Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Gamespy's raving Keepsake review (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/15503-gamespys-raving-keepsake-review.html)

phankiejankie 06-19-2006 06:27 AM

Gamespy's raving Keepsake review

It's not everyday you get a raving review for a more or less traditional p&c adventure game from mainstream press.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/keepsake/713084p1.html

jacog 06-19-2006 07:12 AM

She's absolutely right about the voice acting though... yeeesh! *shudder*

insane_cobra 06-19-2006 07:16 AM

What? Impossible! Doesn't mainstream press hate adventures?

ollie 06-19-2006 07:51 AM

It's interesting to notice how there's been no middle ground with Keepsake in all the reviews I read: either it was a disgrace or one of the best adventure games recently released. As for myself, I agree to the latter :)

But I have to disagree about the comments made in the review on the voice acting: though Lydia's voice was clearly short of being perfect, I found it to be better than Zak's, both in the english version of the game (which I completed) and in the US version (played the demo).

bysmitty 06-19-2006 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ollie
It's interesting to notice how there's been no middle ground with Keepsake in all the reviews I read: either it was a disgrace or one of the best adventure games recently released. As for myself, I agree to the latter :)

But I have to disagree about the comments made in the review on the voice acting: though Lydia's voice was clearly short of being perfect, I found it to be better than Zak's, both in the english version of the game (which I completed) and in the US version (played the demo).

^ Mimics my thoughts on the subject exactly.

Anyway, GameSpy is usually pretty fair with their reviews. Now PCgamer (US) giving Paradise a 79%, higher than most adventure sites, I find noteworthy.

...bysmitty

AFGNCAAP 06-19-2006 09:13 AM

I don't like Gamespy, and I am in that other half as far as Keepsake is concerned (admittedly, this impression is based on the demo alone). :P Nevertheless, good news.

Terramax 06-19-2006 10:20 AM

I'm with ya. I played the demo and felt by the end of it like throwing myself out of a building if it went on for much longer. Usually, in real life, if I'd met a talking wolf I'd wanna talk to him forever. But if it had such a queer voice like the one in this game I'd sell it to Prince Farquad in a hurry.:frusty:

phankiejankie 06-19-2006 10:50 PM

I've only played the demo too but Keepsake has a fair retail price around 30 euros so maybe I should it give it a try.

As for the review I believe it’s a very balanced one, exposing both the qualities and the flaws of the game. For mainstream press that usually bitches on everything that has to do with 2,5D p&c adventures, the reviewer stays focused on the game rather than the whole AGs are dead scheme.

Stoofa 06-20-2006 07:48 PM

I'm not crazy about that review. The reviewer spent a lot of time raving about Keepsake's hint system. The hint system is a good idea, I guess, but it's not IMO a huge part of the actual GAME. What would an AG be without puzzles?!

Quote:

If you still can't get it, or don't want to, the final step actually finishes the puzzle for you. This might seem like it makes things too easy, but you're guaranteed that you'll never get stuck on a nonsensical puzzle or need to search for an online walkthrough to finish the game.
If a puzzle is "nonsensical" it should count towards the quality of a game.