You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Most Overrated/Underrated Adventure

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #141

Overrated - Dark Fall Lost Souls, the worst adventure game I've played in years.
Underrated - Cevillle, not the most polished game, but one of the rare adventure games I've played in recent memory that was funny. The story was also very original.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:56 AM   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaroncarney View Post
I can't believe someone thinks that SIMON THE SORCERER 3D is UNDERRATED ?!?!? Are you kidding me. That Game is awful, plain and simple. I couldn't even get past the first 15 minutes because of how much it offended my eyes.
So, you admit that you haven't played the game? That's some argument

Quote:
And for everyone saying The Longest Journey is over rated... shush. I think Broken Sword is over rated. How do you like THAT!?
Everyone is up to his opinion. Personally, I was dissapointed with TLJ. The gameflow was slow, the dialogs were very long and often unrelated to the story, the puzzles felt unimaginative and very linear. After such positive feedback from the press and community I was expecting smth in the same vein as Grim Fandango or, say, Legacy of Time. But alas...
Old 05-30-2011, 11:31 AM   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arial Type View Post
So, you admit that you haven't played the game? That's some argument
No, I have played the game. At least 15 minutes of it, and from that I decided it was awful. I'd rather stab myself in the eyes than play anymore of it. I played the first 2 and enjoyed them, so obviously I meant that how the game looks is what makes it so horrendous.
Old 05-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #144

Quote:
No, I have played the game. At least 15 minutes of it, and from that I decided it was awful.
That's not a game, it's just a tutorial mission. The game starts in the 2nd chapter. There's a large 3D gameworld. Yes, well, it is ugly and all, but in a cartoonish way. At least I got used to it in an hour or so. And the whole game is much, much longer, funny and imaginative, like the previous ones.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:42 PM   #145

Aaroncarney, I too hated Simon the Sorcerer 3D when I first played it. I hated the clumsey movement and the arrow keys. About a year ago I pulled it out again, and now it is one of my favorite games! The first chapter is really boring, learning how to do things, but, in the long run you will be very happy that you played it. Please, give it another try and at least get to chapter 3.

as for my most over-rated game, the longest journey is mine. I got so sick of running back and forth.

my most under-rated game is the Lost Horizon. Gosh, I thought that game was great. well, lots of people did too, but I think it should be game of the year.
Old 05-30-2011, 03:04 PM   #146
Senior Automaton

Who does the voice for Simon 3D? If it is the guy from the first two games I would give it a go, but I don't think I could stand to hear the guy in Simon 4 again - playing through one game with him is enough for life.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:05 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Who does the voice for Simon 3D? If it is the guy from the first two games I would give it a go, but I don't think I could stand to hear the guy in Simon 4 again - playing through one game with him is enough for life.
It's Brian Bowles, the same guy from Simon 2.

Simon 3D is a terrible game, but the writing is on par with the previous games...which is far better than can be said of the fourth and fifth games.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:00 PM   #148

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar View Post
Also incredibly overrated is Tales of MI
Most definitely. Agree 100%

The Longest Journey: yes is overrated but the story I thought was well done.
I just think the execution & delivery was just wrong. It needed to be more
adventure than interactive story.

Simon the Sorcerer 3D: Well although I am against judging games that I haven't
played I think this one is an exception. After seeing screenshots and reading the overwhelming amount of negative feedback it gets I think I will give it a miss.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:09 PM   #149
Whinging Pom

Send a message via ICQ to DomStLeger Send a message via MSN to DomStLeger

Quote:
Underated: Blade Runner I don't hear much about Blade Runner and its always been a favourite of mine. For how old the game is, the graphics are brilliant. I love how its a different story to the film. I really want to play this game again on a laptop that agrees with it!
I agree with you; its an amazing game. I think its underrated because its become so hard to get hold of.

I think Syberia is massively overrated. I think its a tedious yawn fest, which was only saved by its artistic merit (and frankly thats limited!). Yes the backdrops are very pretty, but the environment is so dull and lifeless with very limited interaction. And the plot was not very engaging at all; I can barely even remember what the point of the whole trip was. I was actually glad when it was over, even though it just stopped and you were supposed to play the sequel to carry on. I never got the fuss at the time, and I still don't get its reputation today. In one word: Turgid.
Still Get Mozilla Firefox! Forget that Chrome and IE rubbish!
Old 06-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #150

Underrated:Toonstruck!
And from the current batch of releases:Gray Matter. I really liked it even though the puzzles felt pretty dumbed down.

Also, Amnesia: The Dark Descent which I thought was brilliant.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:44 PM   #151

Granted, I like almost all adventure games and am currently grinding my teeth through the frustratingly obscure puzzles of The Whispered World, a game I just love for its visuals and setting though its snail-like pacing and riddles can be quite annoying.

