You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Most Overrated/Underrated Adventure

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2006, 05:16 PM   #81
Rabid Tasmanian Devil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaelistus
Return to Mysterious Island
Man, I played the demo about a month ago....really wish I could still find this in stores!!
Old 09-11-2006, 12:19 AM   #82

Hi im new

Underrated Adventure : Escape From Monkey Island - Dreamfal
Old 09-11-2006, 12:52 AM   #83
Funky Member

underrated: Riven
overrated: All other adventure games
Old 09-11-2006, 02:57 AM   #84

Overrated:

- Grim Fandango: It good, but far from perfect.

Underrated:

- Gabriel Knight 3: regarded by most as the weakest entry in the series, I thought it was the best. Elaborate, intriguing story, lots of freedom, great interface, awesome puzzles (especially the LSR one), immersive game structure, etc.

- Largo Winch: Empire Under Threat: I hardly ever hear anyone mention this game. I was really surprised how much fun it was! Biggest surprise probably was that it's a full adventure game and not an action/adventure hybrid.
Old 09-11-2006, 08:27 AM   #85
Adventure Game Veteran

Overrated: Discworld 1 and 2 - people give it some credit but I just think it is a whole series of illogical puzzles and ood characters

Underrated:
Discworld Noir - just sheer class, detective and good story
The Dig - immense puzzles, not to many characters and a quite long game
Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror - a really like this but then again I think Broken sowrd is absolutley mint

p.s people who say Broken Sword 1 is overrated are wrong
Old 10-07-2006, 12:16 PM   #86

Send a message via Yahoo to Milad241

over rated:
1.Sierra games :
I tried hard to like KQ6 or even GK which are considered the best of sierra but I couldn't like them at all!maybe because i played floppy versions?
I also have played SQ and other KQ games but it didn't help.

2.Syberia:
boring!!!many say if you liked TLJ you will like Syberia too but I loved TLJ and hate this one!

under rated:
Riven
Sherlock Holmes: The Serrated Scalpel
Neverhood
still life
black mirror
Old 10-07-2006, 12:24 PM   #87
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

Now that I think about it, Riven is pretty underrated.
Old 10-07-2006, 01:01 PM   #88
Game fanatic

Quote:
i dont understand why awesome games like those two sold so few copies.
Usually there is little correlation between quality and sales. Accept this, or die frustrated.

I think Syberia was overrated at the time of release, but I don't think it's regarded as all that today, among us fans, and therefore, it may not be overrated any more.

The same may go for The Longest Journey. It's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but it's hardly lauded as such today either, so I'm fine with it.

The Myst games as a whole are also underrated by many, but that's not exactly news. To not see the brilliance in Riven is quite a feat.

As for The Pandora Directive: Yes, it's excellent. Is people really denying that?
Old 10-07-2006, 01:13 PM   #89
One for the road?

Overrated: Myst and the unholy offspring it has produced.
Overrated: The Longest Journey. My hate for this game is well documented.

Underrated: Shadow of Memories (Destiny).
Old 10-07-2006, 01:17 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpingFish View Post
Overrated: Myst and the unholy offspring it has produced.
Repent your sins, you poor misled adventure gaming sinner!
Old 10-07-2006, 08:36 PM   #91

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Overrated: Most of Sierra. They did a few real gems, but many of their games were outright bad.

Underrated: Woodruff and the Schnibble of Azimuth (ironically with a sierra label even if it was Coktel who did it)
Old 10-07-2006, 11:12 PM   #92

Morpheus among older games and Return to Mysterious Island among the more recent, both are underrated and somehow forgotten games imo.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:29 AM   #93

Send a message via ICQ to Spikey Send a message via AIM to Spikey Send a message via MSN to Spikey

I think it's kind of wrong to say "Sierra games overrated, Myst underrated" or the other way around for that matter. They're very different styles of adventure games, which appeal to different gamers. For example, even in my marriage- I love Sierra games (broadly speaking) and don't like Myst that much, whereas my wife's the opposite. Yet I can play adventure games she likes and not get too bothered, like 7th Guest (yes, she's a puzzle gamer and I'm not), and she beat LSL1VGA with me last night and liked that.

