You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Name the opening scene/music that grabs you

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2006, 08:12 AM   #21
Lazy Bee

The music in the Gallery in Uru Ages beyond Myst is the most beautiful music I've heard in a game ever.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:23 AM   #22
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

I really like the opening theme to Sam and Max Hit the Road.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:04 AM   #23

Quest for Glory 2 and 4. The second one is particularly brilliant after just finishing the first, as the music is very much the same, yet with an Arabian feel to it. Plus, how can you not love the Hero changing outfits. "Now you're a hero, Shapeir style!"

The fourth game's actually intro (Which is just a quick paragraph on the first screen), but the title screen is flawlessly done. Shadows of Darkness written in blood which drips to form a bat shape, along with the excellent music (And killer midi guitar, haha).
Old 06-11-2006, 11:01 AM   #24
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet
The funeral march at the beginning of Syberia blew me away. I watched it over and over again, even before playing the game.

For me that one was also absolutely mindblowing. The rain, the solemn movements of the automatons, the music, the colours... fantastic.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:06 PM   #25
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

Broken Sword 1 and Day of the Tentacle.
Old 06-11-2006, 01:44 PM   #26
SamNMax

Mmm Monkey Island.

Old 06-11-2006, 01:58 PM   #27
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerserkerTails
The fourth game's actually intro (Which is just a quick paragraph on the first screen), but the title screen is flawlessly done. Shadows of Darkness written in blood which drips to form a bat shape, along with the excellent music (And killer midi guitar, haha).
I agree with the music of Quest for Glory 4, I was going to mention it myself. I still whistle it to myself from time to time.

Other than that... hmm... not an Adventure game, but Final Fantasy 8 had a really neat intro.
Old 06-11-2006, 02:39 PM   #28
Green as submarine

Send a message via ICQ to Azar Send a message via Yahoo to Azar

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson_yellow
Bioforge. Cinematic and well paced. And there's Dr Mastaba with that circular saw....
Gave me nightmares when I was 12! I also loved the title song.. still hum it to this day.

The Dig does it for me. The rumble of rainclouds followed by the orchestral score.. beautiful.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:07 PM   #29

Runaway
Old 06-11-2006, 03:53 PM   #30
DaV

Blade Runner
Old 06-11-2006, 09:59 PM   #31
Master of time and space

The Dig, Monkey Island, Still Life, Gabriel Knight 3 all had great openeing scenes. Runaway's and Revelation's were also nice.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:24 PM   #32
TM3

"Indigo Prophecy" for it's obvious cinematic-ness-ness-ness. Plus the music really helped pull me in as I listened to good ol' Lucas and his crazy problems.
"The Longest Journey" had the whole surreal and mysterious thing down to a tee. It definatley set the tone for the rest of the game.
I just want you to know who I am..."
"IRIS"-GOO GOO DOLLS
Old 06-11-2006, 11:10 PM   #33
Burning

Guybrush hanging in the pit, and then Elaine shows up with 'Well well well. Guybrush Threepwood. You do turn up in the strangest places.' So started one of the most crazy adventures of all.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:41 PM   #34
Grah! Grah!

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis for its interactivity, humour and efficient set up of the characters.

The Last Express for quickly setting the tone very effectively and then jumping straight into the game without a whole lot of ****ing around.

I also love the way Quest for Glory 4 dumps you into that creepy cave immediately and makes you figure your way around this strange land without really providing any comfort zone, while remaining fair to the player from a gameplay perspective. Quest for Glory 1 established its setting very quickly too.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:11 AM   #35
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

The Longest Journey, of course.

Also, I love the intro of The Black Mirror. Starts out with the right amount of creepyness.

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis is always great (you can't really beat the Indiana Jones opening music, can you? ).

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 06-12-2006, 12:15 AM   #36
Knights Templar

Yeah definately Broken Sword : Shadow of the Templars

"Paris in the fall......"

Awesome.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:17 AM   #37
Diva of Death

Send a message via MSN to Jeysie

I should be whipped with a wet noodle for forgetting the intro music and scene of Curse of Monkey Island, and for the fun and entertaining interative intro of Fate of Atlantis...

Peace & Luv, Liz

"Maybe it's still in the Elemental Plane of Candy."
"Is the Elemental Plane of Candy anything like Willy Wonka's factory?"
"If it is, would that mean Oompa Loompas are Candy Elementals?"
"Actually, I'm thinking more like the Candyland board game. But, I like this idea better."
"I like the idea of Oompa Loompa Elementals."
Old 06-12-2006, 12:35 AM   #38
Senior *female* member

Broken Sword 1, yes. And Full Throttle, yes. I also loved the very long and funny intro to Discworld 2 and the exciting and mysterious intro to Discworld Noir.
Old 06-12-2006, 12:41 AM   #39
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeysie
I should be whipped with a wet noodle for forgetting the intro music and scene of Curse of Monkey Island, and for the fun and entertaining interative intro of Fate of Atlantis...

Peace & Luv, Liz

Sign me up for a whipping too. I forgot the "Secret of Monkey Island" intro.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 06-12-2006, 12:56 AM   #40
gaybrush threepwoody

Send a message via AIM to eriq Send a message via Yahoo to eriq

Conquests of Camelot (unbelievable music with gorgeous hand drawn illustrations surrounded by Celtic banners)

ALL the Monkey Island games (Especially 2 with the dancing monkeys and Curse because it, along with the rest of the game, looked like a real cartoon)

Day of the Tentacle (WOW. Saturday morning cartoon goodness. Can't be beat. One of my all time favourite intros.)

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (loved the playable intro with credits interspersed in the animated scenes)

Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders (strange, imaginative, and interesting. Also had very cool music)

King's Quest 4 (with the Roland MT-32 soundtrack, this introduction is a real treat. Emotional and cutting-edge for its time)

King's Quest 5 (this was such a fairytale introduction with graphics straight out of a storybook)

Space Quest (I actually liked the opening scenes for all of the games in the Space Quest series. However, because of the excellent Bob Siebenberg introduction soundtrack, part 3 was the most memorable for me. I also loved the sense of loneliness portrayed in the opener with Roger's small ship being consumed by the garbage freighter. The Roland MT-32 soundtrack during this particular scene is haunting.)