You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Indigo Prophecy, Slightly Let Down

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006, 05:14 PM   #1
Developer

Default Indigo Prophecy, Slightly Let Down

I know...I know, I'm a little late in playing Indigo Prophecy but I finally got to it. But truthfully, I'm kinda let down. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love the story. The story is wonderful but as, a player, I don't actually do anything. I do exactly what the game tells me to do...

"Cover me. I'll check the doors." -- perhaps I should check the doors.

...And then I play a variation of Simon to watch a cinematic I can't watch because I'm busy trying to focus on the blinking lights and colors. (The Simon-thing was way to over-used.) So all in all, I'm kinda let down in what I was promised from the game, and as a game.

Am I alone on this?
Old 04-17-2006, 05:59 PM   #2
I've come for the fork!

I really, really enjoyed Indigo Prophecy. Up until pretty close to the end at least, but thats beside the point.
You're right though, it does take alot out of your hands. I agree it was kinda hard to watch the action and press the button combos at the same time.
Still the game succeeds in my book as a cool experiment in multimedia storytelling.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:10 PM   #3
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

It was an interesting game, to say the least. I liked some things and disliked others, but on the whole it was GOTY 2005 material (alongside FEAR and Chaos Theory of course)
Old 04-17-2006, 06:11 PM   #4

Send a message via MSN to kuddles

Since the rythym game made you focus on the center of the screen, I personally had no problem watching what was going on. It would have been a nice addition for them to let you rewatch it later though.

I thought one aspect of the rythym stuff worked perfectly though.
Spoiler:
The two parts where you're controlling Carla in the basement and the insane asylum really made me feel like I was hyperventilating right along with her.

However, if you're really enjoying the story, do yourself a favour. Right before you enter the amusement park, press escape, exit the game, uninstall, and never play it again. You'll be left with a fantastic yet inconclusive ending that won't make you feel cheated. Trust me.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:25 PM   #5
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuddles
Since the rythym game made you focus on the center of the screen, I personally had no problem watching what was going on. It would have been a nice addition for them to let you rewatch it later though.
Some of them you can after youve been through them, they become replayable in the extras menu.

You have the choice to play it again or just watch it
Old 04-18-2006, 12:14 AM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

I didn't see any problem with the ending, other than it was a little rushed. I don't understand people who say to just stop playing the game before you get to the ending. If the developer put it in there then it's meant to be part of the story. (I guess I'm just biased though because I saw very little faults with Indigo. It was a great game and also has great replayability in my book. Definitely my 2005 GOTY.)
Old 04-18-2006, 12:31 AM   #7
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813
I didn't see any problem with the ending, other than it was a little rushed. I don't understand people who say to just stop playing the game before you get to the ending. If the developer put it in there then it's meant to be part of the story. (I guess I'm just biased though because I saw very little faults with Indigo. It was a great game and also has great replayability in my book. Definitely my 2005 GOTY.)
To me it kind of felt like lightspeed at the end. Had they fully explained the whole thing before diving head first, people might not have been so harsh. I still love the whole experience, but there are little nitpicks...

*The climbing. GOOD LORD the climbing! Even on a gamepad the movements required just wouldn't work.
*The stealth. I don't mind it, but the way it expects you to do exactly what it wants can be annoying
*The rushed story near the end.

The rest was WELL worth the asking price and I'm glad I played it.
Old 04-18-2006, 04:24 AM   #8

In my opinion Indigo is a very good game, not great, but close. I will agree about the story, it ends a little bit fast and a bit weird but the whole experience is very good. Another problem is the 3D cameras (as always in 3rd person perspective) and the action sequences, which detract you from what is happening at the screen but you can't have it all. Still though I loved the action parts, maybe a bit less button mashing but at times it makes absolutely sense like when Lucas is running or balancing himself in a blank. You feel like physically participating. Ahh and I agree on the climbing parts... They gave some headaches too

By me in order Indigo 2 to reach classic status it needs an improvement of the action system (not change, I like the scheme), way better more modern graphics and a strong story through the whole game not only for the 2/3 of it.

I almost forgot it, Badalamenti needs to stay as score composer
Old 04-18-2006, 04:43 AM   #9

Send a message via MSN to kuddles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813
I'm open to a few left-of-field surprises, but by the time we get to the part
Spoiler:
where all of the sudden there's this weird guy made out of polygons coming out of the old woman in a wheelchair and he's fighting this other sect so you go underground with this secret society made up of homeless people and, despite the dire task at hand, have intercourse with Carla even though you're dead but have been brought back to life and you take the special mute girl to the place where you came in contact with special alien powers as a child until you get interupted but luckily, as you're floating, you've learned how to shoot these unexplained energy balls from your chest...

