You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Gabriel Knight games

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-22-2007, 10:52 PM   #21
Schättenjager

Here is your answer: http://www.gabrielknight2k.tk/
Old 08-22-2007, 11:24 PM   #22

The link I gave is the actual site, hosted on VOGONS. the tk is just a redirect.
Old 08-23-2007, 03:15 AM   #23

Thanks all. Awesome.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:12 PM   #24

Does anyone know where I can find a detailed plot summary of GK3? I never played it due to my inability to handle the interface and 3D environment (made me dizzy). But I am really curious to know what the story is and what happens. I made it only as far as the moustache puzzle!
Old 09-05-2007, 01:17 PM   #25

I played GK1 on Win 98 a few years ago, no problems there iirc.
I still have the game, but sorry Henke, I will not trade it by any means :-)
And about 1 year ago I played GK2 on WinXP and everything went smoothly.
Old 09-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #26
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80k View Post
Does anyone know where I can find a detailed plot summary of GK3? I never played it due to my inability to handle the interface and 3D environment (made me dizzy). But I am really curious to know what the story is and what happens. I made it only as far as the moustache puzzle!
Welcome to the forums 80k! I have this game but haven't gotten around to playing it yet (so I can't give you a good synopsis of the story).

While I haven't watched this clip, I found this site which supposedly has a plot synopsis and story line. Maybe that will give you what you need. Edit: It's just a trailer. Hopefully someone will have a better summary for you (although you may want to put it in spoiler tags).
Old 09-05-2007, 05:13 PM   #27

I installed GK1 recently and the music didn't sound quite right to me. Is there a way I can sample how the music is supposed to sound?
Old 09-05-2007, 05:34 PM   #28
Super Moderator

Did you install it using the patch (it's a Windows installer)? If not, that may help.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:15 PM   #29
Sar

Collector I used those installers you posted the link for about a year ago. The GK1 worked on my XP Pro flawlessly, GK2 gave me some minor problems but i still got through the game. Later I found GK2 ran well when installing in win95 compatibility mode. Just thought I'd comment on Collector's link. The installers are a must especially if you don't want to mess with Dosbox. I will add GK1 ran great in dosbox without any need for tweaking. At least on my system.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:57 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Did you install it using the patch (it's a Windows installer)? If not, that may help.
Ah thank you Melanie! I will give that a try!
Old 09-06-2007, 01:02 AM   #31

I am currently replaying Gabriel Knight: Sins of the fathers. Even id the graphics aren't exactly what you might call up to par (by 2007-standards), this game still has it. Didn't take long until I was sucked back into the mystery around his dreams, the voodoo going on around in New Orleans.

Call me old fashioned, but I could just not cope with the new interface introduced in GK2. I bought the game back then, but it still hasn't been completed. (I know, shame on me).
Old 09-06-2007, 04:22 AM   #32
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblebad View Post
Even id the graphics aren't exactly what you might call up to par (by 2007-standards), this game still has it.
From a graphical point of view I've always thought that they were put together in a way that makes everything sufficiently clear. You can see what everything important is and recognise what characters are doing (like the gesture Gabriel makes at the start to show he doesn't want to take the phone call)

To a certain extent I think graphical improvement has lowered the sense of immersion. The better the graphics are, the easier it is to spot the parts where minimal time has been spent (usually the background stuff) thus marring the effect of the whole. The slight fuzziness of GK1 allows the imagination to fill in the detail.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 09-06-2007, 07:28 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68 View Post
Welcome to the forums 80k! I have this game but haven't gotten around to playing it yet (so I can't give you a good synopsis of the story).

While I haven't watched this clip, I found this site which supposedly has a plot synopsis and story line. Maybe that will give you what you need. Edit: It's just a trailer. Hopefully someone will have a better summary for you (although you may want to put it in spoiler tags).
Thanks, that is a useful site. Looks like I may have to struggle through the game sometime
Old 09-06-2007, 10:54 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
The slight fuzziness of GK1 allows the imagination to fill in the detail.
Couldn't agree more...
Old 09-07-2007, 08:27 AM   #35

I think it would be a really cool promotion to remake GK 1 and 2 with todays technologies. Nothing too overboard. Beast Within could certainly work on the Wii. Think they still have the origional video footage? That interlaced video was awesome 12 years ago, but looks really bad these days.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:06 PM   #36
Freeware Co-ordinator

A GK2 remake with better FMV could be interesting but I wouldn't want an updated version of GK1 for the graphical reasons I stated above.

It would be good to have a tweak of that version that runs on modern systems though.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 09-08-2007, 11:13 AM   #37
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

While anything GK would be awesome, I would personally prefer a sequel, prequel or spin-off ahead of a remake.
Old 09-08-2007, 11:54 AM   #38
Sar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonchi View Post
While anything GK would be awesome, I would personally prefer a sequel, prequel or spin-off ahead of a remake.
Based on what I have read no remakes, no sequels. It appears Vivendi burned their bridges when it comes to adventure games. From reading interviews in various places with Ms Jensen there is little or no inclination to get involved with Sierra's new owners. Interviews posted on line in mags and game sites with other Sierra classic game developers also suggest the new guys are less than interested in the kinds of games that built the company.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:05 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar View Post
Based on what I have read no remakes, no sequels. It appears Vivendi burned their bridges when it comes to adventure games. From reading interviews in various places with Ms Jensen there is little or no inclination to get involved with Sierra's new owners. Interviews posted on line in mags and game sites with other Sierra classic game developers also suggest the new guys are less than interested in the kinds of games that built the company.
Very sad news indeed
But I still hope to see (and get to play) GK 4 before my time on Earth comes to an end...
Old 09-08-2007, 03:14 PM   #40
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar View Post
I know, but just as long as we're thinking wishfully...

In all honesty, I'd have a very hard time getting excited over anything Vivendi were to announce in relation to their adventure licenses after the Magna Cum Laude and XP Compilations fiascos. I seriously don't believe they have the capacity to deliver anything that'll interest me.