You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure C.S.I 3, Case 2 (Spoilers)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2006, 04:22 AM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM
Default C.S.I 3, Case 2 (Spoilers)

When you know how the industry works and followed the history of the adventuregame genré for the past 20 years you cannot help to feel effected of Case 2 in C.S.I 3: Dimensions of Murder.

You wonder how much the developers themselves poured into the story. It's almost a parody of the whole game industry, but it's also tells the bitter truth.
The "suspects" become methaphores.
The company that looks for sucess and understand that explicit sex and violence is the best way to sell copies.
The boss who manipulates their workers into working harder and then backstabs them.
The "earthbound" comicwriter that doesnt like the unethic direction of the industry but instead loved his characters enough to make a game about them (Sam & Max style). The sequel that was canned due to bad sales. He ended up without the right to his own creation and now he lives in a car. We get to see some of the reaction from his rabid fanbase.
The sales manager that builds up the hype, who really doesnt care for the games they sell but just the money and potential profit ("we can get a good game that only a vocal minority wants, or a bad game that sells millions of copies").
Finally we have the programmer himself who really do all the work, but end up with scrap to make sure marketing get their bonus.

It's almost like you feel touched by the developers behind the game. Did they make a parody of themselves, or do they try to tell something?
Old 05-08-2006, 07:05 AM   #2
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

I dont remember the crappy game they were trying to sell having any sex involved with it...apart from the part where the sales manager threatens to rename the game to "Butwrencher"
Old 05-09-2006, 03:58 AM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

The game itself did not have any sex, but they talk about "exploiting sex and violence to sell better" in the dialogue several times.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:56 AM   #4
Friendly Server Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM
It's almost like you feel touched by the developers behind the game. Did they make a parody of themselves, or do they try to tell something?
Bit of both, I think.

There are some other "in jokes" in that case, besides the obvious ones... several of the characters are modelled after Telltale employees. The boss's name was originally Stan Connors (Telltale's CEO is Dan Connors). An artist named Mai Nyguen worked on the case, and the lead designer was Greg Land (i.e. Craig Landers).

EDIT: Oops - this is Emily on Doug's computer. We're off to E3! (At an unsightly early hour!)