I'm guessing a lot of people who make such comments haven't played either series of the games. It'd be like me saying "LucasArts games are overrated" without ever having played one.

In terms of Sierra games, I think the King's Quest games are vastly overrated, overall the series is definitely my least favourite of the Sierra Quest series. Although, I by no means dislike the series.
I think Police Quest was way underrated, a brilliant series, and anything obscure, like Eco Quest, and Freddy Pharkas, were really overlooked, but IMHO all of them were far better than say King's Quest 1-5.

Most underrated games under the Sierra label? I'd say Dynamix's games- I'd call Rise of the Dragon, Heart of China and Willy Beamish the most underrated adventures ever, even, because they're all brilliant but noone's played them!

I'm curious- are all the people who basically said "Myst good, Sierra games overrated" LucasArts fans? Not a criticism, I'm just curious.

Regards,
- Spike
Old 10-08-2006, 04:02 AM   #94

Overated : Myst. It sold HOW many???

Underated : Bad Mojo. A joy to play, and so original.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:15 AM   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by texallos View Post
Broken Sword: Shadow of The Templars: Very high production values but no soul in this game.
You are so wrong, everything about that game was lovingly crafted romanticist brilliance!

EFMI is underrated to the point that it isn't recognised as being as good as MI3. Which it is

Monkey Island 1 and 2 are overrated just because... the graphics are teh suck. And I just can't get into it.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:39 AM   #96
now more then ever

Send a message via Yahoo to bored

Most overrated : Dreamfall
Old 10-09-2006, 04:51 AM   #97
Master of time and space

*removed*
Just realized I've already posted
Old 10-09-2006, 11:42 AM   #98

Send a message via Yahoo to Milad241

Please don't get angry but as i said in my other post i think GK1 is overrated!
it is a good game but not one of the best adventure games ever!

-well i think many would say plot was superb but i can't accept it,games like: BS1,grim fandango,TLJ,Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Serrated Scalpel and even still life or black mirror! had better plots(my opinion)
-for gameplay it was good for first days(chapters) but not in last days!
-i don't think anyone would say it had great graphics! comparing older games like MI2 which had much better art direction.
-can't say my opinions about sound because i played the floppy version.
So what great things are in this game which make it best adventure game?
Old 10-09-2006, 09:10 PM   #99

Send a message via ICQ to Spikey Send a message via AIM to Spikey Send a message via MSN to Spikey

GK1 is a masterpiece. Sierra gamers love it because instead of the 'plain vanilla' 'look, touch, etc' point-click interface it introduced 'operate', 'and so forth.

The soundtrack is incredible (shameless plug for my website), great, long General MIDI score.

The graphics are excellent, hand-rendered. Makes you feel like you're in a real place. The way the game's made, you 'believe' you could be Gabriel, doing those things.

The game is also blessed by excellent narration text, so looking at things usually yields a funny, witty response or a helpful observation. Also, there's no 'you can't look at that' messages, you can interact by looking and touching pretty much anything. Geez, try to 'operate' Grace and see what the narrator says!
(Of course, don't use the CD voice narrator.. )

Never played any of the games you say have a better plot, my wife's played most of them though. When she plays GK1 I'll ask her and post back.

GK1 also had a flawless plot and characters. Seriously, every character had some worth and was interesting. Most adventure games lose the plot and introduce filler characters which drives me nuts. GK1 never has some 'off the wall' character introduced purely for some crude laugh, or anything like that. It stays sombre although deeply enjoyable.

Anyway, I could write all day about GK1.

Never played the sequels, although I own 'em.

- Spike
Old 10-12-2006, 05:44 PM   #100
Thats the ticket

Good work on the Gabriel Knight tracks, Spikey. Gonna listen to this on my drive home today.

Any know of a similar project for Monkey Island 2?