You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure A Vampyre Story has a publisher!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2006, 03:53 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange Brat
All of the "poor Metronome" lines are funny. People were saying the same thing about poor Vampyre and then out of the blue a publisher is announced. Actually, it isn't out of the blue. The cat was let out of the bag weeks and months ago on the official forum along with all kinds of juicy info. on exactly what they're trying to do(technologically) with the title. It's a 3D, 2D game and not in the 2.5D way we're used to. It's being made with a full 3D engine, and they're going to use the "trendy" parallax scrolling fad that we see in a lot fo commercials and music videos these days. Cool, detailed 2D drawings/paintings set in a 3D world with lots of layering. Batman: The Animated Series made heavy use of this technique for their backgrounds back in the early 90s, so I now it will be a fantastic look if executed properly.

As for Al Emmo, there's nothing wrong with it. Someone mentioned something about poor perspective. Sorry, but it's not poor, it's stylized and consistent. It was done that way on purpose and it was done in a lot of old, Sierra titles.

That's as cliche as it gets. Vampires for one....a female protagonist is two(and I'll be she's "strong and independent"...that's 3). There's a comic sidekick....4. Finding her way in the world and not wanting to be what she is(i.e. moping)...that 5 and 6. It sounds a lot like the Sally subplot from A Nightmare Before Christmas.

There's nothing new under the sun!
Old 07-02-2006, 05:39 PM   #42
It's Hard To Be Humble

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuestVR
There's nothing new under the sun!
Well, except for the latest UV Block protection, that is.

Yeah, it's hard to come up with a rousing and refreshing combination of no doubt familiar ideas and tropes without some jaded expert or another yelling 'He's got no clothes on!' Still, it's no excuse not to try.
Old 07-02-2006, 07:23 PM   #43
GoT

Send a message via MSN to GoT

this is AWESOME, i have vampyre story webpage on my favourites and i check it daily incase there's a news post and i havn't checked it since last week because i was away. Then i log on this morning and what do i see??!! AWESOME NEWS and CONGRATS! I'll definetly be spending my hard earned money on your awesome looking game! Congratulations to you all and good luck for the release!

GoT
Old 07-02-2006, 10:31 PM   #44

Quote:
That's as cliche as it gets. Vampires for one....a female protagonist is two(and I'll be she's "strong and independent"...that's 3). There's a comic sidekick....4. Finding her way in the world and not wanting to be what she is(i.e. moping)...that 5 and 6. It sounds a lot like the Sally subplot from A Nightmare Before Christmas.
Uh oh, tough crowd.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:10 AM   #45

Because some people actually realize how cliche the game seems automatically means they're not pleased with it?

I love the look of the game, and I'm really looking forward to it. It makes me particular giddy that they've had a big inspiration from Monkey Island. You know, in Monkey Island you'd think "if I was a pirate, I'd just use my sword right here" and such - but this time we're a vampyre. We're going to get to do all the things a vampire could do (within a certain degree, of course).
Old 07-03-2006, 01:58 AM   #46

I always take the term "cliche" as a negative one when it comes to describing a story / character etc.

If you're off touting that the game is cliche and that you love it, well, good for you. Not the choice of words I'd use myself, but there really is no point in arguing semantics.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:25 AM   #47
In an evening of July...

So, how is the development progressing? When do we get to see the final game?
Old 07-03-2006, 02:30 AM   #48
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AG's news
There's still a while to wait for fans, however, as the game is only in the final stages of pre-production, with a general target date of late next year.
Old 07-03-2006, 06:14 AM   #49

Great news indeed. I have mighty high hopes for AVS. Hearing how well things went at E3 was definitely a good sign. Now we can sit back and let them flesh out this beautiful game!
Old 07-03-2006, 07:02 AM   #50
Grah! Grah!

While I don't have the same limitless enthusiasm for this game a lot of people seem to (yeah, it'll definitely look great, but I'm not sure we know enough about Tiller's writing and design talents to get excited over the game as a whole yet), this is really wonderful news. I hope development goes as smoothly as possible for them from this point on.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:36 AM   #51

Quote:
That's as cliche as it gets. Vampires for one...
A vampire as a protagonist is cliche? I must have missed loads of adventure titles somehow.
Quote:
....a female protagonist is two...
Don't you think you're overreacting a bit? There's only two choices in this area you know, and the other certainly isn't less cliche.
Quote:
...(and I'll bet she's "strong and independent"...that's 3).
You don't even know that, now you're just guessing!
Old 07-03-2006, 11:38 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp-30
I always take the term "cliche" as a negative one when it comes to describing a story / character etc.

If you're off touting that the game is cliche and that you love it, well, good for you. Not the choice of words I'd use myself, but there really is no point in arguing semantics.
To my knowledge, cliche is a neutral word. Buying a red rose for you lover, getting on your knees to propose etc. Do you see these things as negatives too?
Old 07-03-2006, 12:30 PM   #53

If my prospective fiancee replied to the question with "Uhh, cliche", then yes, yes I would.
Old 07-03-2006, 12:40 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkface
(yeah, it'll definitely look great, but I'm not sure we know enough about Tiller's writing and design talents to get excited over the game as a whole yet)
Who said he's a writer or designer for the game?
Old 07-03-2006, 01:53 PM   #55
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp-30
If my prospective fiancee replied to the question with "Uhh, cliche", then yes, yes I would.
So wait, being a cliche isn't negative, until someone points out the cliche-ness? I'm confused.

Regardless, the whole semantic argument has started because somebody claimed that, based on the dozen or so pictures we've seen, AVS is going to be one of the most original among recent/upcoming adventure games. I wish all the best to the Autumn Moon, but it's way too little info to draw such conclusions from.

(Obviously originality doesn't equal quality, but that's another discussion altogether.)
Old 07-03-2006, 02:43 PM   #56
Under pressure.

Almost everything is a cliche. Even THAT is a cliche remark.

--Erwin
Old 07-03-2006, 03:05 PM   #57
Slim Shady

Even to tell something cliche is cliche . Man, what a paradox
Old 07-03-2006, 07:28 PM   #58
is not wierd

I don't see how this game looks to be cliche at all. Granted I know nothing of the story, just that you play some female vampyre. Clearly it's taken some inspiration from Nightmare Before Chirstmas for design and such, but really how often is that used in adventure games, or games in general no less. It looks like it'll be a vampire/horror comedy (judging from the style), which I don't see happening in games too often either. Seems pretty cool to me at this point.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:10 PM   #59
GoT

Send a message via MSN to GoT

At least being a vampire story we're pretty much assured of some degree of atmosphere in the game. A lot of adventures lack atmosphere which is sad because they're all mainly story based computer games and as such you'd expect some atmosphere. I can remember some games i've played in the past that have had some pretty cool atmosphere, like "the dig" which gave u such a great eerie and alone type feeling. Some of the other games can give u an aura of danger and such but i reckon this one will do a pretty good job of it. I mean, just browsing thru the pics will give u a hint of what is to come.

GoT
Old 07-04-2006, 02:12 AM   #60
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Oooh, I've been looking forward to this.

So much has happened since it's first announcement. It's about time we get our hands on it.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!