You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure "Easy" adventure game suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2006, 02:11 PM   #1

Default "Easy" adventure game suggestions

Hey guys. I've been playing AGs on and off for most of my life and I have noticed something. I really am not very good at these games anymore. When I was a little kid I could get through these game no problem. Now that I have started playing these games again at the age of 20, I can't seem to figure these games out at all anymore (the classic ones). Durring the past month I have retried DOTT, MI2, KQ6, SQ5, SQ6, LSL 7, quest for Glory III, etc. Like I said I used to be able to plow right through these with little effort. Now I can't figure the puzzles out in these games at all. So basically what I am looking for are some suggestions for classic (VGA era) and EASY adventure games to get me back into the groove. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
Old 06-02-2006, 03:27 PM   #2
SamNMax

Beneath a Steel Sky is probably the best pick.

Old 06-02-2006, 03:39 PM   #3

Have you tried looking up the walkthroughs for the games you mentioned.
We were all a little bit smarter when we were younger.

Cathy
Old 06-02-2006, 06:08 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy1
Have you tried looking up the walkthroughs for the games you mentioned.
We were all a little bit smarter when we were younger.

Cathy
Yeah but I am trying to get through them without having to use a walkthough. Any other game ideas guys?
Old 06-02-2006, 07:04 PM   #5
I'm complicated

Send a message via MSN to smashing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetteman85
Hey guys. I've been playing AGs on and off for most of my life and I have noticed something. I really am not very good at these games anymore. When I was a little kid I could get through these game no problem. Now that I have started playing these games again at the age of 20, I can't seem to figure these games out at all anymore (the classic ones). Durring the past month I have retried DOTT, MI2, KQ6, SQ5, SQ6, LSL 7, quest for Glory III, etc. Like I said I used to be able to plow right through these with little effort. Now I can't figure the puzzles out in these games at all. So basically what I am looking for are some suggestions for classic (VGA era) and EASY adventure games to get me back into the groove. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks
I really don't see the logic of a 20 year old not complaining about stuff he ought to do before. The possibility is there of course, but I just don't buy that logic.

Anyway, what makes you think that classic (VGA era) games are EASY? There are a lot of classic games that ain't easy and very very irritating by not being helpful in any means. On top of that, the wonderful VGA technology with the latest 2-channel Adlib, will probably put an average young adult to sleep.

Why not go for the more recent ones? There are some titles that are not that difficult and have voice-acting and graphics to keep your interest high. For instance, Syberia is not that difficult and ditto Still Life. Also, there's Keepsake that have an integrated system of dropping hints when you're stuck... though I heard that it'll get pretty tough as the game progress (even with hints). Hmm... I think I definitely need to get a copy of Keepsake myself!
Old 06-02-2006, 07:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashing
I really don't see the logic of a 20 year old not complaining about stuff he ought to do before. The possibility is there of course, but I just don't buy that logic.

Anyway, what makes you think that classic (VGA era) games are EASY? There are a lot of classic games that ain't easy and very very irritating by not being helpful in any means. On top of that, the wonderful VGA technology with the latest 2-channel Adlib, will probably put an average young adult to sleep.

Why not go for the more recent ones? There are some titles that are not that difficult and have voice-acting and graphics to keep your interest high. For instance, Syberia is not that difficult and ditto Still Life. Also, there's Keepsake that have an integrated system of dropping hints when you're stuck... though I heard that it'll get pretty tough as the game progress (even with hints). Hmm... I think I definitely need to get a copy of Keepsake myself!
First off I have no clue what you are trying to say in your first paragraph. Second, when did I ever say that the VGA era games are easy? I said that I was looking for some easy ones from that era because I like the graphics style. Let me put it this way. Can you suggest any easier CARTOON style AGs?
Old 06-02-2006, 07:40 PM   #7
Roman5

Forget keepsake. I'm playing it and while I really like it, it's quite hard and mostly a series of logic puzzles. Basically, he'll probably get completely stuck most of time, or he'll resort to the hints a lot which will make the game a waste of time anyway.
I can't really think of an easier game than say perhaps 'runaway' or as you suggested 'syberia'. There aren't really any adventure games much easier I don't think. You always have to try and 'think outside of the box' with these games, it's the nature of adventures. I would say runaway because it's cartoony, light hearted and classic point and click. That would probably get you back in the groove.

