You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2006, 10:35 AM   #1

Default TellTale survey

Make sure you express your interest in Telltale doing what it takes to buy the rights to other old LA favoorites like Monkey Island. There is a section where you can enter comments. Fire away.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:53 AM   #2
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

People seem to think TellTale is made of money.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:56 AM   #3
Super Moderator

They might be pretty soon, who knows? They are certainly on an upward swing in the development of their company and they really do a fantastic job of listening to their customers.
Old 05-20-2006, 11:16 AM   #4
Irritant F0rum Beasty

I just noticed the latest news update, 8.6 at IGN + Editors Choice Award for The Great Cow Race. That's quite an turn around considering what they said about Out From Boneville.

Bone 1 IGN review

Bone 2 IGN review

It really was a huge improvement, and shows just how big an impact user feedback has.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 05-20-2006, 12:07 PM   #5

Also, the reviewer of Out from Boneville was different.
Old 05-20-2006, 12:14 PM   #6
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
Also, the reviewer of Out from Boneville was different.
But its not the reviewers who give the award is it? Isnt it the Editor?
Old 05-20-2006, 12:57 PM   #7

I don't know, but I was talking about the scores.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:00 PM   #8

you know very well that MI will always remain in LA hands... that's the this business works - no company will sell their rights for a game to another company. they will prefer to keep their card close to their chest.

that life - fellas , dont expect to seeanother MI made by anyone but LA, and dont expect to see another MI game at least in the next 3 years.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:06 PM   #9

I love how we're supposed to comment to Telltale that we want to see those licenses revived. Because I'm sure they're completely oblivious to that, and informing them will make a big difference in making it a reality.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:13 PM   #10
fov
Rattenmonster

Huh? What? People want another Monkey Island game? I had no idea.

fov

Of course it doesn't hurt to say you'd want another Monkey Island game (or Full Throttle, or Grim Fandango, or whatever), but if there are other non-game licenses you'd be interested in playing as an adventure game, those would be nice to hear about, too. Old LucasArts games are kind of a no-brainer, but there are a lot of licenses that would make good games that aren't on Telltale's radar yet.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:23 PM   #11
kamikaze hummingbirds

i dont think its been posted here, but telltale have acquirred the rights to yet ANOTHER secret project.
so maybe MI, but personally im hoping Maniac Mansion 3.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:24 PM   #12

Quote:
I love how we're supposed to comment to Telltale that we want to see those licenses revived. Because I'm sure they're completely oblivious to that, and informing them will make a big difference in making it a reality.
I'm sure the uproar about LA canceling Sam and MAx had nothing to do with Telltale going out of their way to get the license.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blondebeard
I'm sure the uproar about LA canceling Sam and MAx had nothing to do with Telltale going out of their way to get the license.
I'm sure that they were otherwise completely uninterested in the license! Having worked two years on a Sam & Max game they well recognized the quality of the characters (Connors worked on Hit the Road for crying out loud!), and knew that the rights belonged to Purcell, not LucasArts. Also, and not to diminish the impact the huge fan response had, it was said in an interview that Connors and Bruner were going to start the company regardless.

Look, I'm just saying that it's kind of silly to try to lead some heroic mission to make Telltale aware that, "Hey, there are some pretty cool and well-loved adventure licenses sitting around that company you used to work at," when it's pretty obvious that they know as much, probably better than anyone else. Repeatedly reminding them of that does nothing to make the licenses somehow easier for them to obtain. It's not like they're sitting around saying, "Well, we have the means to acquire the Monkey Island license and make some more games, but not until we hear from five more fans expressing interest!"

As for speculation on the new game, I'm sure this new license they've got is popular whether it belongs to a book/show/movie/game. Connors did mention his interest in doing Stephen King novels in that radio interview, maybe that's a possibility?
Old 05-20-2006, 01:55 PM   #14

Quote:

Look, I'm just saying that it's kind of silly to try to lead some heroic mission to make Telltale aware that, "Hey, there are some pretty cool and well-loved adventure licenses sitting around that company you used to work at," when it's pretty obvious that they know as much, probably better than anyone else. Repeatedly reminding them of that does nothing to make the licenses somehow easier for them to obtain. It's not like they're sitting around saying, "Well, we have the means to acquire the Monkey Island license and make some more games, but not until we hear from five more fans expressing interest!"

?
It worked for the Kings Quest fan game.
Old 05-20-2006, 01:55 PM   #15
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Remember that Telltale was only founded after the cancellation, by many of the former Freelance Police. So yes, I think the public uproar was of secondary importance, compared to their own emotional attachment to the franchise.

Also note they didn't get the Sam and Max rights from LucasArts.

EDIT: Great, a redundant post. (I didn't see Udvarnoky's response). Let me answer your next point, then:

Quote:
People weren't sending petitions to Phoenix back then (what would be the point of that?), though, but to Vivendi. So this doesn't really work as a fitting analogy.
Old 05-20-2006, 02:02 PM   #16

Quote:
You're being sarcastic, right? You're comparing it to a fan game being allowed to continue production on the condition that it not officially use the license?!?

EDIT: Whoops, guess it was my turn to be redundant.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:53 PM   #17

Quote:
You're being sarcastic, right? You're comparing it to a fan game being allowed to continue production on the condition that it not officially use the license?!?

EDIT: Whoops, guess it was my turn to be redundant.
I'm just grasping straws to stay above water.
Old 05-21-2006, 04:58 PM   #18
Bad command or file name

I would much rather them create a whole new franchise rather than just seeing some tired old movie/TV/book tie-in. Anyways, I don't watch movies or TV and I very seldom read so none of those franchise appeal to me much anyways. They have some of the most creative people in the industry on their payroll; put them to use. I say, give us something new.

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 05-21-2006, 06:21 PM   #19

I'm sure they will soon enough - but of course using existing franchises cuts the marketing spend immensely as you're just trying to sell the game, not the entire premise. And you already have an existing fanbase to tap.

But yes, I'm also very much looking forward to Telltale's first foray into original IP (that doesn't involve a card-game)
Old 05-24-2006, 05:14 PM   #20

Yeah after sam and max..I think they should do somethin original..be a little creative..