You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure GDC 06: Dreamfall: The Longest Journey Impressions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2006, 08:29 AM   #1
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva
Default GDC 06: Dreamfall: The Longest Journey Impressions

GDC 06: Dreamfall: The Longest Journey Impressions

Dreamfall is pretty much done, so lead designer Ragnar Tornquist took off for San Jose to show off his long-awaited adventure game.

SAN JOSE, Calif.--After years of development, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey is pretty much complete at this point, so Funcom creative director Ragnar Tornquist took off for San Jose to show off his long-awaited adventure game for the PC and Xbox. Like you'd expect, Tornquist is eager for Dreamfall to finally reach the masses. This is the sequel to what many consider to be the best adventure game since Myst, and it's packed full of content and variety, and there's a reason for that. "This is my pledge to the players," Tornquist said. "They'll never get bored."

Dreamfall will have you play as three different characters on three different worlds, ranging from a futuristic utopia to a more medieval setting. While Funcom originally struggled with how to classify the game early on, calling it many things such as an action adventure, Tornquist said that they've since become calling it what it is, a "modern adventure game." Dreamfall is all about overcoming obstacles and challenges, and giving you the tools to do so in a variety of ways. There are classic adventure-style puzzles where you have to figure out how to solve problems, but also tons of minigames that are designed to be simple and fun, not excruciatingly difficult, which is a problem with some adventure games. Meanwhile, there's also a light action element to the game, as you can choose to fight it out with your characters if you'd like. The combat controls are inspired by those found in games such as Jade Empire, so it's designed to be accessible to those with slower reflexes. "The combat is not Dead or Alive," he said.

There's approximately 20 to 30 hours of gameplay in Dreamfall, he explained, depending on how much time you spend talking with all the characters. Tornquist said that he also didn't want players doing the same things over and over again, so you'll be constantly traveling to new areas, such as foreboding dungeons or beautiful futuristic cities. The game is also flexible enough to allow you to solve many problems in a multitude of ways. If you're being chased in the dungeon by an angry troll, you can try ducking and hiding in the shadows, or face it down if you feel lucky enough. Then there are the other ways you can solve puzzles, such as the conversational relationship games that you can have with characters to try and make them see your side.

Tornquist is proud of the way the game looks on the Xbox, and that it looks even better on the PC. Put that together with the potentially huge amount of gameplay, and Dreamfall may very well be nirvana for adventure fans. Publisher Aspyr will announce a ship date soon, but expect it to be sometime next month. Meanwhile, Tornquist isn't taking a well-deserved vacation. Instead, he says that he's excited about making games, so he's diving right into his next project. What can we say? The man really loves making games.

Source: www.Gamespot.com

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 03-24-2006, 08:51 AM   #2
Super Moderator

Nothing there really that we didn't already know.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:51 AM   #3
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

"Best adventure game since Myst." Wtf?

Wasn't Myst released in 1993?!
I'm quite certain that there have been, krhm few superb adventure games since then.
Or are they possibly meaning Myst V which came out in 2005.

Anyway, Myst isn't an adventure game.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:59 AM   #4
Hitch-Hiker

Myst is puzzle not adventure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Baldwin
Nothing there really that we didn't already know.
It was news so I thought I'd post it anyway.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

Old 03-24-2006, 09:27 AM   #5
Hopeful skeptic

The weird thing about the article is that you can't tell the writer even saw the game. I don't even see any "impressions", let alone details.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:20 AM   #6
Easily amused

Quote:
Anyway, Myst isn't an adventure game.
Quote:
Myst is puzzle not adventure
(sigh)
Old 03-24-2006, 10:55 AM   #7
Burning

EMI was the last great adventure game, or was TLJ released after it, hmm... I am a bit confused
Old 03-24-2006, 11:13 AM   #8
Hitch-Hiker

TLJ was first, then MI4, I think.

_

Old 03-24-2006, 11:43 AM   #9
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Dreamfall looked so great at GDC though. I'm really excited... I need to (buy and) replay The Longest Journey pronto.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens

Last edited by Jake; 03-24-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 12:12 PM   #10

So I'm gonna just go ahead and assume that An AG preview of Dreamfallr What We Saw at GDC Made Our Jaws Drop is forthcoming in near future (how about like tomorrow?). Or do we have to get a long stick to poke Jack?

Old 03-24-2006, 01:46 PM   #11
gin soaked boy

Here's some tasty new screenies!

I just glanced over the thumbs - don't want to spoil the game too much - but wow!
Old 03-24-2006, 01:57 PM   #12
Hitch-Hiker

Sweet Jesus! Those look amazing.

_

Old 03-24-2006, 02:15 PM   #13
is not wierd

Dayuuuuuuuumn.

Old 03-24-2006, 03:03 PM   #14
Elder

Send a message via MSN to RaMa

Those were posted a tiny while ago on Minstrum.net

The new gallery on my site (Black House) is divided into several levels of spoilers. So if you're trying to avoid spoilers but still enjoy at least some of the new screens, you can visit the gallery here.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:12 PM   #15
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by playing_games
So I'm gonna just go ahead and assume that An AG preview of Dreamfallr What We Saw at GDC Made Our Jaws Drop is forthcoming in near future (how about like tomorrow?). Or do we have to get a long stick to poke Jack?
Jake just gave it. What, you want more?

I won't make any promises just yet, but I'd say the smart money has us running something before long. If we do, though, it won't be a rush job just to repeat the same stuff everyone knows.
Old 03-24-2006, 03:23 PM   #16

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

man, my mom loved the longest journey, the action in this second one is going to turn her away..
and i also happen to think its crap, BUT, i will love the game..
Old 03-24-2006, 03:35 PM   #17
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owskie
man, my mom loved the longest journey, the action in this second one is going to turn her away..
and i also happen to think its crap, BUT, i will love the game..
Get over it, man. How long do you think the Adventure genre will stay 2d-point and click? Gaming is constantly evolving, and adventure games have to keep up if we want to see any mainstream ones at all.

EDIT: What I mean is, I'm quite frankly glad that Dreamfall is experimenting some, especially when it's for the sake of the story. I'm also hoping that it is successful and thus prompts other adventure game makers to try new things other than 2D/point and click adventures. I like to see new things. Sorry if I sounded like I jumped on your post. I understand your complaints, but I feel like Dreamfall is the beginning of the future for adventure games.

Last edited by Spiwak; 03-24-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:03 PM   #18
Hitch-Hiker

I think Dreamfall will be the ideal game, something with story, real action & great visuals. Seems to be the perfect package directed to all gamers, not just the hardcore point and click nuts.

_

Old 03-24-2006, 04:40 PM   #19
Aj_
Beyond Belief

Hmmm, I predict the action will be unnecessary, anoying, and badly designed. I've seen it hundreds of times. I actually like action, I play more action games than adventures, but I want it to be deep, flowing, and with enough freedom to be unrestrictive and unrepetitive.

Last edited by Aj_; 03-24-2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-24-2006, 04:44 PM   #20
Hitch-Hiker

You think Ragnar Tørnquist is going to screw up this game? Have some faith at least. And I'd hate to see a TLJ sequel in the same way as TLJ 1, technology and new ideas move in.

_