You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Ugliest adventure game ever made?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2006, 12:16 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaap
S
Normality was 3d, but VGA, whereas all other games from that period were SVGA. (Going back from SVGA to VGA only works if the game is Full throttle & you're Tim Schafer )

Jaap
Normality does have an option to run in 640x480, but you have to choose it from the menu in-game. It does look much better if you do, provided the computer running it is fast enough to run it smoothly. It is a vast improvement, particularly if you detest the chunkiness of the lower resolution on a PC monitor as much as I do. I think most 3D games of that time worked much the same way.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:31 AM   #42

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine
It is the C64 version, just ported over to PC with a modified color palette.
I don't know... I actually think that the EGA versions of VGA releases aren't too bad. The sprites and backgrounds were redrawn to look good in EGA, not simply downgraded to 16 colors by program. They could have looked a lot worse than they do.
You might want to check out my pages of screenshots of KQ5 EGA and SQ1 remake and SQ4 EGA, if you've never played those releases. Be warned though, on dial-up they take a LONG time to load.
However, I will agree that the Amiga conversions of Sierra's 256-color games (save KQ6 Amiga which actually is decent) are hideous.
What a great site... It brought back alot of nostalgia.

I guess I was mostly disturbed because I had Amiga at the time, and I actually played both Kings Quest V and Space Quest IV on Amiga. I decided to replay it on PC later just because I wanted to see the game as it was intended. The VGA versions looks quite nice, so there wasnt anything wrong with the technlogy, unless you wanted to quickly release a 32c version to Amiga I guess.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:38 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlejandroSV
if you want to talk about early 3d think of alone in the dark 1, back from 1992. but the graphics were really not that bad... and it is also not quiet an adventure game.
Alone in the dark blended 2d backdrops with 3d models, just like MI4, Grim Fandango and Discworld Noir. The original AITD was actually released already 1992, so it was ahead of it's time. While the pologyons do look horrible today though, the 2d art still brings it up in my opinion. It might have been a better game it was pure 2d however.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:41 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra
It looked great for its time, especially the animations. And it's definitely an adventure game.
It does blur the lines as it does contains combat, and is near identical to the Survival Horror games of today (Resident Evil, Silent hill etc). Still the recent Survival Horror games arent generally mentioned when speaking about Adventuregames, but instead they are spoken about as a Genré in it's own.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:51 AM   #45

I have previously mentioned Gabriel Knight 3, and I am willing to take that back somewhat.

It appears that the game suffered from graphical issues more than horrible graphics. When I started to play, the GAMMA was dragged deep down, so the game was really dark everywhere I was, so dark that major features such as whole doors was impossible to see. Now I can actually see what goes on on screen

There was also some kind of bug with a function that intended to speed up rendering, that is one of the wierdest bugs I have seen in a game. If you ever used Photoshop and used the Smear function (the finger)... imagine the same effect, in realtime, smearing all 2d art and even textures on 3d objects, when I moved the mousecursor over them. After disabling that function, the game redraw itself more often, so I never have to bother about the smears.

Finally I was able through a reghack to bump up the screen resolution to 1600x1200. Did not do much for polygons, but it made the higher resolution textures to look far better, making me at least able to appreciate the high detail in signs/paintings etc.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:35 AM   #46
LA-S-LE

Now THIS is ugly:

Commercial game, 2005.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:40 AM   #47
Senior *female* member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
Wow, and the review says thats its only good point aswell...
Ouch, that hurts... I love Isabelle, colors and grafics included. It's a unique, novel game. People here are always talking about innovation but more often than not they have conservative if not rigid ideas about the type of innovation they'd like to see. Which is probably the reason that some of the immensely creative games of the mid-nineties do not get the appreciation they deserve... like Bad Day on the Midway, Obsidian, Bad Mojo, Eastern Mind, TLE. Maybe even Blue Ice.

