yeah, I can suppose that a "dĂ©jĂ* vu" must have been the first reaction for some people around here.

I guess Crimson must have been pretty convincing in order to get Bill Tiller to sign another deal with a German publisher. Or Autumn Moon must have been pretty desasperated

In any case, Crimson Cow DOES exist, they HAVE published some games and they HAVE not been created during a birthday celebration of The Inventory

That said, this IS their first interational production and it IS a pretty small company (much smaller than the German adventure giant dtp/Anaconda, who currently also tries to step into the international adventure market with title like Overclocked and Tony Tough 2).

Anyway, I wish Crimson a lot of luck with this fascinating project!

Last edited by LGH; 07-08-2006 at 02:04 AM.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:41 PM   #78
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
Yep. The graphics. 2D background art still rocks.

--Erwin
Yep, every screenshot & trailer of that game looks lush and rich. I'm definatly going to buy it, I'm sure its improved much more game design wise now that Pendulo have more experience.

_

Old 07-08-2006, 10:53 PM   #79
Grah! Grah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp-30
I vaguely recall an old interview (maybe on the AME forum even?) where Bill said it's akin to the old Disney cartoon features like Snow White, which definitely do zoom in and out of the frames / layers to give the scene depth.

Now I really hope I'm remembering right!

Ahh - here we go (from this old AG thread);
Yeah, I remembered the Disney comparison, but it's been too long since I've seen those movies. Thanks for confirming how the camera worked in them and for posting that interview quote... I wonder if that video's still on its way...
Old 07-09-2006, 06:55 AM   #80

Send a message via AIM to Justice3838

Yee-haw.