You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Prettiest Screenshot from a VGA adventure

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2006, 01:55 AM   #1

Send a message via ICQ to Ondrej
Default The Prettiest Screenshot from a VGA adventure

Try to beat this!

From Westwood's The Hand of Fate, 1993.

EDIT: Changed my image host.

Last edited by Ondrej; 03-19-2006 at 05:40 AM.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:00 AM   #2
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

You are damn lucky I don't feel like starting up Quest for Glory 3 right now There were some very beautiful shots in there, with the large tree and the jungle areas.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:23 AM   #3

I can only see the top of your screenshot, as it's having trouble loading, but I'll still respond blindly and say that in my opinion, for pure VGA mode 13h beauty you can't beat Commander Blood:

Honestly, between this one and Lost Eden, I willingly gave Cryo a pass for releasing an almost totally uninterrupted stream of lovely looking mediocrity for years afterward. Bought every single one hoping they'd get back up to the same level of quality.

Ah, forgot to mention, incidentally, that the soundtracks on both Commander Blood and Lost Eden were every bit as gorgeous as the visuals. They just don't make them like that anymore.
Old 03-19-2006, 02:50 AM   #4
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

You will now witness the defeat of Ondrej's VGA screenshot by means of sheer beauty of a EGA screenshot!

Nothing beats the Shore of Wonder!

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 03-19-2006, 03:15 AM   #5

Jazhara7, beautiful picture, I like magic and I like swans, but not quite a match for a cool VGA stack of hay with sheep nearby and the stormy horizon. Also the Shore of Wonders seems cold compared to the warmth of my Meadow.
Old 03-19-2006, 04:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ondrej
Jazhara7, beautiful picture, I like magic and I like swans, but not quite a match for a cool VGA stack of hay with sheep nearby and the stormy horizon. Also the Shore of Wonders seems cold compared to the warmth of my Meadow.
Well, you *are* kind of floating in Space in that scene, so it might be quite chilly.

Here's the VGA version fo the same scene, by the way.

-

Old 03-19-2006, 04:50 AM   #7

Gordon, I owned both Commander Blood and Lost Eden. Their cinematics are wonderful, but when you take a screenshot and thereby reduce the dynamics of the scene to one frozen moment in time, they don't look that good.

Jazhara7, I'm all for romantic lakes and mysteriuos nights. The EGA screenshot looks IMHO better than the VGA one, in all cases more mystical due to all those stars that are amiss in the VGA take on that scene. But perhaps the VGA is taken before some magic spell and the EGA after? Still it feels cold to me. Cold in an emotional sense. There are night sceneries full of promise and distant adventure, but this one seems like Mr. Spock's dream.
Old 03-19-2006, 05:02 AM   #8

True, those games do look much better in motion than as still images, but even as stills, they are quite nice.

Oh, and by the way, Jazhara7, I'll see your lovely EGA graphics, and after far too much work to get this image, raise you the most beautiful *CGA* graphics in an adventure game, from the not nearly as nice looking as it was on the ST or Amiga port of Quest for the Time-Bird:

Old 03-19-2006, 05:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ondrej
Gordon, I owned both Commander Blood and Lost Eden. Their cinematics are wonderful, but when you take a screenshot and thereby reduce the dynamics of the scene to one frozen moment in time, they don't look that good.

Jazhara7, I'm all for romantic lakes and mysteriuos nights. The EGA screenshot looks IMHO better than the VGA one, in all cases more mystical due to all those stars that are amiss in the VGA take on that scene. But perhaps the VGA is taken before some magic spell and the EGA after? Still it feels cold to me. Cold in an emotional sense. There are night sceneries full of promise and distant adventure, but this one seems like Mr. Spock's dream.

I also like the EGA version better. And no, there's no spell being cast in that scene. The game is "LOOM", and it's one of my top favourites. The only thing you do there is talk to the Swan, and then continue to journey to the other side of the Shore of Wonder. Another graphical difference between the two is that you don't see a close-up of Lady Cygna in the VGA version, like you would see in the EGA version (which is also the reason why the EGA screenshot had to be taken before or after the conversation, and the VGA screenshot is taken during the conversation). They left the close-ups out because they could not manage the lip synchronisation well enough (the VGA version had speech).

Oh, and I love the EGA version not because I love romantic lakes (they're okay I guess) - I just adore the stars. Did you ever read an Astronomy guide that has the stories of the different stars and constellations in it? It's wonderful. And I think the night sky is the most beautiful thing there is.

-

Old 03-19-2006, 05:18 AM   #10
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar_58
You are damn lucky I don't feel like starting up Quest for Glory 3 right now There were some very beautiful shots in there, with the large tree and the jungle areas.
QFG3 has THE best VGA backgrounds, hands down.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 03-19-2006, 07:07 AM   #11
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

Dune had cool graphics, but a single screenshot wouldn't show the palette shifting goodness.
Old 03-19-2006, 09:10 AM   #12
Hitch-Hiker

I love the menu in QFG3, so vibrant.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

Old 03-19-2006, 09:14 AM   #13
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Yeah. The black text on a white background would probably look at odds with the muted tones of the backdrops .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-19-2006, 09:18 AM   #14

Default what?

No Legend of Kyrandia (pt. 1) goodness? I seem to remember a scene outside the serpent's grotto that just blew me away at the time...
Old 03-19-2006, 09:25 AM   #15
Hitch-Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
Yeah. The black text on a white background would probably look at odds with the muted tones of the backdrops .
What?

_

Old 03-19-2006, 09:32 AM   #16
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I'm joshing with you over the fact that your image is displaying as a MobyGames image .

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-19-2006, 09:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
What?

Moby Games doesn't let you direct link images. You must host it yourself.

Try Tinypic

-

Old 03-19-2006, 09:44 AM   #18

IMHO some of most impressive uses of color used in a VGA game canbe seen in the first 'Simon The Sorcerer' game. the scenery in the screenshots still looks amazing, considering it was released in 1993.

i personally liked the forest scenery which reveals much detail.

several screenshots from mobygames
Old 03-19-2006, 09:52 AM   #19
Huz
Kersal Massive

Send a message via MSN to Huz

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreyMatter
IMHO some of most impressive uses of color used in a VGA game canbe seen in the first 'Simon The Sorcerer' game. the scenery in the screenshots still looks amazing, considering it was released in 1993.
I was going to suggest this too, but then I saw Gordon Bennett's suggestion of Commander Blood! I think he has us licked - it looks absolutely lovely.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:34 AM   #20

The question is not which VGA adventure has the best graphics. Which is the prettiest single screenshot* that you have ever seen - that is the question. It would be nice if you could present it here and tell us what makes it so beautiful in your eyes.

* of a VGA adventure