I mean, that's not a rushed ending. That's a "throw everything and see what sticks" ending.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:08 AM   #10
Secret Agent

I am currently playing Fahrenheit and I am half way through it and so I cannot say what I think about the ending, but the start was great and I liked the way it looks and its story.
I have not found any problems with the camera views and controls during normal gameplay, but have found it a bit difficult to try to concentrate on pressing the correct buttons during the action sequences and at the same time trying to watch the movie (sometimes I had to decrease the difficulty level to easy to try to bypass a scene, especially the one when Lucas is in his apartment and all the things and furniture is flying towards him. At least you can watch it from the Bonus Menu after you have gone through it.
It does not have difficult puzzles and I never got stuck for now. (Actually there are almost no puzzles to solve as the game does not require to use the inventory as in other adventure games)

Anyway for now I think Fahrenheit has one of the best storyline and graphics I have ever played and I am eagerly looking forward to finish it.
Hope I do not get disappointed with the ending as some of you are saying.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:23 AM   #11
Developer

Has anyboby played both Fahrenheit and Indigo Prophecy, so that I might know the difference between the two? I know that Fahrenheit in the European (and correct) release and Indigo Prophecy is the edited US release. But is there any significant gameplay difference?
Old 04-18-2006, 06:25 AM   #12

I thought the game was average. The atmosphere is cool, there's really a lot of tension when you're controlling Lucas in the first half of the game, but the gameplay really sucked, mouse gesture excepted. I can't even begin to express how much I disliked the Simon sequences. Not fun, not hard, no good.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:50 AM   #13
Burning

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvllrgrs
Has anyboby played both Fahrenheit and Indigo Prophecy, so that I might know the difference between the two? I know that Fahrenheit in the European (and correct) release and Indigo Prophecy is the edited US release. But is there any significant gameplay difference?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit_(video_game)
Old 04-18-2006, 08:18 AM   #14
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Indigo Prophecy is an interactive movie, and as a movie, I thought it was just plain bad. A very routine and cliched story with no original characters that goes completely nutzoid in the last 2/3. If this was a movie, it'd be some lame straight-to-video sci-fi film, I don't really want to play an interactive version of one of those.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 04-18-2006, 08:35 AM   #15

Am I the only one that thought the scene on the roof was one of the most awesome sequences in gaming?

And about the climbing, if you used a gamepad, what was so hard about it?

Note: I played on Xbox.

I thought the entire game was way too easy, even on the hardest difficulty.

(The only hard part was the warmup before the boxing match).
Old 04-18-2006, 09:10 AM   #16

Send a message via AIM to Rayvielle Send a message via MSN to Rayvielle

Basically, from what I remember, the changes came in the sex sequences I think??

I think they were edited out of one of the versions.

Hehe, they were kinda fun in a weird way while playing on xbox.

But yeah, it was a fun game, and I'll admit that the ending was VERY cluttered! You still should play it through, but geez...

Either way, I enjoyed it. I need to go back and play through, get the other five endings, which I'm looking forward too...
Old 04-18-2006, 09:47 AM   #17

Yes the interactive sex scene was taken out of the U.S. version (which I played).
Old 04-18-2006, 10:27 AM   #18

The problem comes when you figure out that the story is not as interesting as it seems at first...
Old 04-19-2006, 06:32 AM   #19
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax
If this was a movie, it'd be some lame straight-to-video sci-fi film
It wouldn't, thanks to the fantastic characters. The writing, and one of the best examples of voice acting in games ever, made them feel like actual people, much more believeable than in majority of games, but also in quite a lot of movies. Granted, they deserved a better story than the latter half of the game, but I really cared for Lucas, Carla or Tiffany and that's a testament to Fahrenheit's excellence, as flawed as it may be in other areas.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:42 PM   #20
Adventure Lover

Send a message via AIM to Boneho Chane

My friend got the game and said he loved it. So he brought me over one day and I was amazed how cliched the ending got. I mean seriously, I was expected Agent Smith to pop out any second. But since he was the one playing, I found the action sequences extremely easy to watch. They seemed to go a little too long though. How weird was it that after Lucas does all those impossible things with the cops and outruns them, only one is character is shocked, and the rest of them disregard it in two seconds. I was expecting them to explain that...