You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Are the independents beating the studios?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2006, 07:49 AM   #1
The hell of it all

Default Are the independents beating the studios?

Is it me or are we seeing a trend where independent game designers are producing far more interesting games than there studio counterparts?

I recently bought a copy of "Barrow Hill", not only independently made, but independently published also! It has to be said, that while the graphics may not rival people like cyan worlds, the imagination, sound design, story and game interface outweigh many adventure games out there.

The same goes for the recent success of Scratches, a game that does include beautifully rendered 3D models and a great atmospheric storyline...

But hey, are there any other independent game makers out there that we should keep an eye on? Maybe the future belongs to the independents.

The game studios are dead, long live the independents!
Old 05-02-2006, 08:05 AM   #2

I thought both of those games got bad reviews.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:28 AM   #3
Unreliable Narrator

Send a message via AIM to Squinky Send a message via MSN to Squinky

Reviews are a matter of personal taste.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:39 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squinky
Reviews are a matter of personal taste.
I think they are more of an unbiased opinion. Looking at the review instead of the sales figures I would tend to believe the games were not as "succesfull" as the poster may believe. I guarantee you that outside of the adventure community (which isnt that big) the games were not popular. Would you go out of your way to play a game you generally dont play if it recieved bad reviews across the board?

I personally think that many adventure fans are so desperate to call anything good that they become biased. I played Scratches and wasnt impressed. I have not been impressed in an adventure in some time.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:32 AM   #5
Super Moderator

Look at player reviews on GameSpot vs. what the Gamespot reviewer said and there is quite a difference. I don't think there is a complete lack of bias in any game review. I thought it was a fantastic game it just wasn't your particular thing but hopefully there's some games out there for you to enjoy more.

And how do you define success? Sales? Good reviews? The personal satisfaction that you've made some people happy with your game? Success is probably defined differently for many people.
Old 05-02-2006, 09:47 AM   #6
Easily amused

I think the independents are designing games that adventure fans want to play. Their intent is not to conquer the mainstream market, as perhaps some of the larger productions seem to want to do. Most of the indie developers I'm familiar with play adventures and frequent the forums, so they have a good sense of what the community wants. Not only is the quality of these games high, but there is a variety for all tastes - puzzlers, 1st person and 3rd person. I've recently played some smaller productions:
Remedy - a beautiful, simple game
Delaware St. John Vol 1 and 2 - I loved these games. The main characters have chemistry reminiscent of Gabe and Grace, and the atmosphere is good and spooky.
Lifestream and Shady Brook - with lots of characters to talk to, this wasn't my ideal game, however, I throughly enjoyed the strategy guide with its easter eggs explanations, plot discussion, and lists of goals for each chapter.
Of course there's always the 'older' indies - Dark Fall 1 and 2, Rhem, Harvest, Arrangement, Cracking the Conspiracy, and Last Half of Darkness - all of which gave me as much or more entertainment than some of the bigger titles.
On my to be played shelf I've got - Rhem 2, Scratches, Hauntings of Mystery Manor and Barrow Hill.
I'm looking forward to more information about Lunar Deep, Destinies, Lost Crown, Scavenger Hunter, Beyond the Spirit's Eye, Delaware Vol 3, Ilathid, Sev Tsahno and Thesis.

Last edited by colpet; 05-02-2006 at 10:04 AM.