Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   G.F two or three discs? (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/15008-g-f-two-three-discs.html)

Jelena 05-19-2006 02:21 AM

G.F two or three discs?

I stopped by at the EB games store today and (to my surprise) found Grim Fandango for almost nothing. It was a 3 disc box but it contained only two discs and the guy in the store didn´t know how many there were supposed to be. I would guess three:crazy: but he said that sometimes distributers uses the kind of box they have the most of in stock.
Anyone who knows how many there are supposed to be?

Dale Baldwin 05-19-2006 02:25 AM

The two versions of the game I have both contain two discs.

AFGNCAAP 05-19-2006 02:54 AM

Mine has two, and that guy told you the truth about the distributors. I have several such "incomplete" games in my collection. Most recently, Polish release of Moment of Silence was sold in a two-disc box, despite it coming on one DVD.

It's confusing, but at least better than putting more discs than the box can hold. (Yes, I've seen things like this, too. :frown: )

Jelena 05-19-2006 02:58 AM

Thanks for the info. Hopefully it´s still there next time I go there. Will G.F work on XP?

RLacey 05-19-2006 03:03 AM

It definitely has two discs; if you have one of the DVD case releases with the purple border and whatnot then it's a three disc case because Activision decided to use them for all the multiple-CD LucasArts games...

Kurufinwe 05-19-2006 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LenaJ
Will G.F work on XP?

I've never had any problem with it. Use the patch, though.

(And that was a fourth staff member rushing in to answer your questions! If that's not customer service, I don't know what is.)

(Or maybe we're all just bored...) :D

Jelena 05-19-2006 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurufinwe
(And that was a fourth staff member rushing in to answer your questions! If that's not customer service, I don't know what is.)

It proves that you´re the best!:)

insane_cobra 05-19-2006 03:13 AM

Quote:

Will G.F work on XP?

Worked for me.

Gordon Bennett 05-19-2006 07:37 AM

That does happen sometimes. The worst example is Amber: Journeys Beyond. As I have heard, it was originally intended to be a two disc game, but ended up fitting on just one.

Consequently, the one and only disc that contains the game is clearly labelled "Disc A" in large letters.

RLacey 05-19-2006 07:55 AM

It always annoys me when CDs have "Disc 1" or "Disc 2" written on them. Would it really require much more for them to put "Disc 1 of 2" or "Disc 2 of 2" like they used to do back in the days of disks?

Dale Baldwin 05-19-2006 07:57 AM

My two Loom disks say Disk 1/2 and Disk 3. That confused me somewhat when i first bought it.

Iguana 05-19-2006 08:09 AM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. Hopefully it´s still there next time I go there. Will G.F work on XP?

I got mine to work on XP, although I originally had a problem with getting it to install, what worked for me was installing it with windows in Safe Mode, restarting, downloading the patch and now it works fine.

Tobbe 05-19-2006 10:39 AM

I had no problem runnig Grim Fandango on XP, but I´ve heared some have had problems..

SoccerDude28 05-19-2006 11:56 AM

Quote:

It works but you need to turn hyperthreading off if your CPU has hyperthreading. You can do that through the BIOS when you first start your PC (by hitting DEL on most computers).

Captain Blondebeard 05-19-2006 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin
My two Loom disks say Disk 1/2 and Disk 3. That confused me somewhat when i first bought it.

Did you pose this question at the Lucas Arts Museum?

Brandon 05-20-2006 02:34 PM

What really annoyed me was when I bought 2-disc Gladiator DVD (this was years ago now) and one disc was in the one-disc DVD case and the second disc was just in a sleeve. When I know for a fact that it was first released in a two-disc DVD case, so after a while on a subsequent printing they cheaped out. By the way, anyone know a really good online retailer for DVD/CD cases of all different varities, one that you've actually shopped from and had a good experience with?