You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Gabriel Knight games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2007, 05:54 PM   #41
Sar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonchi View Post
I know, but just as long as we're thinking wishfully...

In all honesty, I'd have a very hard time getting excited over anything Vivendi were to announce in relation to their adventure licenses after the Magna Cum Laude and XP Compilations fiascos. I seriously don't believe they have the capacity to deliver anything that'll interest me.
I think another Gab Knight would likely go through the roof in sales on day one. I think the last adventure game issued by Vivendi was GK3 and it was also the last product made by that company I bought. The European companies are the ones making adventure games and for the most part doing a fine job. As long as the franchise remains in Europe it's in good hands. It is hard to believe that Vivendi et all just cannot wrap their minds around the concept. Didn't the US car makers commit the same mistake?

Last edited by Sar; 09-08-2007 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 07:23 PM   #42

Send a message via ICQ to Spikey Send a message via AIM to Spikey Send a message via MSN to Spikey

You can't be serious..

Quote:
I think the last adventure game issued by Vivendi was GK3 and it was also the last product made by that company I bought. The European companies are the ones making adventure games and for the most part doing a fine job. As long as the franchise remains in Europe it's in good hands. It is hard to believe that Vivendi et all just cannot wrap their minds around the concept. Didn't the US car makers commit the same mistake?
GK3 was a *Sierra* game, not a Vivendi game. It was the last true adventure made by the company before Chainsaw Monday.

The 'franchise' of Sierra in Vivendi's hands is an absolute disaster. They've made MCL and released those XP compilations, and now reduced Larry 7 to an awful mobile phone game- not to mention threatening fan sites and games with legal action- I don't see what good has come from them owning the rights yet.

Don't ever forget- Vivendi owns Sierra for one reason- money. That's all, not some secret plot to revive adventure gaming, or whatever.

As for a GK4, I hope like hell it never happens. Last I heard, Jane isn't interested in working with Vivendi and doesn't really want to do GK4 anyway, she's 'moved on'. Not that I blame her after the GK3 experience..

- Spike
Old 09-11-2007, 12:26 PM   #43
Sar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
You can't be serious..

GK3 was a *Sierra* game, not a Vivendi game. It was the last true adventure made by the company before Chainsaw Monday.

The 'franchise' of Sierra in Vivendi's hands is an absolute disaster. They've made MCL and released those XP compilations, and now reduced Larry 7 to an awful mobile phone game- not to mention threatening fan sites and games with legal action- I don't see what good has come from them owning the rights yet.

Don't ever forget- Vivendi owns Sierra for one reason- money. That's all, not some secret plot to revive adventure gaming, or whatever.

As for a GK4, I hope like hell it never happens. Last I heard, Jane isn't interested in working with Vivendi and doesn't really want to do GK4 anyway, she's 'moved on'. Not that I blame her after the GK3 experience..

- Spike
That's nit picking. Of course GK3 was a sierra game project through and through but it was in fact released after V bought out Sierra. Technically it was a V owned release. I did not say they were behind it. In fact from what I read in interviews V would not have released it except it was close to completion meaning "profits". V forced the finish to be rushed. Again "V does not care about adventure. But there are profits to be made from somebody else's work" When I said it was the last adventure game to come out of V that was a sarcasm pointing to the fact V never made an adventure game. I think KQ8 may have come out after V took over but one can hardly call KQ8 an adventure game.

Again my point was Vivendi does not make adventure games. In between the lines of interviews I read Ms. Jensen will not work with these people based on the GK3 experience, hence no GK4 because vivendi owns the rights.
I agree Sierra was finished the moment the new owners took over. Their actions suggest they wanted to cash in on the brand name without continuing the Sierra style games or advancing the work in the genre the Williams's helped develop
Old 09-11-2007, 10:42 PM   #44

VU did not own Sierra during most of the development of GK3. CUC International bought Sierra in 1996. In 1997 CUC merged with HFS Incorporated to form Cendant Corporation. Ken Williams resigned as Sierra’s CEO later in 1997. at the end of 1998, Cendant sold its consumer software division (including Sierra) to Paris-based Havas S.A., which was acquired by Vivendi S.A. In 2000 Vivendi acquired Universal Studios to become Vivendi Universal Entertainment. GK3 was released before VU started to make its presence felt.

GK3 is not a VU game and you will not find Vivendi or VU mentioned anywhere on the packaging.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:45 AM   #45

I loved the GK series. I didn't play GK3 up until recently though and sad that there will not be a 4th one. I have read that Jane Jensen would like to do another GK but can't unless Vivendi releases the licensing.

Looking forward to Grey Matter though!

So for other GK fans, what other games match up to the character development, style, etc.? Any suggestions?

I'm going to dig out 1 and 2 from storage and see if I can get them working on XP. It's been a long timie since I played either of them.
Old 09-17-2007, 10:51 AM   #46
Super Moderator

When you're ready to play GK1 and 2, it's not that hard to get them to work. For GK1, you can use DosBox (if you know how) or you can get the fan made installer for XP. Search the Hints and Technical tips forum. There are lots of GK help threads for those.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:05 AM   #47

Thanks Melanie! When I do dig out my copies I'll definitely check out the forum to get it to work.

On a related side note, I was pleasantly surprised that I could get DOTT to work on XP with a little tweaking recently.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:00 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by misa View Post
Thanks Melanie! When I do dig out my copies I'll definitely check out the forum to get it to work.

On a related side note, I was pleasantly surprised that I could get DOTT to work on XP with a little tweaking recently.
Yes, GK1 is easy to get running in DOSBox. For the Lucas Arts games, look no further than www.ScummVM.org. It supports more than Scumm games.