You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Just a thought on the new Agatha Christie game

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2006, 05:59 PM   #1
Adventurer

Default Just a thought on the new Agatha Christie game

Call me crazy, but I swear that when I read Murder on the Orient Express, the main character was Hercule Poirot, a frenchman who is most definately not into drag...
So what gives? A new playable character was necessary to make ATTWN's story work but I can't see why you'd replace Poirot in this story...

For that matter, doesn't changing the ending to this story defeat the purpose of making a game based on this story? The solution to this mystery was so intricate (and contrived) that without it, you will miss out on the motives and method of this murder which was what the point of the story was. If they change the story, won't this game will just become some other random murder committed on a train?

I guess we'll just have to see...
Old 05-03-2006, 06:10 PM   #2
The Punisher

Send a message via ICQ to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via AIM to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via MSN to [toj.cc]Phantom Send a message via Yahoo to [toj.cc]Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRMW
Call me crazy, but I swear that when I read Murder on the Orient Express, the main character was Hercule Poirot, a frenchman who is most definately not into drag...
So what gives? A new playable character was necessary to make ATTWN's story work but I can't see why you'd replace Poirot in this story...

For that matter, doesn't changing the ending to this story defeat the purpose of making a game based on this story? The solution to this mystery was so intricate (and contrived) that without it, you will miss out on the motives and method of this murder which was what the point of the story was. If they change the story, won't this game will just become some other random murder committed on a train?

]

That sounds stupid to me...I read the book also and Hercule was not into "drag" ...hmmm....I hate when movie/game companies ruin stories from books...
Old 05-03-2006, 06:22 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I'm not sure where he's getting the 'drag' info and the lack of Hercules Poirot from.

...unless he's joking.
Old 05-03-2006, 06:26 PM   #4
Roar?

HEE HEE Poirot in drag.
Old 05-03-2006, 08:02 PM   #5
fire breathing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
I'm not sure where he's getting the 'drag' info and the lack of Hercules Poirot from.

...unless he's joking.
the screens show an older lady walking around the screen. It's possible that she's not the only playable character. I actually thought she might be Christie herself or something. I dunno.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:07 PM   #6
Dungeon Master

Quote:
You are crazy.

Poirot was BELGIAN!!!
WRMW
Old 05-03-2006, 11:52 PM   #7
Adventure ergo sum

Poirot does appear in the game; at least this guy looks very much to the standard "poirot look" seen in David Suchet's impersonation of the character.

I'm guessing Poirot will help us (i.e. the blonde girl) in our investigation. Or maybe we shall control them both.

Old 05-04-2006, 12:35 AM   #8

Quote:

How about the same aproach as in PrivateEye? At the start of the game you could choose if you want to play through original storyline or through changed one
Old 05-04-2006, 12:40 AM   #9
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmer
Poirot does appear in the game; at least this guy looks very much to the standard "poirot look" seen in David Suchet's impersonation of the character.
Whoah. That is the most laughable moustache I've ever seen on a video game character.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-04-2006, 01:12 AM   #10
Grah! Grah!

You obviously haven't seen Guybrush Threepwood's. (Guffaw.)
Old 05-04-2006, 11:52 AM   #11
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
You are crazy.

Poirot was BELGIAN!!!
WRMW
Ooops. Well I guess I should confess; I'm not what you'd call an avid Christie fan. Murder on the Orient Express and AATWN are the only two of her novels I have read... With the typically french name, I guess I just assumed

Yes drag was a (sort of) joke referring to the newly released screens. I suppose more accurately I could have said "crossdressing" but I believe I get my point across anyways.

Oh and, my entire post was just based on those screenshots; I have no idea if Poirot is supposed to be in the game or not, but the lady seemed to be the main character so, once again, I just assumed.

yeah, yeah , When I assume...
Old 05-04-2006, 11:57 AM   #12
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianWerner
How about the same aproach as in PrivateEye? At the start of the game you could choose if you want to play through original storyline or through changed one
Sounds like an interesting idea, but then wouldn't you have to produce two entirely separate games? For a normal adventure budget, seems a little far fetched.
Old 05-04-2006, 12:11 PM   #13
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmer
Hmm... that's almost a likeness. I'll officially overhype this game and get all fanboyish about it if they sign him up to lend his voice to the game .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.