Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Finished Great Cow Race (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/14281-finished-great-cow-race.html)

AudioSoldier 04-11-2006 11:02 AM

Finished Great Cow Race

I was granted a copy to review. Just finished it now. Any questions before the inevitable review?

Karmillo 04-11-2006 11:40 AM

I guess the first one would be how long is it compared to the first one?

insane_cobra 04-11-2006 11:48 AM

Is there any nudity?

Dasilva 04-11-2006 11:49 AM

Is there any male nudity?

AudioSoldier 04-11-2006 11:50 AM

It depends on whether you use the hints or not. Using the hints exclusively takes about three hours. It's longer than the first, but not considerably. You'll come to a point where you say, "ah, it's lengthier", but not long after this comes the credits.

Importantly, there's more to do with each of the characters. Events are less focussed on Fone and there's better value for money -- obviously -- considering the cheaper pricing model. This is no rip-off, certainly.

Naturally though, only fans of the original need apply, since the game plays in a similar vain despite its increased tenure.

Both games combined still don't make up a full-length adventure. Not nearly.

AudioSoldier 04-11-2006 11:51 AM

I suppose if you count the Bone's as males, then yes. Afterall, you see Fone scrambling out of bed, as white as a sheet and with a close-up of his body. Quite a turn-on. He doesn't even have the backpack on. Now that's nudity.

fov 04-11-2006 11:53 AM

Quote:

Using the hints exclusively takes about three hours.
Did you play using hints? :confused:

I'm very curious to hear how long it takes people without getting outside help. My first time through (on an early build without voice acting or cutscenes, several puzzles hadn't been implemented yet, etc.) took me just over four hours. I'm working my way through the game again now and even knowing how to solve all the puzzles, it's feeling pretty substantial to me. So I'm really eager to hear the perspective of players coming at the game fresh, who do not use many/any hints to play through it, on how long or substantial the game feels.

Melanie68 04-11-2006 11:57 AM

I took part in that focus group and I played for about 2.5 hours and I think I was 1/3 of the way into it. I rarely used the hints though and you might consider me a slow gamer too. :)

Edit: Maybe not even a 1/3, a 1/4...

AudioSoldier 04-11-2006 12:03 PM

Without hints would take nearly double the time, I'd say. It depends on your adventuring ability of course, but for $12 it's not a bad trade-off.

Hmm...Knowing when to switch between characters without a hint or two can be a tad problematic too, and figuring the right time to usurp the role of another Bone might take stumbling upon.

AudioSoldier 04-11-2006 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melanie68
I took part in that focus group and I played for about 2.5 hours and I think I was 1/3 of the way into it. I rarely used the hints though and you might consider me a slow gamer too. :)

Edit: Maybe not even a 1/3, a 1/4...

Why do you think you were a third through?

Melanie68 04-11-2006 12:05 PM

Educated guess based on the point in the game others were at. I never officially found out though.

AudioSoldier 04-11-2006 12:07 PM

Quote:

Educated guess based on the point in the game others were at. I never officially found out though.

Well what point were you at? Place in spoilers if you wish.

Melanie68 04-11-2006 12:11 PM

Spoiler:
It was shortly after the first 'dream' sequence with the Red Dragon. I had also subdued the bee with smoke.
I had played Phoney for quite awhile before I switched to Smiley and Fone and played with them a bit.

Spoiler:
I also had only won the doll at the one carnival game but hadn't completed the hammer one.

AudioSoldier 04-11-2006 12:16 PM

Quote:

Spoiler:
It was shortly after the first 'dream' sequence with the Red Dragon. I had also subdued the bee with smoke.
I had played Phoney for quite awhile before I switched to Smiley and Fone and played with them a bit.

Spoiler:
I also had only won the doll at the one carnival game but hadn't completed the hammer one.

Hmm, you've done a fair bit with Fone. I'd say you're about a 1/3 through, true. Continue going slowly, and you'll have another few hours of gameplay stretching ahead. Phoney and Smiley have plenty to undertake, you see.

Hamham Chan 04-11-2006 01:09 PM

How is the Cowrace like, is it lika a minigame?

RemiO 04-11-2006 01:11 PM

Six hours of gamplay without hints, as suggested above, is how long it took me to finish it. Quite enjoyable six hours too (when compared to the first game at least) and if the improvements continue in to the third game, I think Telltale might have a winner on their hands.

SoccerDude28 04-11-2006 01:38 PM

AudioSoldier, what is the difficulty level of Great Cow Race compared to Out from Boneville. My biggest problem with Out from Boneville is the simplicity of the puzzles. It seemed like a game for my 8 year old niece than for me. Did you find that while playing Great Cow Race or do you think there were some really challenging puzzles that would get a seasoned adventurer stuck.

the gnome 04-11-2006 01:55 PM

Well, it took me almost 8 hours, without using hints, playing it in more than one sittings, clicking at everything and taking notes,which should translate to at least 4-5 hours of dense gaming experience... More for somebody who hasn't played adventure games before.

Definitely worth the 13$

AudioSoldier 04-11-2006 09:24 PM

Soccer Dude, I wouldn't say the puzzles are any more difficult, no. There are more of them, though. Much of it is interacting with the NPCs in the gameworld.

AudioSoldier 04-11-2006 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hamham Chan
How is the Cowrace like, is it lika a minigame?

Without wanting to give away too much, the cowrace setion is more about solving the puzzles than controlling the racer(s). In effect, it doesn't feel much like a minigame, but you're unable to leave the race of course, so it's fairly restrictive.