You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2006, 08:33 AM   #1
Second Degree Black Belt

Default Who Done it games

Can I get somehelp with this problem that I am having please. I like the "who done it"games. I have played -

Still Life
Jack the Ripper
CSI 1,2 and 3
CSI Miami and some Nancy Drew games, but I am looking for something that will kind'a scary the Holy *#@* out of me and I still want the mystery to go with it. I know that this might be a tall order or this type of game not even be out there. What do you think am I just pissing in the wind ?

Thanks

“Pretty badass and tough and won't take crap from anyone” -Squinky
Old 06-24-2006, 08:36 AM   #2
fov
Rattenmonster

Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None is a classic "who done it?", although it probably won't scare the crap out of you.

You might also check out this one that I posted about yesterday... it's similar in construction to And Then There Were None and I'm finding it very well done. Even a little scary.

If you enjoyed the CSI games, you might also like the Law & Order games.

I can think of some scary games, but not necessarily with the "who done it?" element. The Gabriel Knight games sort of have both (especially GK2).
Old 06-24-2006, 08:45 AM   #3

How about 7th Guest and 11th Hour? Cheesy but I bet they're cheap these days.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:57 AM   #4
Slim Shady

I would recommend Gabriel Knight series 1-3 also you might like the Ripper and Phantasmagoria 2
Old 06-24-2006, 10:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov

I can think of some scary games, but not necessarily with the "who done it?" element. The Gabriel Knight games sort of have both (especially GK2).
I think GK3 is even better if you like real "who done it"s as, unlike GK2, it is up to you to notice the details and the evolution of the plot.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:31 AM   #6
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None is a classic "who done it?", although it probably won't scare the crap out of you.

You might also check out this one that I posted about yesterday... it's similar in construction to And Then There Were None and I'm finding it very well done. Even a little scary.

If you enjoyed the CSI games, you might also like the Law & Order games.

I have played Agatha Christie(ATTWN) I will check out that link b/c it looks pretty cool, and I have also played a couple of the Law and order games. The only one I havent tried was GK games. I guess that will be my next stop.

Thanks

Old 06-24-2006, 10:33 AM   #7
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatchef
How about 7th Guest and 11th Hour? Cheesy but I bet they're cheap these days.
Hey thanks, I played the 7th guest last month and I am working on the 11th hour now. I had trouble running them on my PC so I have to alot of downloading files to help with the music and things like that in the game. It works much better now.

Old 06-24-2006, 10:36 AM   #8
Second Degree Black Belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
I would recommend Gabriel Knight series 1-3 also you might like the Ripper and Phantasmagoria 2

This is probley going to be a stupid question , but is Ripper the same as Jack the Ripper ? Please forgive me I'm blonde ..... but the Phantasmagoria is that a puzzle type game or a who done it? Just asking so that I will kind'a know what to look for.

Thanks

Old 06-24-2006, 10:40 AM   #9
Super Moderator

Solid Snake may be talking about this one:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/ripper

There were also 2 Jack the Rippers:

One in 1995: http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/ripper (haven't played)

One in 2004: http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/jack-the-ripper- (I played this and it didn't get good reviews)
Old 06-24-2006, 10:40 AM   #10
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog
This is probley going to be a stupid question , but is Ripper the same as Jack the Ripper ? Please forgive me I'm blonde ..... but the Phantasmagoria is that a puzzle type game or a who done it? Just asking so that I will kind'a know what to look for.

Thanks
Ripper takes place in the future and yes, it is referring to Jack the Ripper in a sense. The killer is imitating Jack the Ripper.

Phantasmagoria 2 isn't really a puzzle game, no. It's more of a inventory puzzle type of adventure game. And yes, it has a murder mystery of sorts where you don't know who the killer is.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:50 AM   #11
AVID

What about Cruise for a Corpse.

Its been years and years since I played this since i played it when it first came out on a Atari ST i think?

I remember it feeling very epic, and having one of the best endings, giving a load of story and looking really good.

Oh and back on topic when you got through all the clues and pint and click puzzles you ended up in a room with all the ships characters in a "I have gather you all here as I am going to tell you who the killer is" and then you had to point out who did the dastardly.

Very fond memories, great game.

-Lynx-
Old 06-24-2006, 10:53 AM   #12
Slim Shady

The right link for the 1995 jack the ripper game would be http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/jack-the-ripper
I remembered now you might also like In the dead of the night http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/in-the-dead-of-night

Last edited by Solid Snake; 06-24-2006 at 11:00 AM.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:16 PM   #13
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

I never thought I'd say that, but the Laura Bow games (Colonel's Bequest, Dagger of Amon Ra) may be to your liking since they are the very definition of "who done it?" adventures. Then again, provided that Sierra is the one who actually done it, be prepared for plenty of frustration, ridiculous and frequent deaths and even a fair share of dead-end situations along the way. Other than that you will get a genuine feeling of a virtual Agatha Cristie mystery and possibly the occational shivers in your spine.

Also, Black Dahlia, the descendant of aforementioned Ripper, falls into the murder mystery category with the strong addition of horror at several points. Better get armed with a walkthrough for this one though, since its puzzles will have you scream in terror even more than the video sequences will.

Proud supporter of Tex Murphy - Project Fedora
Old 06-24-2006, 01:32 PM   #14
SamNMax

Murder mystery doesn't nessessarily mean "whodunit." A whodunit mystery would have to have a group of people confined in one setting, usually a mansion or something along those lines, of which one of the persons is a killer. The detective of the group must find out whodunit, usually too late to save most of the people from getting killed.

So really the only whodunit games I can think of are the Laura Bow series and Cruise for a Corpse.

Old 06-24-2006, 01:36 PM   #15
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stroggy
I think GK3 is even better if you like real "who done it"s as, unlike GK2, it is up to you to notice the details and the evolution of the plot.
Yeah, agreed. GK2 is the only one of the three that really got me scared, though.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:07 PM   #16

I want to second Black Dahlia... great game despite the fact that there are some furstrating puzzles. I don't recall it being that scary though... it depends what you mean scary, if still life scared you then i believe black dahlia will too. The only game that scared me was darkfall, i wouldn't say that it's a typical "who done it" murder mystery but i think you may enjoy it anyway.
Old 06-24-2006, 04:12 PM   #17
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamNMax
Murder mystery doesn't nessessarily mean "whodunit." A whodunit mystery would have to have a group of people confined in one setting, usually a mansion or something along those lines, of which one of the persons is a killer.

Well, he did say Still Life was of his liking though (or at least that's how I understood it) and he also asked for some scary theme to go hand in hand with his mystery.
Your description of "whodunit" games, however, trigered "5 Days a Stranger" to spring into my mind as a good choice since it includes the element of suspence as well. Plus its more enjoyable than both Cruise for a Corpse and the Laura Bow games

Proud supporter of Tex Murphy - Project Fedora
Old 06-24-2006, 04:47 PM   #18
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
The right link for the 1995 jack the ripper game would be http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/jack-the-ripper
I remembered now you might also like In the dead of the night http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/in-the-dead-of-night
Whoops! Thanks for putting the right one in. Sloppy copying and pasting on my part.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:35 AM   #19
Second Degree Black Belt

WOW ! Thanks to you all that helps alot. Keep the games coming if you got them

Old 06-25-2006, 05:49 AM   #20

Black Mirror could be considered a "whodunit".