You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure So did you like DreamFall or not??

View Poll Results: So did you like DreamFall or not?
Yes. 136 60.44%
No. 25 11.11%
I haven't played it yet... 50 22.22%
I don't think i want to play it. 6 2.67%
It won't run on my system 8 3.56%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2006, 12:54 AM   #1

Default So did you like DreamFall or not??

I finished dreamfall yesterday and after i browsed the forums to read some opinions i was shocked that so many people thought that it was disappointing.
It almost seemed that those who liked it were way less.
I need to know that is not true!

So answer this simple question with a simple yes or no.
Don't start with those "yes, but it could have been better if..." etc.
Just tell us if you liked it or not.
Old 05-12-2006, 12:55 AM   #2

No.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:13 AM   #3

I liked it. I think the reason it was dissapointing to some is because of the lack of intelligent interactivity. I wouldn't call running from one place to another, talking to them then running back again very intelligent interactivity. More puzzles and not only fetch quests, more obstacles. The game had absolutely zero challenges, and the gameplay itself couldn't stand on their own. The only real thing that saves this game is the story and the way it's told, the atmosphere and music. Stuff like that. It's not so much an adventure game, more like one long interactive movie. I think that's why it's got such divided opinions.

I don't mind these games, so I enjoyed it. I'm really looking forward to the last game in the series (supposedly a trilogy) and I'm pretty sure they'll listen to their fans and put more things to do and more puzzles/obstacles - and if not completely removed, then at least improved fighting or sneaking. I don't mind them that much, but they seemed to be using them for an excuse to not make some proper adventuregame elements. At times it felt like the developers had said; "ah hell, let's just put some sneaking and fighting in this scene and move on to the next".
Old 05-12-2006, 02:00 AM   #4

Good poll Keregioz
that's exactly what i was thinking let's see how many people liked it and how many didn't .
I'm voting "Yes"
Old 05-12-2006, 03:09 AM   #5
Easily amused

I'm pretty sure I'm not going to play it. Maybe in a few years if I find it in the bargain bin, I may buy it, but right now it doesn't interest me at all.
Old 05-12-2006, 03:32 AM   #6
Lazy Bee

I´ve just started playing it and can´t say I can present an opinion yet. There´s a lot to consider. I hope the poll will be open long enough for us who got the game late to be able to vote.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:02 AM   #7

I liked the game cause of the storyline.

I didn't like the fighting
I didn't like the 3d control
I didn't like the easy puzzles

But I lOVE the whole story
Old 05-12-2006, 04:23 AM   #8
Irritant F0rum Beasty

For me a strong story alone just isn't enough when it comes to adventure games, I need the interativity to go along with it. That's why I'm not a fan of (most of) todays adventure games.

I still plan on playing it at some point down the line, but I'm not in a major hurry to do so.

The Seed accepts no responsibility for any damage that my have been caused to your Hard Drive as a result of viewing this post!
Old 05-12-2006, 05:20 AM   #9

I'm on the fence. It was all right, but I was diappointed.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
I don't mind them that much, but they seemed to be using them for an excuse to not make some proper adventuregame elements. At times it felt like the developers had said; "ah hell, let's just put some sneaking and fighting in this scene and move on to the next".
In my opinion they just tried to approach a wider/different audience.
People that are not used to adventure games tend to not have much patience to solve the puzzles in the majority of todays adventures and also they like to have some combat/stealth elements and having to use their reflexes in their games. Fahreheit tried to achieve something similar but the "simon says" system was silly and the storyline was nowhere as good as dreamfall.

Now, how good these "combat/stealth" elements in dreamfall were is another story. Personally i liked them cause they were simple and not furstrating, after all i'm a traditional adventure gamer and i don't play much else besides pure adventures...

The only thing that i didn't like,
Spoiler:
was the ending. It has TOO many cliffhangers and that sucks. Putting a cliffhanger in a tv series and having to wait a week to see the rest is ok. Even a cliffhanger in the end of the season of a tv series is kind of ok.
But cliff hanger in a game that there's no chance it will come out at least in the next 2 years is just cruel.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:58 AM   #11
I've come for the fork!

Yes. I just finished it last night. It was quite possibly the best story ever told through a game. And it was beautiful to boot. I liked the combat, and the stealth was elementary. I only wish there were more puzzles.
Old 05-12-2006, 08:28 AM   #12
Dreamfall Soon!

This poll would have been better with an "It was okay" choice. I mean, I didn't dislike it but I was still disappointed. I chose "yes" just because choosing "no" seemed to harsh for the game. Like others have said, I loved the story, didn't mind the fighting/action but I was extremely disappointed with the game play.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:14 AM   #13
Schättenjager

It's ok. I give 5 or 5,5 out of 10.

Ps:And of course I cant vote under this situation
Old 05-12-2006, 10:38 AM   #14
Sky is not the limit

Send a message via ICQ to Zanthia Send a message via Yahoo to Zanthia

Quote:
Originally Posted by colpet
I'm pretty sure I'm not going to play it. Maybe in a few years if I find it in the bargain bin, I may buy it, but right now it doesn't interest me at all.
___
+1 |
Old 05-12-2006, 01:52 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoyoteAG
This poll would have been better with an "It was okay" choice. I mean, I didn't dislike it but I was still disappointed. I chose "yes" just because choosing "no" seemed to harsh for the game.
Same deal here, except I said "no" because choosing "yes" seemed too generous.
Old 05-12-2006, 04:38 PM   #16
is not wierd

I voted couldn't get it to work on my system. I got it to work, but I couldn't get a reasonable framerate and thus had problems with the camera and the cursor. So I'll have to wait.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:00 PM   #17

CoyoteAG, weemies and Gabe...

I thought i made that clear in my first post, voting yes doesn't mean that you think that is a masterpiece. It just means that you've played it and you liked it dispite all it's possible flaws which everybody has mentioned.
Voting no means that you don't think is a good game and you were not able to enjoy it at all.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:48 AM   #18

I enjoyed Dreamfall. There are all kinds of games that are different in their approach and some click, some don't. Dreamfall clicked.

In general I don't like 3D keyboard control in adventures, but in a few games I like sauntering around, it adds to the experience. Many people didn't like Grim Fandango's controls, but I thought it made it easier to experience the world as Manny saw it. Same here in Dreamfall. I actually think the Syberia games would have been nice using these controls as they're essentially sauntering games.

The story is most important to me in adventures and I like Dreamfall's. There wasn't any real challenge here, but I didn't mind that as I took my time and looked around (there are some interesting sights if you spend the time to seek them out). It felt like a good book being presented on screen, and even though the story was exciting, the experience was relaxing - like a book.

Overall, an amazing experience, I wish more games (but not all of them) provided a similar experience. If part three is the same type of game that would be fantasitic, but if it's more traditional adventure then that's great too.
Old 05-13-2006, 04:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groopy
I liked the game cause of the storyline.

I didn't like the fighting
I didn't like the 3d control
I didn't like the easy puzzles

But I lOVE the whole story
agree with u

story was good but i must add one thing the journey was not long enough actualy it was little ... damn i hoped to play it like a week or so cus of the size of the game but it didnt earn the name longest journey
Old 05-13-2006, 12:14 PM   #20

Well, I'm one of the poeple who pre-ordered the game. So I have yet to get it. =\
I'll vote as soon as I do though.