You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Random Innovation Thread!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2006, 08:34 AM   #1
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL
Default The Random Innovation Thread!

Just for fun, let's come up with all sorts of innovative ideas for adventure games.
It doesn't have to be nonsensical (though it can be, if you like),
It doesn't have to be a necessary step forward (though it can be, if you like),
It doesn't have to be a practical possibility (though it can be, if you like),
It doesn't have to be the greatest idea ever (though it can be, if you like) -
It just has to be new and creative!

For example, you can post an idea for:
  • An original story involving unusual characters, settings, or plot points
  • A type of puzzle you've never seen before
  • An unorthodox user interface
  • Or any combination of the above, or anything else you feel like sharing!

It can be as long or as short as you like.
It can be as wacky or as serious as you like.

The only rules:
  • It needs to be an adventure. Not a typical adventure!- We are, after all, looking for innovation.
    Just don't write up your idea for a Real-Time Strategy game! This is the Adventure forum.
  • It needs to be original. Don't just rip off other games you've played and call it a day.
    In what way it'll be original- well, that's up to you.
  • It has to sound like it would be either fun or intellectually stimulating to play.
    (Or even both! )
  • Enjoy yourself.

Last edited by MoriartyL; 06-22-2006 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:45 AM   #2

People may not agree but as far as I'm concerned the ultimate adventure would be a cross between a first person shooter (Simply the VR feel of it, not the violence) and a classic story driven adventure game.
There was a half life 2 mod that tried to do this called weekday warrior.. but the interface was weak, I found it difficult to control.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:10 AM   #3
merely human

How about this for innovation: BETTER MARKETING and PUBLICITY.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-22-2006, 09:41 AM   #4
Easily amused

I like the idea of tying in a game with a book so that they enhance one another, not just repeat (as with the GK series). I recently bought a book called Well of Tears that has an accompanying CD rom with representations of the fantasy world from the book, and that got me thinking. The idea would be to read the book and then play the game which would have the same characters and environment, but carry on from where the book left off. Or, you could go between the 2 as in alternating chapters.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:03 AM   #5
Not like them!

Very interesting concept. I suppose most of the plot progression would take place in the text, and then the exploration/puzzles would go into the adventure. To take the idea one step further, what if it weren't alternating, but overlapping? (I hope you don't mind me adding onto your idea.) Say the text were in digital form (though noninteractive), as one half of the program. That text would convey the plot in its most barebones form. (It would have to be illustrated to some small degree, so that the transition to adventure wouldn't be too jarring.) At any point, the player could then switch at will to the adventure mode and wander around town, learning more about the areas and people and collecting objects that will benefit in the text section (which is changed according to what has happened in the adventure mode to provide branching paths).

Bottom line: How the story is experienced is entirely up to the player/reader. If he feels like speeding through the story, he can do that. If he feels at any point like learning more about the story's world, he can switch to the adventure mode for long enough to talk to all the characters and look at all the objects and then go back. And if he wants to challenge his brain, he can try solving the puzzles in the gameworld and be rewarded with inventory items. Granted, this isn't exactly what you were talking about, but I think it could be really cool.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:11 AM   #6
merely human

That's good and fine, but it won't get the chance to sell unless it's marketed very well.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-22-2006, 10:15 AM   #7
Not like them!

I don't get it. Why do you keep posting about marketing? What's that got to do with anything? We're talking about innovation here, not practicality. Now, if you've got some idea for an innovative marketing technique specifically for adventures, then we should all hear it.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:21 AM   #8
gin soaked boy

Hostage negotiation game, maybe even played from several different perspectives (hostage, negotiator, terrorist).
Old 06-22-2006, 10:30 AM   #9

Send a message via ICQ to Iv4n

Well all this stuff with reading a book and playing a game sounds awesome. Further more, playing in a game that changes a text in a book is even more intersting. However, I think there were some similar ideas, like The Matrix, Animatrix and Matrix the game. All combined, they add something to the story.

To go one step further, I suggest that we make this on-line. I've imagine an adventure game for more than one person at time (and I believe it's not a new idea, and maybe that right now someone is working ot such idea). The idea is that two minds are greater than one. So they can chat with each others. Further more, some of the puzzles must be solved by two (or more) players at the same time etc.
However, the weakness of this idea is that some of the players may already played this game before, so they can act jerky with newbiews. It's an area which needs more thinking.

