You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Strange voice acting in Moment of Silence & Mystery of the Druids

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2006, 03:10 PM   #1

Default Strange voice acting in Moment of Silence & Mystery of the Druids

I am just starting to play Moment of Silence, and something about the voice acting/script is bothering me. It's exactly the same thing that bothered me in Mystery of the Druids, which I find is by the same team.
What is bothering me is that for every couple of perfectly normal lines, there's another line with strange phrasing, or lack of pause or punctuation. I think it's the script, coupled with the voice actor's trying sometimes to interpret a strange line in the way it wasn't intended to be said.

I'm not sure the girl who Peter talks to online is really an example, I think she's just meant to be very weird. However, here are just a few of the things that Peter says that come off as really odd:

"Was anybody else on the street beside you, of course." which is missing pauses, punctuation and correct words. It should probably be more like 'Was anybody else in the street? Besides you, of course.'

"Oh I think there she comes" If anything, it should be "Oh, I think... [pause] Here she comes". It's pretty jarring.

Don't get me wrong, i'm enjoying the game (unlike MotD) but it makes me concious of the dialogue all the time. I'm wondering if the entire script was written once in another language and then translated, and so sometimes some sentences slip through the gaps? I think that House of Tales are German.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:36 PM   #2

Yeah, it`s probably an error that has occurred during the translation from german.

Is it just the speech, or is it the text, too?
Old 06-26-2006, 03:45 PM   #3
Super Moderator

House of Tales is German.

Check this thread from the developers chat
Old 06-26-2006, 03:55 PM   #4

Ahh, now it makes sense. That thread reminds me that at the time of Mystery of the Druids, I asked them if they wanted an English writer to check over the dialogue. I had to review that game for the old BBC website.