Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Adventure Game Scene of The Day - Tuesday 30 May 2006 (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/15185-adventure-game-scene-day-tuesday-30-may-2006-a.html)

Ledz 05-29-2006 12:29 PM

Adventure Game Scene of The Day - Tuesday 30 May 2006

http://www.worldofmi.com/images/cate...5/screen06.jpg

Seems like nobody's put one up the last few days so I figured I might as well throw one in, always wanted to, and this game came to mind. A fairly hit and miss affair, it's humor was much less intelligent than previous games, though it had it's moments, and I liked the plot twist towards the end there with...

Spoiler:
Herman turning out to be Marley

The first time I saw that cutscene I was like WTFOMG and all that. But most frustratingly, this game has the worst part of all MI's and Lucasarts adventures in general, the frustrating, inappropriate and bloody annoying Monkey Kombat!

Edit: just noticed the one. umm... we'll call this tomorrow's one then...? it's almost tomorrow in my timezone anyway..

SamNMax 05-29-2006 12:32 PM

Two in one day. Must be my birthday.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head with that (but I hated the plot twist).

RLacey 05-29-2006 01:24 PM

You know, I really don't get the big problem that most people have with Monkey Kombat. It's like a (bad) version of insult swordfighting, but it's really not that frustrating.

Kurufinwe 05-29-2006 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RLacey
You know, I really don't get the big problem that most people have with Monkey Kombat. It's like a (bad) version of insult swordfighting, but it's really not that frustrating.

Except that insult swordfighting didn't require you to take notes. And 'How appropriate, you fight like a cow' tends to be funnier, and therefore less tedious to listen to, than 'Ack Eek Oop Chi'.

RLacey 05-29-2006 01:32 PM

Yeah, OK, that's true.

But compared to the mazes in, like, every Sierra game ever, the insult swordfighting note-taking was a piece of cake ;).

Kurufinwe 05-29-2006 01:57 PM

:shifty:

Huz 05-29-2006 06:32 PM

God I hated Monkey Kombat. It upset me so much.

I should replay Monkey Island 4 just to remind me why.

Toefur 05-29-2006 06:38 PM

Monkey Kombat was one of the better features of MI4.

Cold-Factor 05-29-2006 07:21 PM

Monkey Kombat....the main reason why I never beat Escape from Monkey Island.:shifty:

Burge 05-30-2006 01:56 AM

I used my wits and logic to beat MK.

(with help of a walkthrough)

Eye-Z 05-30-2006 03:54 AM

i done the last battle scene by accident with chuck

Spoiler:
what kinda gay crazy shit do you have to draw 3 times in a row to win

Huz 05-30-2006 06:32 AM

In response to Eye-Z's spoiler...

...you should have paid more attention to the seemingly inconsequential animation on the monkeys when you drew with them.

It still doesn't make any bloody sense that LeChuck just so happens to do exactly the same flippin' thing, though...

Captain Blondebeard 05-30-2006 03:19 PM

The rock puzzle was worse.

LiquidWizard 05-30-2006 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Blondebeard
The rock puzzle was worse.

Definitely. And as far as I remember the problem with MK was that it reset and changed the insults everytime you left this area. Well, I didn't have that problem because I beat it all in one go. For about 20 minutes. And I can't see what the big deal was.

Ledz 05-30-2006 11:02 PM

I actually kinda liked the rock puzzle, it was fairly simple and I got this feeling of satisfaction upon succeeding.. it had a point. MK really didn't.. it was 20 minutes of listening to those bloody OOP ACK CHEE noises, and having to fail on purpose several times in order to learn the right moves... it was repetitive and boring. But I guess my biggest problem with it, is that it's a really really bad joke,
the worst form of low humor, and just unbefitting the level of humor in the entire series.

Kurufinwe 05-30-2006 11:13 PM

I know I'm going to sound daft, but what was that 'rock puzzle'? I can't remember anything like that.

Eye-Z 05-31-2006 12:06 AM

In response to kurufinwe

Spoiler:
there were three holes which you had to throw boulders in, you had to wait till it hit a twig to drop the next one in and so on to complete the sequence and open up another part of the island

really was easy, there weren't really any hard puzzles in this version apart from the prosthetic shop where you had to get the 3 reels right, there was no firm logic to that crap at all!

Kurufinwe 05-31-2006 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eye-Z
In response to kurufinwe

Spoiler:
there were three holes which you had to throw boulders in, you had to wait till it hit a twig to drop the next one in and so on to complete the sequence and open up another part of the island

Oh, I liked that one. It made sense, was rather easy (when you had understood when the game told you to do something, as you said in your spoiler), and was over in a matter of minutes. Nothing in common with MK.

GoT 05-31-2006 04:28 AM

well i kinda thought MK was cool, i've even got a sweet windows background that i got off the net. It's a take off of the young anakin poster from episode 1 where you see Darth vaders shadow coming off him, except this one is guybrush with a monkey shadow, with the monkey shadow being similar in appearance to the well animated monkeys from MI4. anyway, i love all MI's, bring em on....

GoT

Eye-Z 06-01-2006 08:21 AM

it wasnt that bad i guess