You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure CSI demo impressions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2006, 01:37 PM   #1
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58
Default CSI demo impressions

My impessions? Looks like this area is clean, way to be thorough.

Sometimes when collecting evidence you hear two or three different sentences interupt each other too.

Looks like this area is clean, way to be thorough.

The demo was okay, could have been better.

I just wish it didn't seem like they were holding your hand the entire time.

Old 04-17-2006, 02:08 PM   #2
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

I gave up too, I wish it was a bit more free.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 04-17-2006, 02:17 PM   #3
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

I havent started it yet, still having proplems with the distorted Dialouge.

Although from what I can tell from the first screen in the lab the 3D is pretty cool
Old 04-17-2006, 02:52 PM   #4

In the installation there were 3 language options. All english. I am must wondering what difference there could be. But the demo felt very similar to the other csi games. I read somewhere that there would be more 3d in the new game but I don´t seen much difference. I like the demo and have got the game ordered. The demo case was fun with all the game stuff in it.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:07 PM   #5
woof

Well 2 of them were American english and UK english, just a difference in some of the spelling I think, im not sure about the third one though
Old 04-17-2006, 03:12 PM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

The third is Canadian.

The only difference between the three languages is in the EULA (end-user license agreement) that displays when you install the demo.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:22 PM   #7
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

I can't quite understand why those learning sequenses has to be SOO irritating.. You'd think they were made for a three year old.. I actually liked the demo. I wish hotspots didn't keep appearing green when you'd already found everything there was to find.. I also didn't like the fact that I had to drag evidence to a computer just to get it red tagged; "We've done everything we can do with that."

But overall, an improvment (oh, besides the fact that all the characters had texure faults with their faces.. Wonder if it's my screencards fault..)

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 04-17-2006, 03:58 PM   #8
Dungeon Master

On the plus side, I haven't played the previous CSI games, but I can't imagine how the shift to 3D (even if it's not "real" 3D gameplaywise) can't be an improvement. With a cursor changes turned off (great feature by the way, those difficulty settings), it feels like I'm actually searching for clues rather than hunting for pixels. And, generally, if the AG reviews of previous instalments are to be believed, there is way more interactivity this time around (way more than zero, but still ).

But the demo convinced me this game is not for me. I wouldn't mind the led-by-the-hand feeling that much - I'd just set my mind to playing out a CSI episode (rather than conducting an investigation myself) to explain the linearity, were it not for at least two continuity errors in my playthrough.

Spoiler:
The first one is Nick saying that .22 bullet matches the gunpowder found on .45 gun before I analyzed the .45 gun at all.

The second one I can't remember (and won't check because of the odd save system), but it was during Catherine's first appearance. She and Nick wondered about something we had already found the answer to.

Also, William Petersen's name is misspelled in the credits.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:00 PM   #9
Sierra Junkie

I don't like how they make everything so painfully obvious instead of letting YOU figure out what needs to be done. Is this affected by difficulty? I skipped the training because they commited a bad fault - not allowing me to jump ahead when I've 'got it'. I pulled out the tool before I needed to and tried to pickup the hair and it was no dice, but 20 seconds later I'm told to pick it up and it lets me.....so I figured I would just learn it as I went.

The characters need more feeling in my opinion, the ones I met were stone faced and put little effort, while that guys room-mate went overboard AND under in different scenarios. Why isn't anyone refusing co-operation? A staple in these 'Who-dunnit' games in my eyes, otherwise I will guess the criminal before I even get there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
But the demo convinced me this game is not for me. I wouldn't mind the led-by-the-hand feeling that much - I'd just set my mind to playing out a CSI episode
Except the show is far more interesting and in depth than this game. Where the show is a drama, this seems to be just techniques and 'by the book' investigation.

PS - Where is the theme song? Whooooo are you....

Last edited by avatar_58; 04-17-2006 at 04:06 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:09 PM   #10
woof

Thats what the song says!? I though it was "Oooooo ali..."
Old 04-17-2006, 04:25 PM   #11
Sierra Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
Thats what the song says!? I though it was "Oooooo ali..."
Who are you - The Who
Old 04-17-2006, 11:50 PM   #12
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58
I don't like how they make everything so painfully obvious instead of letting YOU figure out what needs to be done. Is this affected by difficulty?
A little. You can turn off the location and evidence tagging and cursor changing when you move it over an interactive hotspot.

