You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Adventure Game Scene of The Day - Tuesday 30 May 2006

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2006, 12:09 AM   #21
Master of time and space

What's so bad about monkey kombat? It's essentially the same as insult fighting in the first game and rhyme battling in the third game, isn't it?
Old 06-02-2006, 01:33 AM   #22

Send a message via MSN to Ledz

except that those examples involved actual dialogue, most of which was witty and funny, whereas MK solves the need for thinking about any good dialogue by using monkeyspeak.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:07 PM   #23
Freeware Co-ordinator

MI4 is on my started but not completed list. Teh reason, Monkey Kombat. I don't mind note-taking, it's almost a must for adventuring. But MK is tedious repetitive note-taking. That the whole system resets each time you leave the area is the final insult. If you don't have the patience to learn all the different moves you can't even consult a walkthrough to skip past this section (as you can do in almost all other adventure games when you hit a part that you just don't click with)

I didn't have a problem with the prosthetic shop puzzle (there were clues around for this puzzle) or the rocks (which I found an interesting application of my favourite pastime, mental thumb-twiddling. Trying different things to see what sort of results you get.)
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 06-03-2006, 06:43 PM   #24
Schattenjaeger wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan
I don't mind note-taking, it's almost a must for adventuring.
It is? I almost never take notes while playing adventure games. The only exceptions I can think of are in Infocom games, where you have to remember everyone's names and such.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:48 AM   #25
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1123
It is? I almost never take notes while playing adventure games.
I take notes of almost everything in my game play. For instance you wouldn't be able to solve much in a game like Sentinel without taking notes or drawing maps. Not that we're discussing games like Sentinel here. I just wanted to add a reply about note-taking.
Old 06-04-2006, 06:37 AM   #26
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Whether you need to take notes or not is very dependent on the style of adventure you're playing. With LucasArts adventures, there is very rarely a need to take notes. Whenever you discover something important - whether your player character stumbles across it or you're told by another character - the game will always find a way to remind you later. Often this takes the form of simply being able to ask people about things again and again, but sometimes your character will make a little aside to himself when he 'knows' something relevant that you might have forgotten. Things like Monkey Kombat where note-taking isn't automated are definitely the exception for LucasArts.