You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-06-2006, 02:21 PM   #1
Banned User

Default Myst III: Exile

I want to know is Myst 3 an all click and point game (excluding the fighting scene at the end) ? How hard is the fighting scene ? How hard is the game ? How hard is the game with a walkthrough ? It should be very easy since it's a puzzle game, right ? And any comments of your own ?
Old 06-06-2006, 02:36 PM   #2
Not like them!

Send a message via AIM to MoriartyL

There's a fighting scene? I've played the game, and I really don't remember that. It is very easy, and yes, it's a puzzle game. Comments of my own? Sure! It stinks.
Old 06-06-2006, 02:58 PM   #3
Super Moderator

No fighting scene at all. There are multiple endings. I liked it more that Mory. Some worlds are gorgeous, some are eerie and some of them are easy to get lost in (it took me a while to get my bearings). I'm never a good judge of what a 'good' vs. 'ok' vs. 'bad' puzzle is so I probably couldn't give you good advice on that.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:02 PM   #4

Theres no fighting scene and there are some BEAUTIFUL locations Iiit's a good game if you like a game with lots of storyline and lots of characters to interact with Exile isn't that type of game but it has some story line and a few characters that are rarely seen. It's a fun game and it is mainley puzzles but that doesn't make it any easier but it's not overly hard

I'd recommend it. It's personally one of my favorite games
Old 06-06-2006, 06:26 PM   #5
Banned User

So with a walkthrough the game become VERY easy, right ? Just like any puzzle game, right ? With games like "Still Life" and "Syberia"... If you have a walkthrough.. You've won the game. The only hard part in "Still Life" was were you have to walk a robot through lasers.

I read about the fighting scene in a review. You have to fight the last master/boss, right ? Saactoria ? I forgot his name. And what do you think of the version for Xbox ?
Old 06-06-2006, 06:54 PM   #6
Super Moderator

You don't fight anyone. You have some decisions to make (in things that you do in a certain place) that will affect the ending but no fighting is involved.

The guys name is Saavedro.
Old 06-06-2006, 07:49 PM   #7
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nl4m
I want to know is Myst 3 an all click and point game (excluding the fighting scene at the end)?
Yes, it is.

Quote:
How hard is the fighting scene?
A character throwing a tantrum does not count as a "fighting scene".

Quote:
How hard is the game?
I'd say medium to medium-hard. Be sure to look for clues early on,
Spoiler:
especially for help with the puzzles in the pinball world.

Quote:
How hard is the game with a walkthrough? It should be very easy since it's a puzzle game, right?
It would be absurdly easy with a walkthrough, but if you're going to use a walkthrough you might as well not bother with playing the game.

Quote:
And any comments of your own?
The game's charm is in the number and variety of clever and subtle puzzles, and in some of the stunningly beautiful views from various locations in the game.

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-06-2006, 08:05 PM   #8

Myst III is great. I highly recommend playing it. But don't use a walkthrough unless absolutely necessary. The puzzles are the whole purpose of the game. If you don't attempt to solve them on your own, you might as well not play the game at all.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:21 AM   #9

I recently finished Myst III and loved it.
The fight scene in question isn't interactive. It's not really a fight, just one of the possible 'bad' endings (I won't give anything away).
Again, with a walkthrough it wouldn't be worth playing. The puzzles aren't too difficult, although I was a bit stumped at the one at the end and needed a hint.
Old 06-07-2006, 01:26 AM   #10
Master of time and space

Having not played Myst V I can say that it's very pretty, fairly easy and not as good as Riven and Revelation. It is however comparable with Myst in my opinion.
As others have mentioned before me, using a walkthrough just makes this game pointless. It's more story driven than Myst, but if you're in it for the story alone there are games that provide more of that. If you only want the scenery, then go ahead with it. It's a pretty pretty game.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:41 AM   #11

Great game, but not as great as Myst/RealMyst and Riven (haven't played IV or V yet).

