You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Where is Dreamfall in Canada?(At least in Ontario)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2006, 04:29 PM   #1

Default Where is Dreamfall in Canada?(At least in Ontario)

Hey everyone, I don't know if this question has been brought up yet(I tried searching the threads but couldn't really find anything), so I apologize in advance if my thread overlaps with any existing threads or topics. My question goes out to fellow adventure gamers in Canada, particularly in Ontario; where can I get my hands on a copy of Dreamfall? I went to many stores in London, Toronto, Markham, Mississauga, and none of them seem to be carrying Dreamfall, or have even heard of it. One sales clerk in an EB in Markham even stated that they're "sold out" despite not having carried any stock recently or having never heard of the game until I brought it up. So, has anyone else been having this problem, or is this another example of a "limited release" like Psychonauts?
Old 05-01-2006, 05:35 PM   #2
Explorer

I asked the same question here but no response was to be had:

http://forums.adventuregamers.com/sh...ad.php?t=14486

I ended up ordering the limited edition from Funcom.
Old 05-01-2006, 05:51 PM   #3
Roar?

I'm in Nova Scotia, but I find my copy at Zellers of all places.
Old 05-01-2006, 08:12 PM   #4
Baddest Badguy Ever

Staples/Business Depot in Alberta
Old 05-02-2006, 08:53 AM   #5

Thanks for the info. It's strange to think that other provinces in Canada seem to have Dreamfall readily available, yet the product is non-existant in Ontario. I'll keep looking around; the worst I'd have to do is order Dreamfall off Funcom like Brandon. At least that way I could get the limited edition.
Old 05-02-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
Explorer

Well, however, also judging by reports from other threads, even gaming stores like EB don't seem to have in-stock quantities to appease us masses. Now then, ordering the limited edition (heck, even the regular edition) from Funcom IS an exercise in overpricing, but I'm an enthusiast, so I had to have the limited edition.
Old 05-02-2006, 07:21 PM   #7
Roar?

I searched all over to find my copy. I looked in all of the expected places and then one day I was at Zellers looking for socks and a rubbermaid storage container when I spotted Dreamfall. I've also found DS games at Zellers that weren't available anywhere else.
Old 05-02-2006, 08:58 PM   #8
Explorer

LOL rubbermaid. Love it. The real question is, did you find some good rubbermaid? I never know where to go when I want tupperware-like items. See, maybe Zellers is the secret to everything.
Old 05-02-2006, 11:19 PM   #9

incidently what part of alberta for staples, I haven't been looking for dreamfall, though have been hitting up a lot of stores for Desperadoes 2. Seen Paradise every which way of tommorow but dreamfall has been conspiciously absent
Old 05-03-2006, 01:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon
LOL rubbermaid. Love it. The real question is, did you find some good rubbermaid? I never know where to go when I want tupperware-like items. See, maybe Zellers is the secret to everything.
Yes, maybe Zellers is the secret to everything. That is the one place where I haven't looked yet. As for the "search for Dreamfall", I think I'm on the right track as I found a store called Game Shack that carried a box(but no stock) of the Dreamfall PC version, and the store keeper actually heard of the game beyond the name; saying, "Isn't that the game with the girl named Zoe?" He claims he'll get a shipment of PC and Xbox copies tomorrow; I keeping my fingers crossed that's he's not lying...
Old 05-03-2006, 02:32 PM   #11
Explorer

You can add London Drugs' computer centers to the list of places NOT to go...
Old 05-05-2006, 05:57 PM   #12

Today I found out some information about the scarcity of Dreamfall copies in Canada. In an EB Games store I went to, a salesperson claimed that there were production difficulties with the manufacturing of Dreamfall copies, which explains why copies have been so sparse, or non-existant. I don't know if it's true or not; but for the sake of all eager adventure gamers in Canada trying to get their hands on Dreamfall, this might be some small comfort that it's coming soon...
Old 05-05-2006, 06:19 PM   #13
Roar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon
I did! On sale even. I wanted those giant storage tubs that stack and come in nice colours. Zellers has everything. Superstore/Loblaws is slowly turning into a Zellers with groceries, which would be even BETTER. Superstore even has a line of clothes and furniture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold-Factor
Today I found out some information about the scarcity of Dreamfall copies in Canada. In an EB Games store I went to, a salesperson claimed that there were production difficulties with the manufacturing of Dreamfall copies, which explains why copies have been so sparse, or non-existant. I don't know if it's true or not; but for the sake of all eager adventure gamers in Canada trying to get their hands on Dreamfall, this might be some small comfort that it's coming soon...
NOT COOL. I hate how long it takes for us to get adventure games in Canada. Most other games and dvds and music cds get here on time, but not adventure games. Half the time you can't even pre-order them from American sites. It's even worse in Nova Scotia. I have to wait a month for Nancy Drew games and even then I have to order them from Amazon.ca. I'm shocked that Halifax has something Toronto doesn't. Did you check Markham? What about that giant awesome Chinese mall? They seem to have a lot of game stores (don't know how many are legit, though). I notice that on eBay someone from Niagara falls has an unopened copy of the game. I wonder where they picked that up? (I'm not suggesting you go to Niagara Falls. (I would, but I have adventure game addiction problems.))