Quote:
Except the show is far more interesting and in depth than this game. Where the show is a drama, this seems to be just techniques and 'by the book' investigation.
Plus the show is a rollercoaster ride, what with exciting camera work and editing, and the demo is slow-paced. Even what could be great plot twists are delivered in a sort of subdued way.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:58 PM   #13
Sierra Junkie

Quote:
A little. You can turn off the location and evidence tagging and cursor changing when you move it over an interactive hotspot.
Can I turn off Nick telling me everything is clean? That would drive me insane if I had to listen to the characters do that in every case.

Quote:
Plus the show is a rollercoaster ride, what with exciting camera work and editing, and the demo is slow-paced. Even what could be great plot twists are delivered in a sort of subdued way.
I'm not against slow-pacing, I'm against the complete lack of drama or suspense. It seems like a bad police quest game, when it should be a CSI game. I don't want to just collect evidence, how about actually having nice story twists and shady characters.....can anyone confirm this is in the final game? The ones I met in the demo were wooden and way too co-operative.

Another thing - this game should NOT have been 3D in my opinion. The body was hard to take seriously when it looked so damn unrealistic and even commical. They missed the boat on that front. Actually, come to think of it, a CSI game during the FMV age would have been much more detailed. Too bad that went out of style years ago......
Old 04-18-2006, 12:53 AM   #14
woof

Quote:
Another thing - this game should NOT have been 3D in my opinion. The body was hard to take seriously when it looked so damn unrealistic and even commical. They missed the boat on that front. Actually, come to think of it, a CSI game during the FMV age would have been much more detailed. Too bad that went out of style years ago......
If thats what your wanting then you should play the first 2 (3 if you include Maimi) games. They arnt FVM but the are CG
Old 04-18-2006, 12:54 AM   #15
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Can I turn off Nick telling me everything is clean? That would drive me insane if I had to listen to the characters do that in every case.
I think I heard this "Way to be thourough" two, maybe three, times. Are you sure you weren't simply clicking on the same area over and over again?
Old 04-18-2006, 12:55 AM   #16
Sierra Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
If thats what your wanting then you should play the first 2 (3 if you include Maimi) games. They arnt FVM but the are CG
I'm considering it, because someone told me they do a better job than this one. However do they have demos? I'll have to look into that. Its just that this game seems to put more emphasis on HOW they do things, instead of WHAT they do.

I mean, watch 'Grave Danger' then come back and play this. These are about the same subject matter? Could have fooled me.

Quote:
I think I heard this "Way to be thourough" two, maybe three, times. Are you sure you weren't simply clicking on the same area over and over again?
Nope. I heard this 3, maybe 4 times at the crime scene. I heard it six or more times in the hotel room, and a few times he said it when I picked up evidence which caused two nicks to be talking at the same time. I sincerly hope this is just a demo problem, but even so its doing a terrible job at selling me the full game.
Old 04-18-2006, 06:31 AM   #17
female animal lover

Send a message via MSN to Panthera

Can you turn off the fact that you have to use the camera and only the camera when you look at the body. In the earlier games you could choose between anything in your case, making it sometimes a guessinggame what to pick. I wanna believe it's the camera I'm supposed to use, not being told it..

It was one of the things I've was most dissapointed about, and I don't know if I can enjoy the game if I have to have it like that..

My sporadically updated blogs:
Animation enthusiast, Sci-fi enthusiast and Snark, pedantry and random geekery
Old 04-18-2006, 06:32 AM   #18
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
When he starts saying it, you can press the space bar to skip the rest of the line.

It's not like this is the first game to have that sort of line. What would Syberia be without "No need to go down there?"
Old 04-18-2006, 08:56 AM   #19
Roar?

CSI would have benefitted from another month or two of polishing. There are all kinds of little errors and they are just distracting. The errors plus the crap graphics and voice acting makes the game feel cheap.

All of the polishing in the world wouldn't have fixed how repetitive and dull the mysteries are, however.
Old 04-18-2006, 07:52 PM   #20
Sierra Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoofa
CSI would have benefitted from another month or two of polishing. There are all kinds of little errors and they are just distracting. The errors plus the crap graphics and voice acting makes the game feel cheap.

All of the polishing in the world wouldn't have fixed how repetitive and dull the mysteries are, however.
It almost feels like a cash-in that is trying to sell just because its "CSI", but considering Telltale is the developer I don't get it. Did Ubisoft approach them?

Also my quarrel isn't with repeated dialogue, its the reason for it. I merely look at a desk, he says it. I pick up a hair, he says it. I turn around, he says it. I mean come on.....its okay to help the player along but he doesn't need to tell me every area is clean.