Gonna add Sierra's Lighthouse to the underrated bunch.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:01 PM   #152
Codger

Coming in at the very tail end of the thread. Just didn't have time to read all the comments.

Overrated: The Longest Journey
Underrated: Callahan's Crosstime Saloon
Old 06-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #153
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Overrated:

the Monkey Island series - I know this is sacrilegious to many, and the first 3 are good games, but so many people think these games are so amazing and I just don't see it.

Broken Sword 1 + 2 - I've seen this compared to the Gabriel Knight series, but it's not worthy of holding Gabe's jockstrap. The first was fun, but nothing amazing IMO, and I got bored of the 2nd one half way through. Haven't played the others.

King's Quest - Sierra's weakest series, despite being the most well known. 6 was the only one I really liked.

Siberia - *yawn* but given how often it's been mentioned in this thread I guess it's not THAT overrated

Underrated:

Mission Critical - here's a game I've never heard anyone talk about, and I played it a few years ago for the first time and really enjoyed it.

Police Quest / Quest for Glory series - my favorite Sierra games after the GK games

Death Gate - game I bought without ever having heard of it, and I was very pleasantly surprised. Great plot, great world, innovative and fun puzzles.
Old 06-04-2011, 06:49 PM   #154

i LITERALLY forgot i had an account here, tried to reregister, why does no one mention keepsake, that's one of the few games that has ever managed to pull me in
Old 06-06-2011, 06:30 AM   #155
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Much overrated: Amnesia: The Dark Descent - technically impressive, but boring and mundane wandering around in the dark with engine-generated "scary" sounds and randomly attacking monsters. Almost nothing mysterious or intriguing about the story and very basic puzzles. Very far from my idea of a good horror game. For that try for example Scratches.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #156

Ha, I posted Amnesia as underrated. Viva la difference. Maybe under-noticed would be more precise though, but since it seems to have gotten good reviews from various websites, including Adventure Gamers, this shouldn't be the case.

I'll have to check out Scratches.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:49 AM   #157
Spoonbeaks say Ahoy!

Hey, Viva la difference indeed. Won't stop me from arguing though.

Hope you'll like Scratches too - there are players who loved both of these games.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #158
Girly gamer

Overrated: Syberia (too slow for my taste), Paradise (not sure if this is actually overrated, but I recall it got pretty good reviews), Keepsake, Overclocked, Sam and Max, The lost crown.

Underrated: Dreamfall, Memento Mori, BS 4.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:37 AM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by inm8#2 View Post
Overrated - I honestly can't think of any, since adventure games tend to be overlooked anyways. But within the AG community, I haven't experienced the same excitement for Telltale as others. They make good games but seem to go more for nostalgia, and gameplay/puzzles really haven't grasped me. I've only played BTTF: Episode 1 and Tales of MI: Episode 1, so my opinion is probably not very warranted but those games didn't grab a hold of me.
I think you should play their Sam&Max episodic adventure(all seasons). It's just brilliant, creative and oozes with charm.
Old 06-13-2011, 03:07 PM   #160
Old timer - Adv. Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria-Fritsche View Post
Overrated: Syberia (too slow for my taste), Paradise (not sure if this is actually overrated, but I recall it got pretty good reviews), Keepsake, Overclocked, Sam and Max, The lost crown.

Underrated: Dreamfall, Memento Mori, BS 4.
Sorry you're worng. Try again!

Seriously. Dreamfall underated? I've heard a lot more praises then digs on it, I happen to think it's barely a game to begin with, and the story is confused and it doesn't know where it's trying to go. Zoe is a freaking retard, sorry, she must've been dropped on her head when she was a kid because she is as obtuse as AD characters come. In sum :puke:

But underated? If anything I'd say it's overated

To Me?

Underated: none
overated: all

Seriously, if we really stop and think/compare any of these games to other forms of entertaiment, even other types of games, they are really pretty bad. It's super rare, and I can't remember one game off the top of my head, whcih the solution to at least one puzzle is not copletely ludricous, the stories either fall into the garden variety made for TV movie, or completely overblown/pretentious, which in the end don't deliver the goods.
The only reason why we love them so much is because we spend so much time with them, interacting with the world, it's kinda like having an uncle which you really don't care for either way come and visit you for the summer, although you really couldn't give a crap about him, once he leaves, you'll miss him for a while, just because of the familiarity. Ya know?

Seriously, take a step back and really look at the games, they really aren't that great people.

Funny, because I followed the link somebody put in this thread to an article about "why AD suck" by the dude who developed Monkey Island, and in that he referenced another article, http://www.oldmanmurray.com/features/77.html
Very short, but very to the point, you all should take a look at it