You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Where are our compilations??

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2006, 04:09 PM   #1

Default Where are our compilations??

I'm new to this forum. but am loving it already, but my question is WERE ARE OUR COMPILATIONS OF THE GREAT GAMES!?!?! why doesnt a big developer like lucas arts go ahead and put a big compilation together of all the monkey island games, all the sam&max game(s), Full throttle, Indiana jones, day of the tenticle. Cmon whos with me??
Old 05-09-2006, 04:13 PM   #2

Sierra (supposedly) will be re-releasing some of their compilations: King's Qest, Space Quest, Quest for Glory.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:14 PM   #3
Explorer

Doesn't LucasArts still sell the Adventure Archives Volume 1, or something similar, that bunches together a bunch of their great games? Anyway, you can order them through the LucasArts website.

Most people who are still looking for those games though want the original releases, for all the cool collectible stuff they have, rather than a generic bundle. At least, that's my take.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:16 PM   #4

hmm il check out that product on lucas art's website. im on a mac so im wondering if they sell it for it : / thanks for the feedback
Old 05-09-2006, 04:35 PM   #5

LucasArts does not sell any of its classic titles through their web site.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #6
SamNMax

They used to have every compilation they put out on their website, but not anymore. Sad, really.

Old 05-09-2006, 05:15 PM   #7
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by sputnik8
I'm new to this forum. but am loving it already, but my question is WERE ARE OUR COMPILATIONS OF THE GREAT GAMES!?!?! why doesnt a big developer like lucas arts go ahead and put a big compilation together of all the monkey island games, all the sam&max game(s), Full throttle, Indiana jones, day of the tenticle. Cmon whos with me??
Who's gonna buy them?

LA would rather invest their money in a new Indy Jones action/adventure and new technology for games than the miniscule niche market of old adventure games.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-09-2006, 05:51 PM   #8
SamNMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens
Who's gonna buy them?
Nobody, but they know what happens when they make their old fans agery...

Old 05-09-2006, 05:53 PM   #9
merely human

What happens?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-09-2006, 05:54 PM   #10
SamNMax

... Just... Something bad, okay?

Old 05-09-2006, 05:54 PM   #11
merely human

Such as...?
Old 05-09-2006, 05:54 PM   #12
SamNMax

Oh, shut up.

Old 05-09-2006, 06:01 PM   #13
merely human

*shrugs*
Old 05-09-2006, 06:14 PM   #14

point is. i dont have an old compy i can play my games on... its not fiar (contiunies to sulk and whine for rest of the day)
Old 05-09-2006, 06:20 PM   #15

Quote:
point is. i dont have an old compy i can play my games on... its not fiar (contiunies to sulk and whine for rest of the day)
There's many options to run older games on newer PCs. For starters, try downloading the program ScummVM. It'll allow you to run practically every single LucasArts game on modern systems, plus many others.

Other programs that are very useful are DosBox, which emulates DOS and allows you to run older games. It can be confusing, however, but their are many Front-Ends and tutorials on how to configure it correctly.

As for getting copies of older games, there's always eBay. And there's other ways of getting the games not so legally online, though I won't go into that for obvious reasons.

Anyway, no need to sulk. Get productive and start playing all your old favourites right now!
Old 05-09-2006, 06:23 PM   #16
merely human

Quote:
Awww, poopsie. I know, I know, but that's unfortunately the reality. There isn't enough of a demand for those old games to be reformatted to run on Vista (that's right, 'cause it'd take at least that long re-do the old games). That process costs lots and lots of money, plus the cost of packaging them, plus the cost of marketing and advertising, and whatever else. And there are only what, 20,000 or so people interested in buying it? That won't make a profit, will it?
Old 05-09-2006, 07:10 PM   #17

lucas arts is a preety big company, no?
there also is the possibility to do a direct download fetaure. i dont understand why C&C gets a reveamp but us cool gamers are left in the dust, till then..il have to scratch my own itch...now if i wuz only good at math
Old 05-10-2006, 05:26 AM   #18
Master of time and space

I'm waiting for a Tex Murphy compilation myself
Old 05-10-2006, 12:30 PM   #19
kamikaze hummingbirds

Quote:
lucas arts is a preety big company, no?
there also is the possibility to do a direct download fetaure. i dont understand why C&C gets a reveamp but us cool gamers are left in the dust, till then..il have to scratch my own itch...now if i wuz only good at math
what in gods name does mathematics have to do with this!?!
Old 05-10-2006, 12:43 PM   #20
Master of time and space

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite
what in gods name does mathematics have to do with this!?!
Maybe he wishes to write the games himself and math is good to know when writing code...