You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure I think Dreamfall is absolutely amazing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
Roman5

Default I think Dreamfall is absolutely amazing

Yeah, whaddayaknow, another dreamfall thread. I could have replied in one of the various threads, but I wanted to make a point that gets seen. And we do need another dreamfall thread!

Now maybe it's because I've played so many games recently and not watched many movies or much TV of late that I love dreamfall so much, but I'm having a ball sitting back watching all the cutscenes and following the very interesting and absorbing story. Actually I really DON'T care that there aren't many puzzles because I have plenty of other 'puzzle' adventures on the go anyway. But there's lots of things to click on, buttons to press, and stunning locations which is keeping me happy. And the puzzles/errands that are in the game are fun if not very challenging. Like a great book, I simply cannot put this game down. It's very addictive, all consuming and has got me hooked 110%. Fantastic voice acting and scenery, and the ever changing environments and character control from chapter to chapter keeps it from getting stale. In short, I cannot fault Dreamfall and I'm amazed there are so many people that find fault with it. Can you tell I like dreamfall?

* loads recent save game and continues...*

Last edited by Roman5; 06-28-2006 at 12:51 PM.

Old 06-28-2006, 01:11 PM   #2

Just don't start up another thread when you get to chapter 5, and when you finish it
Old 06-28-2006, 01:20 PM   #3
Roman5

Oh I already finished chapter 5. And I'm glad crow is back, forgot about him. He's hilarious.

Old 06-28-2006, 01:27 PM   #4

I really didn't enjoy the story at all - but I've moaned about it in other threads, so rather than ruin yours - I'm genuinely curious as to what you find so great about it.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:23 PM   #5
Roman5

Quote:
Originally Posted by noknowncure
I really didn't enjoy the story at all - but I've moaned about it in other threads, so rather than ruin yours - I'm genuinely curious as to what you find so great about it.
It's like watching/interacting with a great movie such as lord of the rings. The whole cinematic production is slick as anything. Attention to detail is second to none. It's got everything in it really. How many games mix up modern day 'moment of silence' type environments with medieval locations? And it works very well too. It's got monsters and beasts which look really good and sound really good. It's got magic. It's got humour. It's got emotion. It's got drama. And it's got some puzzles. I dunno, I started the game with pre-concenceptions based on what everyone was saying about it and wasn't impressed at all when starting out in casablanca, especially whilst playing games like paradise and secrets of davinci which require real thinking. But it's nice now and again to make a game move along so you can see what's next without being bogged down with tricky puzzles. I was expecting a boring, too much dialogue based game. Well yeah, it has plenty of dialogue but it's all very interesting to listen to. Maybe my opinion will change when I finish it, but I can't see why. I can't remember much about the puzzles in the original longest journey as to how they compare because it's years since I played it, but I believe I'm enjoying the overall game as much. It's probably fair to say that I'm more easily pleased or more forgiving with adventure games than some others.

Old 06-28-2006, 02:27 PM   #6

I liked Zoe a lot, but it's probably because she really reminds me of a girl I once knew very well. Apart from that on retrospect I didn't like most of the story either. I might change my mind on the conclusion.
Old 06-28-2006, 03:53 PM   #7
It's Hard To Be Humble

Probably not. There isn't one, remember?
Old 06-28-2006, 04:33 PM   #8
Staff Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman5
But there's lots of things to click on, buttons to press,
No there aren't, Dreamfall probably has a lower interaction density than sodding Syberia, and that's saying something.

I did like the game though; review here http://musicallysound.blogspot.com
Old 06-28-2006, 05:00 PM   #9
It's Hard To Be Humble

Well, that's relative. There are plenty of things to click on and observe, as all three characters. Sadly, it still doesn't 'feel' like there was much, particularly when whole sectons of the environments were practically ignored, by one or more of the characters, who at best would just name the object, and at worst would ignore it entirely.

Still, there was a fair bit going on in this game, and lots of stuff to gawk at. Just not enough to satisfy our collective itch. I actually think Dreamfall had far more to observe and interact with than Syberia did. However, with Syberia and its sequel finishing the story, we have more idea of what we were being kept waiting for. With Dreamfall, it's hard to see why we have nothing to say about some really nice scenery, and why one character will comment about signs or creatures, and another will just walk right on by.

I think it's the constraints of making the game in 3D. That's not a great excuse, and I hope for a breakthrough in technology that fixes that problem, but still, it seem sto me that this year is not the year to expect TLJ depth and breadth in persistent 3D.

Hopefully soon.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:50 AM   #10
Roman5

( I just posted pretty much the same reply below in a thread on another forum in case anyone sees it there, but I'm posting it here too since there are only really a couple of adventure forums I go to that are worthy of discussion about dreamfall.)

So anyway I just finished the game and loved it. If ever a game has drawn me to love characters, it was this one. I couldn't help but feel totally drawn in by Zoe's personality, the way she looked, and the cute way she ran. I almost cried in the ending scenes with the little girl faith about to die and Zoe dieing in the hospital bed, I felt a lump in my throat.

I thought the story, albeit very sad and depressing at the end, an incredible one. I too am unclear about certain details but I see Dreamfall as nothing less than a masterpiece. An utterly beautiful game.

Regarding april dieing, Zoe is told at the end by faith that she did save april. I can only guess that april being killed could be seen as being saved by putting her out of her misery so to speak. There are references by characters in the story which are negative towards her pointless purpose in rebelling against the azadi. She had basically lost direction in her life. Just a guess. Questions I have:
Wasn't faith letting go and dieing supposed to mess up the dreamcore? Yet that didn't seem to be the case, the baddies were still around. What exactly was the meaning of brian westhouse in a buddhist temple at the start of the game being sent to the storytime place? Was that supposed to be part of the dreamnet thing? What was that undreamer thing that brian was scared of? And when zoe ends up in storytime at the end, is she meant to be in a kind of heaven, hell or dreamstate? Those are the sort of things that I don't understand and I'm sure many don't. I wonder if we're meant to simply create our own conclusions, and that perhaps beyond the main story of living lucid dreams, that the game creators actually don't have any concrete answers themselves.

Btw, here is the real Zoe Castillo.

Old 06-29-2006, 10:11 AM   #11
merely human

Wow! She's gorgeous!
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-29-2006, 10:27 AM   #12
Roman5

She sure is a babe. When I connect to my own dreamnet tonight, I'll be having lucid dreams about her that's for certain.