Adventure Forums

Adventure Forums (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/)
-   Adventure (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/)
-   -   Help me, Adventure Gamers! (looking for sci-fi game) (https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/13642-help-me-adventure-gamers-looking-sci-fi-game.html)

Borys 03-05-2006 09:20 AM

Help me, Adventure Gamers! (looking for sci-fi game)

First of all - hi, I'm new here.

I'm a big adventure lover, that's all you need to know for now.

Now here's where I need your help:

I need my sci-fi fix and I need it now.

I'm looking for a great, good, mediocre, even bad adventure game that is set in a cyberpunk/ dark/ gothic future, not la-la land future a la Space Quest that means little to no humour & jokes.

I finished these three *brilliant* sci-fi games: The Longest Journey, The Moment of Silence and Blade Runner and I am dying to play something similiar.

It should have 2D prerendered or 3D graphics - I don't think I'd immerse myself in something looking like old Sierra games.

I'm also not looking for sci-fi Myst clones - it has to have dialogues, NPCs and living, breathing dark world.

Are there any other games you could recommend? Yes, I know about The Longest Journey 2 but the wait is simply KILLING me!

Anything that fits the bill, really. It doesn't need to score A- in the review section as long as it's dark sci-fi!

Thanks for your help :)

fov 03-05-2006 09:24 AM

Welcome to the forum. :)

It's a bit different than the three you listed, but you might try Voyage.

Huz 03-05-2006 09:27 AM

You could give Beneath a Steel Sky a try. It's quite cyberpunky, although you might have to put up with some bad jokes nonetheless. :)

You can download it for free from the ScummVM site (and play it using their software), so it's a cheap recommendation too!

Kurufinwe 03-05-2006 09:30 AM

Hello Borys, and welcome to AGs. :)

The only game that really comes to mind at the moment is Nightlong. I liked the puzzles and general construction of the game, but found the plot and characters boring (but I know others think otherwise). It seems to fit your tastes rather well.

Come to think of it, the Tex Murphy series might possibly suit your tastes too. The Pandora Directive is especially good, though the others are fine too.

the gnome 03-05-2006 09:40 AM

Try Hell, Innocent until Caught, Beneath a Steel Sky and as fov already said Voyage.

As soon as I remeber more games that fit your demands I will let you know.

Cheers and welcome!

Phod 03-05-2006 09:51 AM

Omikron

colpet 03-05-2006 09:54 AM

These are older SciFi games:
The Ward
Darkside of the Moon
Journeyman Project Trilogy
Chronomaster (has sarcastic humor)

Corley 03-05-2006 11:25 AM

The Dig
Mission Critical

lol just read the 3d bit, my bad :P

JohnGreenArt 03-05-2006 01:06 PM

I'd recommend Neuromancer, but it's old.

It (or rather, William Gibson, who wrote the novel it's based on) is pretty much the father of cyberpunk, though.

tabacco 03-05-2006 01:30 PM

If you're okay with some platformey aspects, you might enjoy Beyond Good & Evil. It shares a lot with the adventure genre, though.
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/adventure/beyondgoodevil/

Iceadventure 03-05-2006 02:07 PM

How about legacy dark shadows?

jjacob 03-05-2006 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceadventure
How about legacy dark shadows?

Well he did say he didn't mind it being an extremely bad game ;) Still, I wouldn't recommend that game to anyone, well, except when I'm drunk perhaps.

Jeysie 03-05-2006 02:50 PM

Hmm. I haven't played it myself, but isn't "I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream" supposed to be a really, really dark SF adventure?

Apparently you can even still order it from Harlan Ellison's official website. (I need to do that myself one of these days.)

Peace & Luv, Liz

colpet 03-05-2006 03:58 PM

Oh, I forgot Ripper. It has some good parts in it where you enter cyberspace.

Gonchi 03-05-2006 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borys
I'm looking for a great, good, mediocre, even bad adventure game that is set in a cyberpunk/ dark/ gothic future

Dreamweb, Rise of the Dragon, Angel Devoid, The Uncertainty Machine, Orion Conspiracy, BloodNet, B.A.T., The Koshan Conspiracy (B.A.T. 2), The Dead City, Zero Critical, Johnny Mnemonic...

EDIT: Snatcher, although it's for the Sega CD, not PC.

Josho 03-05-2006 07:09 PM

"Circuit's Edge" is one of the last games released under the Infocom label. It's OLD (1990 or thereabouts), so don't expect 3-D graphics (or even very good graphics at all). But it's by George Alec Effinger, author of several excellent cyberpunk novels, and the game itself takes place in the same Arabian cyberpunk world. Very highly recommended if you can overcome the dated technology.

--Josh

Hamham Chan 03-05-2006 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gonchi
Dreamweb, Rise of the Dragon, Angel Devoid, The Uncertainty Machine, Orion Conspiracy, BloodNet, B.A.T., The Koshan Conspiracy (B.A.T. 2), The Dead City, Zero Critical, Johnny Mnemonic...

EDIT: Snatcher, although it's for the Sega CD, not PC.

If you have Snatcher then you can try running it with a Sega CD emulator, it´s easy to find on the net.:)

MoriartyL 03-06-2006 04:10 AM

I'll third Hideo Kojima's Snatcher.

Corley 03-06-2006 05:59 AM

Hmm having read the brief more, i'd agree with wots been said...

how aboot;

Hell: A Cyberpunk Thriller
Nightlong: Union City

Bobske 03-06-2006 08:00 AM

Another nice Sci-Fi game is Noctropolis. It's an oldie and you might have some trouble finding it, but I really enjoyed it!

I would also recommend The Dreamweb, Rise of the Dragon, the Tex Murphy Series and maybe even Phantasmagoria 2 :P