Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Pure adventures on the PS2 (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/1536-pure-adventures-ps2.html)

Beckybug31 01-04-2004 05:42 AM

I'm new here with some questions

Hi everyone. I'm new here and need some help. I have been playing PC adventure games for the last few years (Gabrielle Knight is my favorite). I have had a playstation 2 for a year now and have enjoyed playing Silent Hill 2 and 3, Fatal Frame and Clocktower 3, but I really want to find some PS2 games that are strictly adventure. I enjoy exploring and solving puzzles, and am not thrilled with killing monsters. I would love it if you could maybe tell me all of your favorites in this genre so that I can find something I really love. Thanks everyone. I really appreciate your help. Becky

CrimsonBlue 01-04-2004 05:47 AM

You do know that you can play through Silent Hill 2 as an adventure game? Just turn off all the monsters and action, and you have a perfectly good adventure-game, and with puzzles on hard it can get quite challenging.

But anyway, you should try out Broken Sword - The Sleeping Dragon. I don't know if you've played the first two, but that one is at least a pure adventure game brought into today's gaming-standards.

Syberia is also on Playstation 2. And Largo Winch is sort of an adventure-game, but it has some rpg/fighting elements in it. The last one is cheap too.

Nevertheless, you really should play all of these games on a PC if you can. Well, except maybe Largo Winch. But Broken Sword on PC have far less loading than the console versions, I've heard.

Marek 01-04-2004 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beckybug31
Gabrielle Knight is my favorite

I didn't know Gabriel had gotten a sex change!
Just kidding, welcome to the forums Beckybug ;)

charybdis 01-04-2004 07:41 AM

I think it's the hair...

Intrepid Homoludens 01-04-2004 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
You do know that you can play through Silent Hill 2 as an adventure game? Just turn off all the monsters and action, and you have a perfectly good adventure-game, and with puzzles on hard it can get quite challenging.

Good call! I devoted an entire thread to it, actually: Play Silent Hill 2 as an adventure game (yes, you can!)

Quote:

But anyway, you should try out Broken Sword - The Sleeping Dragon. I don't know if you've played the first two, but that one is at least a pure adventure game brought into today's gaming-standards.
Unfortunately, Becky, you live in the U.S., and Sony rejected Broken Sword: Sleeping Dragon to be distributed in the U.S. for PS2. So your best bet would be to rent an Xbox and play it that way, or on the PC.

Other PS2 adventure games to play are Shadow of Destiny (no action or violence whatsoever) and ICO (which has a lot of platforming and some combat but is nearly unparalleled in atmosphere, exploration, and emerging narrative).

RemiO 01-04-2004 08:41 AM

Escape from Monkey Island is available for the PS2, and you should be able to get it for about $9 or cheaper.

Oh yeah, Syberia was also not released in the US for the PS2, only PC and Xbox.

BacardiJim 01-04-2004 09:22 AM

Wasn't there a version of the classic Shadowgate released for PS2?

Tanukitsune 01-04-2004 09:48 AM

Gregory's Horror Show will be released in the US soon...

It's a bit of a survival horror, except you don't fight monsters you just run and hide from them...
There is lots of investigating/eavesdropping/spying...

Not much puzzles/item using though.... :frown:

BTW: I think Shadowgate was for N64? :confused:

charybdis 01-04-2004 09:56 AM

Shadowgate was the original NES, I believe.

BacardiJim 01-04-2004 10:07 AM

I know the original Shadowgate was for NES and I know that there was a Shadowgate 64 for the N64, but I seem to recall that there was also a PS2 version released in 1999 or 2000. But I could well be mistaken.

Beckybug31 01-04-2004 11:26 AM

Thanks everybody. I'm keeping notes here, so keep the suggestions coming.

Tanukitsune 01-04-2004 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charybdis
Shadowgate was the original NES, I believe.

I was talking about the remake...
There was also an adaptation of the NES one for the GBC...

80k 01-04-2004 01:50 PM

ICO is an adventure game for PS2

Fairygdmther 01-05-2004 04:43 PM

ICO, which I'm currently playing, is really an action-adventure game, that is gorgeous, and with a compelling story. You don't want to miss this if you have a PS2.

Draco2.5 01-05-2004 05:41 PM

POP sands of time. Has lots of action/puzzle elements.

Primal. Lots and lots of puzzles but also has alot of fighting.

LOK/Soul Reaver games also may fit into a semi-adventure game catagory.

mrkwang 01-05-2004 09:45 PM

Don't forget [Shadow of Destiny].

Distributed by Konami, but somewhat different from other games by them. It totally failed in market all over the world, so price is not high at now, but it's really worth to try.

wilco 01-06-2004 02:56 AM

Myst 3: Exile was also released is the PS2, at least it was here in Europe.