You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure How far have you gone to get game?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2006, 04:37 AM   #1
The hell of it all

Default How far have you gone to get game?

Recently there have been a few games that have had a US release but no plans for distribution in the UK (and vice versa). This really sucks as many of us, including myself, have to spend hours, even days, trying to get hold of games.

I have spoken directly to game publishers who have either blank ignored requests for a UK release and even refused to ship to the UK. The same goes from Amazon and the other on-line stores who have to work within the distribution guidelines of the publishers.

How far have you gone to get hold of a game that publishers refuse to release in your country? Should they start listening to the players more or at least allowing to ship to other countries?
Old 05-06-2006, 07:24 AM   #2

Wait till you see me kill someone for a copy of 'The Dark Eye'. Th stubborn sellers at Amazon.com just won't answer back faster than 2 days.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:28 AM   #3
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul1275
How far have you gone to get hold of a game that publishers refuse to release in your country? Should they start listening to the players more or at least allowing to ship to other countries?
I'm not quite sure what you mean. I've imported games from Canada and America, and a DVD from Australia, but I've never actually gone to another country to get a game.

Well, I supposed I've bought the odd game in France...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 05-06-2006, 07:31 AM   #4
Easily amused

I've made a few gaming friends outside of North America. When I need a specific title that I can't get here, they usually help me out.
Old 05-06-2006, 07:34 AM   #5
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Video Games Plus is a great online store that ships North American releases to the UK. The postage is eztremely reasonable, and they sometimes tell porky pies on the customs label so you don't get smacked with import duty.

That's as far as I've gone, anyway. Highly recommended!
Old 05-07-2006, 06:42 AM   #6
Bad command or file name

I won't soil all of your untainted minds with knowledge of the deeds I have done to acquire certain games in my collection.

Okay, maybe I will soil your minds anyways... I've shopped at 'WAL-MART'!!!

*collective gasp from all within earshot*

I'm not proud of what I've done but I willingly accepted the eternity of damnation I now look forward to.

…Don't cry for me...

...I'm already dead.

*curtain closes*

...bysmitty
-sober up
-watch simpsons at 6pm
-UPDATE MY WEBSITE!!!
Old 05-07-2006, 07:30 AM   #7

On a few occasions, I've gone directly to the publisher's website to order games, which has resulted in a few overseas imports. I was lucky to have studied French in school, as it was quite useful for one or two occasions when a game available in English was only sold through a French language online store.

I've also paid more for shipping on a few games than I paid for the game itself. In one case (Chewy: Escape from F5) I almost didn't buy the game as shipping was nearly double the price. I only did buy it in the end because they threw in a second game free with the order. Which was nice. Doubly so because now Chewy is on the "ultra-rare adventures" list.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:03 AM   #8

Treked across the Himalayas, wrestled Loch Ness, dined with a crocodile, played Chess with an anteater. That sort of thing.
Old 05-08-2006, 10:09 AM   #9

Well, this one time I did have to run around an eerie, confusing mansion in order to slip into someone's bedroom in order to use his computer so Icould play Maniac Mansion, if that counts.