As for playing it with a walkthrough I agree with most people here that it's a bad idea, but having said that I must confess that I actually used one (or rather a UHS-hint) with this game on one occasion (some paths, ladders etc. are very difficult to spot!). But puzzlewise this game is easier than the first two games in the series.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:43 AM   #12
Banned User

Wow you guys... THANKS SOOO MUCH !!! Thank you for everything !!! This is exactly what I wanted to know !!! I'm going to get the game !!! THANKS AGAIN !!!
Old 06-07-2006, 09:00 AM   #13
Adventure Game Researcher

It was made by an outside company on contract with Cyan, so it is a bit different from Myst, Riven, URU and Myst V which were all by Cyan, Exile and
Revelation, Myst IV were made by outside contracted companies under Cyan's direction and leadership. Exile has some very beautiful scenes, and nice challenges, the puzzles are part of the overall immersive experience, they replicate life challenges in the shortened time frame of a game and allow the player to become involved in the progress of the unfolding of the story, Exile has some unique charms, and the last Age is very beautiful and
haunting, and a favorite among many Myst community members. I agree re other posts here re walkthrough, take the time and enjoy the journey.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 06-07-2006, 09:56 AM   #14
Bad Influence

Send a message via Yahoo to Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian IV
Exile has some unique charms, and the last Age is very beautiful and haunting, and a favorite among many Myst community members.
Are you referring to
Spoiler:
the floating age at the end of the game? I thought it was cool, but I really wished there was more of it to explore. I liked all the ages in Exile, but I particularly enjoyed the Tree Age and the Pinball Age (it's been a long time since I played the game and I can't remember the official names of the ages).

Share the love.

<3
Old 06-07-2006, 10:05 AM   #15
Ronin

Myst III got me back into adventure games after a 5 year hiatus. It is a superb game, one of my all time favourites. If you're into solving novel puzzles through exploration and experimentation, it will not disappoint you.
Old 06-07-2006, 10:18 AM   #16
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrift Store Scott
Spoiler:
I liked all the ages in Exile, but I particularly enjoyed the Tree Age and the Pinball Age (it's been a long time since I played the game and I can't remember the official names of the ages).
That would be Edanna and Amateria, respectively, I think. I agree with your choice, especially Amateria/Pinball Age was an incredible experience. Just remembering it now makes me feel warm inside.
Old 06-07-2006, 11:26 AM   #17
Not like them!

The ending of Amateria was really cool. The rest of the Age was almost unplayable. All the hotspots are placed so close together it's impossible to navigate. The world design is repetitive, without any really good landmarks. And the entire thing feels entirely contrived- I couldn't buy into any of it.

As for Edanna, while having the same navigation problem to a lesser degree, it also suffers from puzzles that can only be solved through tedious trial and error and its world design has all the sophistication of a big maze.

No, the only half-decent Age is the one with all the mechanical stuff. I say that because unlike the other two, it doesn't do anything horribly wrong. Unfortunately, it also doesn't do anything interesting, so it's pretty boring.

Then there's the problem of cohesiveness, or rather the lack thereof. Exile is the sum of its parts and no more, because the Ages don't fit together stylistically.

Last edited by MoriartyL; 06-07-2006 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoriartyL
And the entire thing feels entirely contrived- I couldn't buy into any of it.
Though by no means defending its shortcomings, I think Exile was able to get away with this under the guise of "Lesson Ages", and hence by definition lacked the rich lived-in feel of other Ages (Riven I guess is the best example). The Ages felt like they had no history because very little had actually happened there.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:21 PM   #19
Not like them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bresto
Though by no means defending its shortcomings, I think Exile was able to get away with this under the guise of "Lesson Ages", and hence by definition lacked the rich lived-in feel of other Ages (Riven I guess is the best example). The Ages felt like they had no history because very little had actually happened there.
It's hard for me to argue with this on the grounds of story because I've never understood whether Atrus actually created the worlds by writing the books, or only linked to already existing ones. The games tend to imply that it's something in between the two, and I think they deliberately leave it at that to keep it mysterious. What I can say is that Atrus has written linking books to many other worlds, some with very specific purposes (like Revelation's prison Ages), and none felt as artificial as Myst III's.
Old 06-07-2006, 03:36 PM   #20
Not like them!

Come to think of it, it's pretty funny to stick in in-game reasons for doing your job poorly. Next time I compose a piece of music, maybe I'll put no effort in and title it "Incompetence". Brilliant! I think if Presto had really been smart, they would have said that these are not only training Ages, but they were linked to by Atrus when he was younger and inexperienced, and he was under a deadline to finish them, and he had a cold, and he only finished the first draft of the books and intended to complete them but never got around to it. And then they could add in a little plot point about the villain deciding to mess it up a little more for his own enjoyment. I think that just about covers all the lazy design they put in there.