You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Bone: Great Cow Race Reviews

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2006, 05:51 AM   #1

Default Bone: Great Cow Race Reviews

It's the first one I've seen:
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=63818

7/10 . It confirms its an improvement over the first one.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:13 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813
Default Great Cow Race Review at TotalGamerZone

63/100 - http://www.totalgamerzone.com/review/bonetgcr1.html

Last edited by Legolas813; 04-11-2006 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:22 AM   #3
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco
It's the first one I've seen:
http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=63818

7/10 . It confirms its an improvement over the first one.
Thats alot coming from Eurogamer.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 04-11-2006, 02:20 PM   #4

Well, it seems there's a problem in the totalgamer review... Only 3-4 hours gameplay. Nope, not that case... Bone 2 is quite longer. The Eurogamer review on the other hand was very good.
Thanks for the links.
Old 04-11-2006, 02:49 PM   #5
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Mojo's also got a review up - http://www.mixnmojo.com/features/rea...le=bone2review

3.5/5 (aka 7/10 aka 70% aka whatever)

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 04-11-2006, 05:09 PM   #6
fov
Rattenmonster

the_gnome - will you be posting a review on your blog?
Old 04-11-2006, 11:20 PM   #7

Nope, not on the blog... It is for Adventure Lantern, but I may post a few screenshots and stuff on the blog.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:29 PM   #8
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
Mojo's also got a review up - http://www.mixnmojo.com/features/rea...le=bone2review

3.5/5 (aka 7/10 aka 70% aka whatever)

Ratings are sexy (actually, no.). They're the boobs of a review. First to be looked at, first to be discussed amongst you and your buddies. In great detail. Everybody knows that they're not the star of the show, but hey.

Ahem, (slightly OT): Are Telltale going to release a demo thingie again? I'm not familiar with the comics and somehow they weren't able to convince me of "Bone's" apparent greatness the last time around... Then again, a frightening number of other demos isn't different at all. It's almost like watching a movie trailer of "Shining" which consists of nothing but a scene showing a close-up of Jack Nicholson picking his nose and a tag line that goes like "Be afraid. Be very afraid".

Last edited by samIamsad; 04-11-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:30 PM   #9
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
Are Telltale going to release a demo thingie again?
Yes, at the same time as the full game.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:37 PM   #10
capsized.

Thanks.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:43 PM   #11

30 minute timed demo like Out from Boneville (v2) or first scene or two like Out from Boneville (v1)?

I'm assuming the former...
Old 04-12-2006, 03:01 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad

Ratings are sexy (actually, no.). They're the boobs of a review. First to be looked at, first to be discussed amongst you and your buddies. In great detail. Everybody knows that they're not the star of the show, but hey.
What's wrong with you? Boobs not the star of the show? It's all about the boobs ! Money and boobs!
Old 04-25-2006, 10:03 PM   #13

I'm not sure what's the 'default' thread around here for general discussion of Cow Race, so I'll use this here and if a mod wants to cleave it off to some better thread, cool.

And a week behind the crowd, I finally finished it last night. I don't have time to play for extended periods, but managed to get through a puzzle or two per session.

It was wonderful, and I will tell you what I liked about it (contains some spoilers, so I will hide it all).

Spoiler:
The puzzles that are one step ahead of you. This was a trademark of LucasArts and I was extremely pleased to see it again in Cow Race, specifically trying to smoke out the bee. When he grabbed the straw and puffed like a cigar that was absolutely brilliant. Back to the drawing board for me.

The world was alive, even if it meant simply kicking a stone or sniffing a flower or having a description for a non takeable item. This was the biggest improvement over Boneville, and I hope to see even more of it in the next installment. This also involves the chickens, talking to cows and the possum kids always-tied rock-scissors-paper idle animation.

The Cow Race puzzle itself was brilliantly executed, and nice to see the Rat Creature chase as something different (inventory based).

There may have been a few too many times you had to feed straw to the cow, but if it works once, it's logical it's to work again.

Once I figured out how to activate the packing the cart puzzle (which wasn't that obvious, I'd walked around for a long time trying to find the objects to go in) I loved the variation of a first person 2D puzzle.

I experienced one hang-up when the scene froze as Phoney went to attend to the punching bag. I thought, hmmmm, walking around he building in real-time. But after a minute or so figured game had crashed. After restarting game and loading a recent save everything went fine.

While I wasn't sure quite how to 'solve' the bashing pans puzzle, it was a heck've a lot of fun. It seemed to solve itself after a while, but I'm kinda unsure if it was due to a sequence of pans or not.

Jeff Smith was right to insist the bulging muscle and jaw-drop animations were included. Great cartoony stuff.

I turned on and used the hint system once and felt dirty afterwards (regarding a potato and a key).

The models and voices were excellent, had no problem with that aspect in the least.

Satisfying end-game, though I thought I was being primed for another puzzle at the farmhouse just before the credits rolled. And what an awesome credit sequence it was.

The main negative, as has been stated before was the long pauses between screens, often with a black screen and no loading icon. On more than one occasion I thought the game had crashed when it was simply transitioning.

Looking forward to shadows and alternate resolution possibilties further down the track.

So thank you telltale!

When's #3? Octoberish? [#-o]