You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure 1st person adventure... (scratches)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2006, 06:41 PM   #1

Default 1st person adventure... (scratches)

Okay, so I was fooling around with Scratches since I am in dire need of an inventory based adventure game (pref 1st person) and I was slightly underwhelmed. Not only is there no freedom (for instance can't pick up item or proceed until you physically click on something or arbitrarliy call someone) but the puzzles were not imaginative. Now there is a fine line between logically integrated and unimaginative, but a game like Lost in Time did this perfectly. Okay maybe it wasn't perfect, but there were some really smart puzzles in there - real Macgyver type stuff.
Now maybe Scratches is a different sort of game and I shouldn't compare, but it just didn't quite do it for me.

I'm starting to feel like I have played all the great adventure games...

So...

1) Can someone suggest a good 1st person inventory adventure game? I have played GK3, Shannara, Death Gate, LIT, (all great!!)
2) Can someone point me in the direction of a userfriendly tool to make 1st person adventure games? Does AGS support this?
3) Does the Longest Journey have good inventory puzzles ( a la Macgyver) or are they more absract?
4) What about Dark Fall?
5) PLEASE HELP ME - I'm dyin here!
6) oh yeah and I don't mind adventure games that you can die in - why are these so hated?

whew thanks.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:33 PM   #2
More slaw!!!

Can't really help you much, except on the AGS front. AGS supports first person games, it's easy to turn the player character off (just check a box) so you have a first person situation.
Old 03-08-2006, 11:22 PM   #3

Offhand.. Companions of Xanth isn't bad. I found it to be one of the easiest adventure games that I've ever played, which you may want to bear in mind if you're looking for a challenge. Of course, different people will have different experiences. Speaking of which, you may also enjoy Mission Critical.

Normality was quite good. I never did finish it. Very nice comedic adventure in full first person 3d. It was sort of a 1990's version of Tass Times in Tonetown, which you may also want to try if you don't mind text/graphic hybrids.

While you're at it, don't miss the Mercenary series. Some of the finest games ever produced, and now playable for free in Windows from http://mercenarysite.free.fr/merce.htm . Someday, somehow, I will convince at least one person to play these. They are such *very* good games.

Of course there are others, I know because there's a title that's been evading me for the past five minutes and giving me a bit of a headache trying to think of it, but I think it'd be best to leave this one go for now and post.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:20 AM   #4
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

Good first person adventures?

Lost in Time, Manhunter 1,2, Ripper and Return to Zork to name a few.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:32 AM   #5
Easily amused

You would probably like Return to Mysterious Island. It is a very McGyver like game with oodles of inventory to work with. The Longest Journey has more abstract type inventory puzzles.
If you are into sciences, the Chemicus, Bioscopia and Physicus series has good, logical inventory based challenges.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:28 AM   #6

Yes! RTMI was GREAT!!!! I need more like it! I have heard of the manhunter series. What are they like?
Old 03-09-2006, 04:40 PM   #7
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

A great inventory based First Person Adventure is Normality! One of the most underrated adventures out there.

Its based around that book...1842 or something...the one that spawned the idea of big brother
Old 03-09-2006, 04:46 PM   #8
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjones2131
Yes! RTMI was GREAT!!!! I need more like it!
Voyage (aka Journey to the Moon) is a logical recommendation, then. The game uses the same inventory system, and is also based on Verne.
Old 03-09-2006, 07:46 PM   #9
Dr Uberman

Ugh... I can't stand 1st person adventures.

Except the Tex Murphy series, of course. :p
Old 03-09-2006, 08:27 PM   #10
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

Quote:
Originally Posted by indyjones2131
Yes! RTMI was GREAT!!!! I need more like it! I have heard of the manhunter series. What are they like?

They are a mix of first person adventure with little arcade sequences tossed in. I like em both, but if the arcade parts aren't your thing you might not enjoy it as much. Although it does have a difficult setting.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:32 AM   #11

I thought realms of the haunting was quite good but that was years ago.

Same engine as normality I think.