You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 01:37 AM   #1

Default The Da Vinci Code

Am I the only one who's exited about this game?

I just read a preview at IGN, and i think it was very positiv.Soundet to me likethere are "tons" of puzzles and that the action could be something like the action in Fahrenheit(and that was fun i think).

One week to go here in Europe.....
Old 05-12-2006, 02:02 AM   #2
I create. Therefore I am.

Send a message via MSN to jannar85

I'm excited about the game based on the movie and book.

Click the name, to join its Facebook Page!

My Games
Old 05-12-2006, 07:47 AM   #3
Dungeon Master

Both IGN and Gamespot previews make it sound like a) pretty much an adventure game, b) susprisingly good for a movie (and book) tie-in. After reading them my interest in this game made a sudden shift from "meh..." to "hm...?". I don't predict it to be better than Secrets of Da Vinci, but I can't wait for the reviews. And I hope the AG team gets a chance to investigate it at E3.

Gamershell hosts a rather nice trailer, by the way.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:43 AM   #4

Send a message via ICQ to Nautilus
Default The Da Vinci Code

The Da Vinci Code game is not "enough" of an adventure game to be reviewed by AdventureGamers.com or JustAdventure.com?!

The Da Vinci Code
http://www.thedavincicodegame.com/
Old 05-12-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
Super Moderator

We don't know enough about it to say either way right now.
Charles Cecil gave us the impression that it wasn't though, but I must admit the previews appearing online hint otherwise.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:03 AM   #6

Send a message via ICQ to Nautilus

Game trailer of E3 2006:
dvc_90sec_trailer.wmv

It's definitely an adventure game.

Last edited by Nautilus; 05-12-2006 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:12 AM   #7
Super Moderator

Hopefully the AG guys at E3 will have taken a look at actual in-game stuff
Old 05-12-2006, 11:20 AM   #8
merely human

From what I've read in the previews, the fighting system seems too complicated for the 'conservative point-&-clickers'. It's slightly similar to Indigo Prophecy's 'Simon Says' minigame thingy.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-12-2006, 11:25 AM   #9
Super Moderator

... which isn't a reason for AG not to cover it.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:28 AM   #10
merely human

I know. They covered Dreamfall and IP, didn't they? Still, it's a pity they didn't cover Silent Hill 2 on easy combat and hard puzzle difficulty.

platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-12-2006, 11:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautilus
The Da Vinci Code game is not "enough" of an adventure game to be reviewed by AdventureGamers.com or JustAdventure.com?!

The Da Vinci Code
http://www.thedavincicodegame.com/
Did anyone manage to solve that site? I only got as far as the 5th letter (the downloads section). I feel stupid, because the previous ones were all pretty easy.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:23 PM   #12

Didn't even solve the 3. one, What's the answer there?
Old 05-12-2006, 02:24 PM   #13

Hint1:
Spoiler:
If you drag your mouse starting from one of the white circles you can draw lines
Hint2:
Spoiler:
Pay close attention to the background image
Solution:
Spoiler:
You have to draw over the pentagram in the background. Connect in this order: Temple Church - Chateau Vilette - The Louvre Museum - Saint Sulpice - Depositary Bank of Zurich - Temple Church

If someone figures out how you can progress beyond step 5, please let me know. I've noticed that "cheating" only gets you up to step 5 as well.
Spoiler:
Typing "DAVINCI" or "LEONARDO" in the keyword box. ("Leonardo makes it easy")
Old 05-12-2006, 03:05 PM   #14

I've only gotten as far as step 5 as well - altho' I do know what the letters in the bottom box mean... at least the first 5.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:31 PM   #15
Super Moderator

That divine font is.... odd.
Old 05-13-2006, 07:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by toger
I've only gotten as far as step 5 as well - altho' I do know what the letters in the bottom box mean... at least the first 5.
What do they mean then?
EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out.

Spoiler:
It spells CRACK in the divine font. At least now we know what the font is for. So now we need another 11 letter word. There can't be too many of that length having to do with codes and puzzles.

Last edited by EvilMulder; 05-14-2006 at 02:24 PM.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:26 PM   #17

Could this post not be moved back to the Adventures section? Because it certainly is. From the review on IGN:

Quote:
Charles Cecil, the designer behind the puzzles in the Broken Sword series, consulted on the puzzles in The Da Vinci Code, which means they'll be clever, intuitive, and fun to solve. To assist in prying open the game's secrets, players will have a robust inventory at hand in addition to the ability to combine items. The easy-to-use inventory enables you to study objects and combine objects, which just adds to the intrigue.
The action elements seem akin to what Fahrenheit had.
Quote:
To balance the puzzle and adventure side of the game, The Collective built a unique combat system it likes to call the "Struggle System." Similar to a wrestling grapple system, players will grab onto another character, and using a Simon Says-style button-tapping formula, they'll manhandle their enemies. It works like this, some bad-ass thug comes at you, and you grab them, holding onto their shoulders. A series of face buttons appear on screen and you must quickly punch them in the correct order. If successful, you'll watch as either Langdon or Neveu perform flip moves, gut punches, or throws to disable their opponents. You'll also find stealth attacks in the bag of tricks, in addition to the ability to push, defend, and dodge enemies. You can even distract opponents by throwing objects. Of course, the enemy is quite capable too. They'll fight back, throw items, throw you, dodge, and defend. To complete the package, players can hide bodies.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:36 PM   #18
Super Moderator

I'll remind you of something I said earlier in the thread. It was Charles Cecil that implied to AG that this wasn't an adventure game, and is mainly why we're not covering it right now.

I'm still not saying that AG shouldn't cover it, but not enough was seen at E3 to make an outright decision. Anyway, it's out at the end of this week so I'm sure if it does turn out to be on the right side of adventureyness we'll cover it.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:56 PM   #19

Fair enough
Old 05-14-2006, 04:28 PM   #20
Hopeful skeptic

It's less about "what" is in it than "how much" (and perhaps how hard). And that I still don't know. I did play some at E3, and encountered both conventional adventure elements and a fair bit of action. The comparison to Fahrenheit is certainly warranted, as it's pretty much DDR-style pattern matching. The action isn't limited to fighting, but also environmental interactions (pushing blocks, etc).

So I certainly won't reject the idea of covering the game based on its mechanics. It's mostly a matter of finding out what the balance is.