Imo, imo, imo.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:58 AM   #48
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JemyM
It does blur the lines as it does contains combat, and is near identical to the Survival Horror games of today (Resident Evil, Silent hill etc). Still the recent Survival Horror games arent generally mentioned when speaking about Adventuregames, but instead they are spoken about as a Genré in it's own.
Alone in the Dark inspired the survival horror genre, but was itself still an adventure game. Resident Evil is widely considered the first true survival horror, just like Dune 2 is considered the first RTS, although there were somewhat similar games way before it.

And I remember that in the time Alone in the Dark first appeared nobody questioned its status as an adventure game, combat or no combat. This defensive conservativism is a pretty recent invention.
Old 04-24-2006, 03:56 AM   #49

Quote:
And I remember that in the time Alone in the Dark first appeared nobody questioned its status as an adventure game, combat or no combat.
I did. Get it out of my sight, I said, as I only play adventure games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel Type
Commercial game, 2005.
Hey, what's that weird Russian game? Actually, the backgrounds are OK, only the characters are ugly.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:07 AM   #50
capsized.

Quote:
Lol... M&M... I actually played the eight one to the end... And if it would actually have been an adventure game, it would probably have made it to the worst games ever, only saved by the fact that it doesnt even seem to take itself seriously. And I have to agree that yeah, gameplay was still SOMEHOW very addictive...
It's very basic, actually. (That's what made it so fun!) But since it's plenty hacking&slashing (basically), but with plenty cool spells and stat management involved, it has always been a "love it or hate it" affair. Don't get me started on the card game they included in the 7th game... oh man, I must have spent days wasting my time on playing that.

About "FLight Of The yaddayadda": I'm willing to take my comment back, too (a bit). It's not really ugly, just dull, dull, dull³. Still glad you liked it, cobra.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:54 AM   #51
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurebesh
I did. Get it out of my sight, I said, as I only play adventure games.
The scary thing is I believe you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
About "FLight Of The yaddayadda": I'm willing to take my comment back, too (a bit). It's not really ugly, just dull, dull, dull³. Still glad you liked it, cobra.
How can you call a game dull in the same post in which you rave about M&M 9?
Old 04-24-2006, 05:26 AM   #52
capsized.

Quote:
How can you call a game dull in the same post in which you rave about M&M 9?
Heheh. Addmitedly I stopped at part VII (great game!).
Old 04-24-2006, 06:15 AM   #53
LA-S-LE

Aurebesh
Quote:
Hey, what's that weird Russian game? Actually, the backgrounds are OK, only the characters are ugly.
It's "DMB", one of the ugliest, low-budget games I've ever met. The gameplay is no better. Despite this fact it had a sequel not long ago..
Old 04-24-2006, 09:17 AM   #54

Quote:
Now THIS is ugly:

Commercial game, 2005.
What game is this?

Edit... Ahhh. When in doubt read.

Last edited by Captain Blondebeard; 04-24-2006 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:24 AM   #55
Super Moderator

Quote:
It's "DMB", one of the ugliest, low-budget games I've ever met. The gameplay is no better. Despite this fact it had a sequel not long ago..
Old 04-24-2006, 10:10 AM   #56

Quote:
Aurebesh

I'm not very familiar with Russia but I know Anna Kournakova looks nothing like that chick.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:04 PM   #57
Explorer of the uncharted

Quote:
You sir have clearly yet to play Project: Firestart.
I suggest you do so, now.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
It's very basic, actually. (That's what made it so fun!) But since it's plenty hacking&slashing (basically), but with plenty cool spells and stat management involved, it has always been a "love it or hate it" affair. Don't get me started on the card game they included in the 7th game... oh man, I must have spent days wasting my time on playing that.
Aaah, Acromage. I loved that game...
It was deeply addicting... I even kept M&M7 installed for quite some time to be able to go back and play it some more. I even had it as a standalone game for awhile. Too good to be a subgame.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:27 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by NcroManiac
You sir have clearly yet to play Project: Firestart.
I suggest you do so, now.
Ack. There's always some mostly unknown game that introduced a genré earlier than all other games. I also learned that Zell 1981 was the first Real-time computer rpg today.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:01 PM   #60

The Watchmaker. Yech.