When I bought Dreamfall there were only two copies, but maybe they had more in the stockroom. If I were you I'd call around rather than hoofing it to every game store in town. EB games here was useless, it wasn't even in their system.
Old 05-05-2006, 09:18 PM   #14
Baddest Badguy Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Tuttle
incidently what part of alberta for staples, I haven't been looking for dreamfall, though have been hitting up a lot of stores for Desperadoes 2. Seen Paradise every which way of tommorow but dreamfall has been conspiciously absent
Sorry for the late reply, I was out of town.

I was at the Staples in downtown Edmonton, beside the Bell Tower. They only had two copies a week or so ago. $39.99.

Cheers
Old 05-05-2006, 09:40 PM   #15
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

Dreamfall is available in at least 2 of the 6 EB stores here in London. I should know, I checked yesterday! Curiously, the first store (mall location) was selling it for $34.99, the second store (newly opened, plaza location) for $31.99!!! Maybe you just happened to visit the wrong stores?

Now, if only the London EB stores would sell RHEM 2...!
Old 05-06-2006, 01:11 PM   #16

Hey Trunkyo, which EBs did you say had Dreamfall in London? I went to the EB at Masonville Mall and the one in the plaza with the Mandarin along Wellington Rd, on April 30th, and they never heard of the game; it wasn't even in the system, but nonetheless they claimed it was sold out. As for the localized search for Dreamfall around the Toronto area, I tried heading to Markham as per Stoofa's advice, but I didn't manage to find it in the Chinese mall(called Pacific Mall), or in Markville Mall. Pacific Mall only sold "discount" PS2 games, and the EB at Markville had the box of the XBOX version, but not the game. In the end, I went back to the Game Shack store I mentioned, and they claimed they were "just sold out", and the salesperson promised me he'd get a shipment on Tuesday and would call me when he received it. I get the feeling I'm being dicked around , but we'll see how it pans out next week.
Old 05-06-2006, 01:57 PM   #17
Beamin' Demon

Send a message via AIM to Trunkyo Send a message via MSN to Trunkyo Send a message via Yahoo to Trunkyo

The EB in White Oaks Mall (farther south on Wellington, closer to the 401) and the new one up at Hyde Park Rd. & Fanshawe Park Rd. (5 km west of Masonville) both had at least 1 copy of Dreamfall on the PC rack), so um, I guess you did visit the wrong stores? BTW, if it helps, the other 2 stores in London are located at Westmount Mall (southwest) and Argyle Mall (east end).

Hmm, I didn't think Pacific Mall would be a good source for PC games... that's where usually I go to get bootleg anime box sets (Oops, did I actually type that??? )

*wishes Cold-Factor lots of luck, then realizes he himself hasn't bought Dreamfall yet either *
Old 05-06-2006, 05:29 PM   #18

Cold-Factor,

I live in Toronto and I finally got my copy from EBGames inside the Promenade Mall in Thornhill (on Bathurst St. north of Steeles) and get this --- only one copy was sent to this particular location. There are also a number of EBGames within minutes of each other actually: there is one in Centrepoint Mall at Yonge and Steeles (there is also a Zellers store there too) and another EB at the corner of Yonge and Steeles (on Yonge immediately south of Steeles; you can park in the parking lot of Centrepoint and just walk across); and one at Steeles and Dufferin.

Last edited by jedicri; 05-06-2006 at 05:37 PM.
Old 05-06-2006, 05:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunkyo
Hmm, I didn't think Pacific Mall would be a good source for PC games... that's where usually I go to get bootleg anime box sets (Oops, did I actually type that??? )
And DVDs if you know which ones to choose

Quote:
*wishes Cold-Factor lots of luck, then realizes he himself hasn't bought Dreamfall yet either *
I wish him luck too --- I went through the same thing as he did and even considered ordering it online this week....
Old 05-06-2006, 07:56 PM   #20

Thanks for the advice Trunkyo and jedicri! I'll continue looking in the locations you guys specified, although I probably won't be heading back to London anytime soon, so probably the first order of business is to hit up the stores around the North York, Thornhill areas, and hope they have a brand spanking new copy of the Xbox version of Dreamfall! The irony that I noticed just by reading responses on this thread has been people finding Xbox versions when they needed PC versions, and in my case with Game Shack today, finding PC versions when I wanted the Xbox version. Go figure. The quest continues.