You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure A rock star text adventure?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2006, 04:14 AM   #1

Default A rock star text adventure?

Sorry if all my posts tend to be about half forgotten games and trying to identify them!

I remember a text adcenture game I probably played in 1997, but it's obviously from before then, where you are a musician that has the ultimate aim of becoming a rock star. You kind of go through eras of the guy's life and it also follows the progress of songs your band makes. The adventure parts are trying to survive various 'situations' like fights at partys, something about a matress and twins lol. More on the sim part, I remember that you can take drugs in the management section of the game, and it makes the screen go all weird. You can also overdose and it gives you a game over screen with 'Death, the greatest adventure!' or something like that.

I might be remembering two games and converging them into one

I hope someone can help, be very suprised if you can from that mess haha
It's probably called something really unimaginative like 'Rock Star' but I can't find it when I google, and there's a million pages about RockStar Games (Grand Theft Auto)

Oh, for a bonus cookie, anyone remember an adventure game that starts kind of like Big, with one of those fortune telling Genies with the mouth that opens when the fortune is told? I remember it being super creepy and I didn't play it much because it was so freakish.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:48 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to Ledz

I haven't found anything on this game, but I did find this which sounds like it's a similiar concept.

As for the second game, I think you might be referring to this, but not sure since I don't have much to go on.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:06 AM   #3

Yes, that's a similar game, but it's lacking the adventure sections and the drugs hehe. Maybe the adventure part i'm thinking of is another game :S It was entirely unforgiving, and started off at a bad party, and you could get killed just about every single action you took, like you could get beaten up, or fall over on a glass bottle etc. Sorry if it's a red herring.

The second game, no, that's not it, it's not got any FMV in it. I suppose it doesn't matter, I've got someone I can ask, the person who owned it back in the mid 90s
Old 06-14-2006, 10:24 AM   #4

The first one sounds like Rockstar by Wizard Games.
http://www.railentertainment.com/docs/pcgames.php

The second one sounds like it could be Bad Day on the Midway to me.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:27 AM   #5
Psychonaut

I remember Sensible Software trying to get an adventure game called "Sex Drugs and Rock n Roll " published but couldn't.

Or there was "http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/rock-star-ate-my-hamster"
Old 06-14-2006, 11:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Bennett
The first one sounds like Rockstar by Wizard Games.
http://www.railentertainment.com/docs/pcgames.php

The second one sounds like it could be Bad Day on the Midway to me.
Yes, that's the one! The adventure game bits must have been from another game. Oh well, I don't have enough info to identify that one then.

As for the second one, no that's not it. Thanks for looking though, I don't think i'll find that one either. It was a lot earlier than the game you've got in that link, kinda 256 colour era, maybe before that.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
I remember Sensible Software trying to get an adventure game called "Sex Drugs and Rock n Roll " published but couldn't.

Or there was "http://www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/rock-star-ate-my-hamster"
Hmm, no, the sim part has been nailed, but the adventure game is still a mystery. Oh well. Thanks for looking!
Old 06-14-2006, 12:15 PM   #8
"But... It's Pink."

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatchef
anyone remember an adventure game that starts kind of like Big, with one of those fortune telling Genies with the mouth that opens when the fortune is told? I remember it being super creepy and I didn't play it much because it was so freakish.
Was that "Theme Park"? (no relation to the later game of the same name). I had that on the Amiga, and it was utterly surreal. The only other thing I remember about that was there were three machines to begin with, and you could put cash into these machines to earn tokens... There was also something very odd to do with marching toy soldiers in one of the machines.

I think I've just traumatised myself all over again...
Old 06-14-2006, 12:53 PM   #9

Theme Park Mystery! Just looked at some reviews and got to see a few more screenshots. Yay, you found it for me! Thank you! It wasn't on the Amiga but I remember it had better graphics (more hi res) than the PC one and had really freakish music. It was on my parent's friends computer and I played it alone in the upstairs room quite late at night while they were downstairs talking. Spooked the bejesus out of me and I had to turn whatever machine it was, off and start it up again. I was pretty sure the machine they had at the time was an Acorn but the formats are only showing up as ST, Amiga and PC. Oh well, pretty sure it is that game anyway, i'll just have to play the abandonware PC version.
In a window.
With mp3s on.
And the lights on.
And the televison on on the news channel.

Ha ha. <_< >_>

edit:
oh no, it's only on that abandonware site that makes you pay a fee because of 'bandwidth problems' free-game-downloads.mosw. It's exactly the same site that was the only place that I could download Rockstar from too, boo.