I believe that there are some PC components, such as microphones and art pads, which weren't used enough by developers. I mean it would be great to command a player to get things, investigate places etc. by speaking to microphone. Or imagine how great can be using a pen - writing notes, sketches, and then combine them and use them for solving puzzles. Not to mention the upcoming Wii.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:36 AM   #10
gin soaked boy

The book idea is interesting, but you're aware that most people don't want to read anything unless absolutely necessary? Hell, I like to read, and I'm not sure if I'd be interested in such a game.

But since this is an anything goes thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iv4n
I've imagine an adventure game for more than one person at time (and I believe it's not a new idea, and maybe that right now someone is working ot such idea). The idea is that two minds are greater than one. So they can chat with each others. Further more, some of the puzzles must be solved by two (or more) players at the same time etc.
Zork: Grand Inquisitor had a co-op mode. I never tried it out, though (haven't played through singleplayer yet either). Anyone wanna play?
Old 06-22-2006, 10:39 AM   #11
Ronin

Sure, but how are you going to generate PUBLICITY and MARKETTING?!

[Crapstorm filling in for Insipid Homonculus.]
Old 06-22-2006, 10:39 AM   #12
Not like them!

Heck, I don't like to read. But that doesn't mean it's not still a cool idea.

Okay, so for the lazy guys like me we could have a puppet-show version.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:42 AM   #13
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
I don't get it. Why do you keep posting about marketing? What's that got to do with anything? We're talking about innovation here, not practicality. Now, if you've got some idea for an innovative marketing technique specifically for adventures, then we should all hear it.
My little naive yet idealistic grasshopper, SEARCH and ye shall learn:

Your dream adventure game

Brainstorming the adventure game
Old 06-22-2006, 10:46 AM   #14
Psychonaut

As an adventure game fan, what is this innovation of which you speak?

Stop speaking in gibberish.

Just keep remaking Myst.

Old 06-22-2006, 10:47 AM   #15

Btw talking about mulriplay adventure games, why not come and join http://goodoldadventures.com/index.html ? It's a fun idea and a good realisation, but too bad it wasn't finished. King's Quest III is now quite actuall .
Old 06-22-2006, 10:48 AM   #16
Not like them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crapstorm
Sure, but how are you going to generate PUBLICITY and MARKETTING?!

[Crapstorm filling in for Insipid Homonculus.]
Hey, that gives me an idea! How about an adventure where you play a salesman? You go from town to town trying to make sales by ripping people off. Naturally, all the people you encounter will quickly try to get rid of you, so half the puzzles are about breaking into (or manipulating people into letting you into) their houses to keep making your sale, and the other half are about being as obnoxious as possible (and to as many people as possible) so that eventually you'll get sales.

Since this isn't the most complex plotline, there could be a bunch of funny supporting characters to round it out. First of all, you find a guy who genuinely wants to buy everything you're selling. (Yes, he really is that gullible.) He wants to so badly that he vows to follow you around endlessly until he gets enough money, because he's broke. So at first you reluctantly have him tag along as a sidekick, until he messes things up comically, and then you try to hide from him, and finally there's a puzzle to get rid of him.

Another character would be the villain, who's such a good samaritan he runs ahead of you and warns people about you. So you've got to discredit him somehow (Another wacky puzzle!) and make the sale anyway. Then there's the manufacturer himself, who is constantly being hunted down by lawyers suing over making faulty and dangerous products. So in order to get the products to sell, sometimes you've got to ward off the lawyers, sometimes you've got to search for where the manufacturer is hiding, and sometimes you've got to talk your way out of certain death with the customers who haven't gotten their products yet.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:48 AM   #17
Psychonaut

Publicity and Marketing in action.

WOW.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:55 AM   #18

Oh well, this idea sounds like ehrm... John deere american farmer deluxe... (I hope you don't know what this game is).
Old 06-22-2006, 11:47 AM   #19
gin soaked boy

We're all amateurs, now this sounds cool.

EDIT: Ah, shit, it's a cutesy Japanese RPG.

Last edited by insane_cobra; 06-22-2006 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:20 PM   #20
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
Zork: Grand Inquisitor had a co-op mode. I never tried it out, though (haven't played through singleplayer yet either). Anyone wanna play?
I would, if just to actually see this co-op in action, but I had already played the single-player.