Old 06-02-2006, 07:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman5
Forget keepsake. I'm playing it and while I really like it, it's quite hard and mostly a series of logic puzzles. Basically, he'll probably get completely stuck most of time, or he'll resort to the hints a lot which will make the game a waste of time anyway.
I can't really think of an easier game than say perhaps 'runaway' or as you suggested 'syberia'. There aren't really any adventure games much easier I don't think. You always have to try and 'think outside of the box' with these games, it's the nature of adventures. I would say runaway because it's cartoony, light hearted and classic point and click. That would probably get you back in the groove.
I already played and beat Runaway and Syberia. Those were a litle more my style I guess.
Old 06-02-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
Super Moderator

Quote:
Using the hints didn't make it a waste of time for me. In fact it made it a bit more enjoyable because I didn't stop playing the game due to being horribly stuck.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:03 PM   #10
Roman5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
Using the hints didn't make it a waste of time for me. In fact it made it a bit more enjoyable because I didn't stop playing the game due to being horribly stuck.
I just think that overall, it's not what I would call an easy game. It's very non linear and it's also a huge game with lots of area to cover. Can get quite confusing. It's enough to put someone off if they're looking for something easy to get into. The hints should be used sparingly and beyond that, it's defeating the object. I'm guessing what vetteman really wants is something which is easy enough to figure out solutions to himself rather than just getting stuck and resorting to hints or walkthroughs.

Old 06-02-2006, 08:07 PM   #11
Roman5

If you haven't played them you could try 'the dig', 'full throttle', and all the monkey island games. Full throttle is definitely a blast with lots of comedy. Try crime stories. While it has lots of bugs, it's pretty damn easy.

Old 06-02-2006, 08:09 PM   #12

Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit, in the adventure gaming aspect is simple. I found the arcade-y, mini game sequences to be difficult, because I'm not a reflex gamer and my fingers got tired quite easily. If you think you could handle that, you probably wouldn't find it too hard.

Sorry the sugestion isn't in the category you requested!
Old 06-02-2006, 08:16 PM   #13

Quote:
If you haven't played them you could try 'the dig', 'full throttle', and all the monkey island games. Full throttle is definitely a blast with lots of comedy. Try crime stories. While it has lots of bugs, it's pretty damn easy.
I have actually beaten the MIs (I love those games). I would love to play Full Throttle again but I can't find it anywhere.
Old 06-02-2006, 08:38 PM   #14
I'm complicated

Send a message via MSN to smashing

Quote:
Can you suggest any easier CARTOON style AGs?
Hmm... have you played Legend of Kyrandia I, II & III? I think the SCUMMVM project have just enabled the running of Legend of Kyrandia I at around 80% or so. Anyway, the characters in all three games are zany and the jokes/satire are entertaining. While the logic of the puzzles could be somewhat twisting and requires one to think out of the box (or read very carefully) at times, it's mostly a simple game. Simpler than DOTT or S&M at least...

You may wanna try Discworld I, II and III as well. The series is mostly quite simple, and a lot of puzzle is simply based on combining items and using them on people or object.

I'd yet to try Ankh, but according to the trailers and stuff I'd read, the game is supposed to be very cartoony and very humourous. It didn't score too well on review though, but reviews (good or bad) should never deter a person from enjoying the game.
Old 06-02-2006, 09:22 PM   #15
Roman5

Quote:
I have actually beaten the MIs (I love those games). I would love to play Full Throttle again but I can't find it anywhere.
You might be in luck then. And try 'The Dig' if you haven't already.

http://forums.adventuregamers.com/sh...ad.php?t=15186

Old 06-02-2006, 10:30 PM   #16
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashing
You may wanna try Discworld I, II and III as well. The series is mostly quite simple, and a lot of puzzle is simply based on combining items and using them on people or object.
Discworld quite simple?!?

You must be a genius! Great enjoyable games, but I swear I have never heard anyone call the Discworld series simple, especially Discworld 1 of course. It's true that the sequel is a little bit easier or should I say less hard. The third one is a different kettle of fish.

Vetteman, try UFO's aka Gnap. Short and easy. Two or three doable arcade sequences. Nice cartoony graphics. Rather obscure. You can buy it on German ebay for a few dollars.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:32 PM   #17

It's a bit difficult to say what is necessarily an easy game, as what comes easily to one person may be difficult to another. For instance, I found the card maze in Obsidian to be a breeze, but many other people found it to be frustrasting. Conversely, I know I've been stuck on many other puzzles that many people found to be quite easy.

Offhand, the easiest games that I can think of, aside from games aimed towards children, like the Freddi Fish series, are Loom and Duckman.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:54 PM   #18
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Bennett
It's a bit difficult to say what is necessarily an easy game, as what comes easily to one person may be difficult to another. For instance, I found the card maze in Obsidian to be a breeze, but many other people found it to be frustrasting.
I wouldn't call it a maze, but that puzzle is one of my favorites because the vidbots go out of their way to entertain you.
Spoiler:
No, it's not hard at all, there's the overview from the nexus and you can see the needed cards in the floor of the different cubicles. And one of the vidbots - the one with the lovely pics of her family - literally tells you where you can get more black cards.

Quote:
Offhand, the easiest games that I can think of, aside from games aimed towards children, like the Freddi Fish series, are Loom and Duckman.
Seconded. Loom and Duckman are good games too.
Old 06-03-2006, 12:32 AM   #19
Knights Templar

Simon the Sorcerer and Toonstruck at least start off simple, i'd give them a whirl if I were you.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:54 AM   #20

Why not try Zork Grand Iquisitor. It's the easiest of the trilogy and very funny to.