You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Legacy: Dark Shadows new trailer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2003, 05:49 AM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to Firefoot Send a message via MSN to Firefoot
Default Legacy: Dark Shadows

A new trailer of Legacy: Dark Shadows has been released as a new year gift. I'm still downloading it (15,1Mb), so can't tell you anything yet!

[edit] It doesn't quite work for me... the video stops working after a few secs...

Emma is unbeatable, but here are My DVD's...

Last edited by Firefoot; 12-31-2003 at 06:05 AM.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:52 AM   #2
Mostly absent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
[edit] It doesn't quite work for me... the video stops working after a few secs...
That's weird, it worked perfectly fine for me.

The game looks very dark and pretty static IMO and it's pretty amusing to see Ren Silver (the female protagonist) walk around in the game world. It looks stiff and one could say that she walks like a duck.
But they still have some time to fix that I guess, so I'll stop criticizing the game right here and wait to get my hands on it before passing more judgment.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:39 PM   #3

A little (quite spoiler less) prologue has been released here... It also contains some new screenshots...

Old 03-24-2004, 12:19 PM   #4

New screens (and news) are released of the game!

Old 03-24-2004, 02:43 PM   #5

Am I on crack or is there a playable alpha version of the game available on their website? Has anyone tried it? I'm downloading it now.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:43 PM   #6
Grumpy & bitter man

Send a message via ICQ to VoodooFX Send a message via MSN to VoodooFX

That alpha is old, and voices used there are not by professionals. I think they're promising way too much, and i doubt they'll be able to deliver half of that. Game does look good on pictures, but as was already said... walking is stiff, turning as i recall it, was also silly, world around you is too static, but then again, most of today's adventures suffer from the same problem.

On thing that bothered me, more than usual anyway, is how Ren doesn't blend well with pre-rendered backgrounds. Anyone else agrees with me?
Old 03-24-2004, 04:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooFX
That alpha is old, and voices used there are not by professionals. I think they're promising way too much, and i doubt they'll be able to deliver half of that. Game does look good on pictures, but as was already said... walking is stiff, turning as i recall it, was also silly, world around you is too static, but then again, most of today's adventures suffer from the same problem.

On thing that bothered me, more than usual anyway, is how Ren doesn't blend well with pre-rendered backgrounds. Anyone else agrees with me?

Oh yeah sorry forgot to check the date on the alpha2 demo. But I think this game does look very promising. I mean, sh*t, for an alpha it looks good! If you ignore the voices it's actually playable. The fact that it's static merely implies they haven't done much pre-rendered and 3d animation yet. It would be unfair to judge the (character/background) animation based on a tiny alpha or a teaser.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:43 PM   #8
Grumpy & bitter man

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
If you ignore the voices it's actually playable. The fact that it's static merely implies they haven't done much pre-rendered and 3d animation yet. It would be unfair to judge the (character/background) animation based on a tiny alpha or a teaser.
Well regarding voices, i just wanted to inform you, they won't be THAT bad, as they are just for the test of alpha build. I wasn't implying that this is what we'll hear in the final game

Regarding anything else i've said... when i played alpha long ago, i was optimistic, 'coz they where promising pleanty... but this last trailer was done using much more finished game, showing more locations, characters, etc, but you can still see her walking stiffly & turning funny. Like the whole walk cycle is made of one single step and then looped to look as she is walking.
Plus i don't think they plan to implement much needed "run" feature.

If they manage to fix all that by the time this game hits the shelves, then hat down to the authors and i'll take back everything i've said. And don't get me wrong, all i'm saying is that this games has some serious technical flaws, but that doesn't mean it will be bad adventure game.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:49 PM   #9

Heh don't know of a game developer that hasn't promised plenty
I merely meant that I WOULD BE worried, were this a beta version, but alpha version is so early in dev that it doesn't give a good indication at all, what the final game will look like. Trust me I've handled enough alpha and beta versions of AGs as well as shooters and strategy games to know the difference between the different stages of development. About the voices; ofcourse they won't be like that in the final version but if they were, It'd be the first game I'd buy for hilariously bad voice acting.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:03 PM   #10
Grumpy & bitter man

Well i had nothing against that alpha, because as i've said it myself, it looked promising for an alpha, but seeing that trailer at the end of 2003, and seeing how nothing has changed worries me little.
Trailer was not from an alpha version anymore, yet all the problems remain(except for voice acting, which we don't get to hear in trailer )
I just hope that during this delay from december 03 to Q1 2004, time is being wisely spent on polishing this baby.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:36 PM   #11

Well, hearing your story makes me more cautious indeed.
Especially since this is Razbor's first game, well, not if you account for the kidgame they designed though
Old 03-26-2004, 12:40 PM   #12

If I may meddle in this conversation... As you said the download is an alpha version and very buggy and not everything implemented... Now the game has more features (like the running option you mentioned, but more off coures). I agree with you that Ren is still a bit stiff. From what I've seen from the game it needs some details to get fixed but then it will IMHO a great game. The mood of the game is great, store will be great too (I only know it partly though), some screens have rain (with drops in the puddles), moving elevators, etc. IMO Ren blends much better in the backgrounds nowadays too.
As for the voices, I think I haven't heared the final voices yet...

ps. meaning that it is the first (adventure) game doesn't mean that it is a bad game...

Old 03-26-2004, 01:02 PM   #13
Grumpy & bitter man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot
If I may meddle in this conversation...
yes you may

Well everything i've said, is based on what's been shown to us until now. Obviously you've seen some stuff that rest of us haven't, so i guess we have no other choice than to trust your judgment. I'm glad there will be run feature, and especially, that walk cycle improved since last alpha. i could live with "not so good" character blending with background.
Old 03-28-2004, 06:35 AM   #14

Glad you 'trust' me... but be warned that they're just my conclusions and that they might not be the same as yours!

A little part of a screenshot attached why I think Ren blends in quite well! I hope they don't mind!

ps. yes, I think I've seen more of the recent developments than you!
pps. wow, a whole lot of compression required to get it under 40Kb...

[edit] ppps. I think the recently released screens also makes my point of the attached image clear...
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2004, 08:47 AM   #15
Prove it all night

Send a message via MSN to James

this one could go either way - great potential versus untested team; still twill be interesting to keep watch.
"All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible." - Thomas Edward Lawrence