You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What Would You Be Willing to Pay For a 3-5 Hour Independent Adventure Game?

View Poll Results: What Would You Be Willing to Pay For a 3-5 Hour Independent Adventure Game?
Under $5 7 11.48%
$5 or $6 11 18.03%
$7 or $8 7 11.48%
$9 or $10 19 31.15%
$10 - $15 17 27.87%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2006, 03:07 PM   #1
OUATIJ Creator

Default What Would You Be Willing to Pay For a 3-5 Hour Independent Adventure Game?

Ok, let's assume that the game is good, first of all. Good characters, puzzles, storyline, music, visuals, etc. Let's also assume that it's an online download, and the very tiny team behind it is using the game as a springboard of sorts. They wish to create even better and longer games with a larger team of devoted individuals. Now, if all this was true, what would be the MAXIMUM amount of money you would consider spending on such a game?
Old 03-02-2006, 03:16 PM   #2

9-10$...But the maximum would be 20$, and that's only for something with the quality of Bone...
Old 03-02-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
Codger

No more than $6, although I think this is a great niche market. I don't always have time to play a full-length game. Something that fits into two or three days of off and on playing is an excellent idea.

However, when one can find really good full-length games for under $10 in bargain bins, $6 for 1/4 the gameplay seems about right for a maximum.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:26 PM   #4

It really depends on the game.
If I think it's really good, I'd go up to 10$.
Old 03-02-2006, 04:33 PM   #5
capsized.

Phew, tough one. Again.

Honestly, I don't know. A good quality game is a start... but, there had to be something special about it for me to give it a try. Simply selling something as an adventure/FPS/RTS/whatever game isn't enough these days (the big players learned their lesson). Since you seem to be tarketing the hardcore adventure gaming crowd, that doesn't seem to be so much of an issue here, though.

I brought this up because I personally am not interested in any game just because it happens to be an, uh, adventure game. So, if the game would promise to deliver something exciting, say, a 5 hour rollercoaster ride through all seven gates of hell and back (or something like that, heh ) I'd say: "Damn, yeah. Money? Who cares. I want this game! "

Last edited by samIamsad; 03-02-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:34 PM   #6

It would depend on what restrictions were made on when and on what I could install and play the game. If it had anticopy cr@p I thought was too restrictive or too damaging, I wouldn't pay one cent for it. If it didn't, and was truly what I'd consider to be a good game (as opposed to what someone else thinks is a good game) $20 would be OK.
Old 03-02-2006, 05:49 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

$5 or $6 in most cases for me. $20 for a full-length commercial adventure game.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:49 PM   #8
woof

Send a message via AIM to Karmillo Send a message via MSN to Karmillo

wait is this a poll to help you decide how to sell to make that game your working on for?
Old 03-02-2006, 07:51 PM   #9

Send a message via AIM to The Avatar
Default Demo!

Well,

I never buy games from unknown developers. If the indie team hasn't put anything out at all yet, then I don't trust that their product will be good enough to pay money for it.

Now if there were a free demo that shows off the awesome music, the cool graphics, and some of the revolutionary interactive elements in the game, I might be inclined to pay the $10 dollars to get my character to visit all the interesting places your demo advertised he'd get to experience in the game. But that's, of course, considering that I really liked the music, graphics and interaction I experienced from the demo.
Old 03-02-2006, 11:01 PM   #10
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmillo
wait is this a poll to help you decide how to sell to make that game your working on for?
Maybe. But we have scaled back. Steve Ince (who actually has experience making quality games) was right, we are getting ahead of ourselves. Our ambition is greater than our ability, as a two man team, when it comes to a LONG epic adventure game. So, we are doing a side story set in the same world that will connect to the main story. We are still putting the effort in, 110%, but we are making this story shorter and more focused...not so epic and huge so that it takes 3 years to make.
Old 03-03-2006, 12:30 AM   #11

Stop being so cheap.
While you are paying 6.50-8.00$ for a 1.5h movie ticket, and 18.00-23.00$ for a DVD.
i dont see why it's so hard for you to pay 16-20 bucks for good quality (yet short) adventure game?

5 hours is not such a short game assuming it's not too easy, and youre not usung the walktrough.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:43 AM   #12
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

I was going to say under 5$, because I prefer to buy games that have a physical presence in this world (read: I don't like to download the game. I want to have something *real*), but then I saw it would be as a springboard for a small but ambitious group of developers, so I said 5$-6$.

Also, I am not sure how much the dollar is worth in comparison with the Euro right now. I would be willing to pay at most 10 €, and for that it would have to be really good (it is very short, you have to admit - And 10 € is 20 DM!).

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 03-03-2006, 04:48 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazhara7
Also, I am not sure how much the dollar is worth in comparison with the Euro right now. I would be willing to pay at most 10 €, and for that it would have to be really good (it is very short, you have to admit - And 10 € is 20 DM!).
1€ = 1.2$

So 5$ = 4.1€
Old 03-03-2006, 05:07 AM   #14
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninth
1€ = 1.2$

So 5$ = 4.1€

Okay, make that at most 12,0207 $ then... (that's a german decimal point, or rather, decimal comma, by the way.)

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!
Old 03-03-2006, 05:55 AM   #15
Easily amused

I don't buy games for downloading. I prefer having a CD.
Old 03-03-2006, 07:36 AM   #16
The Threadâ„¢ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

I was stingy and chose "Under $5", but I could probably be pushed up to $10 if the game was good and if I didn't get an extra tax charge on top .

At $5 I'd probably buy on impulse more easily, though.

Yes, I'm stingy.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 03-03-2006, 07:53 AM   #17
How am I not myself?

3-5 hours is incredibly short. I'd only pay $5 or $6 per episode
Old 03-03-2006, 07:54 AM   #18
Living with my love

Send a message via MSN to Tobbe

Though the game would be nly 3-5 hours short, if it was good, I´d pay 9-10 dollars, maybe even more..
Old 03-03-2006, 08:16 AM   #19
LM

I might pay 5$, but it would have to be really good. If it were part of a bigger story I would be more inclined to buy it.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:31 AM   #20
Fop
Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron

A bit odd that there's no $15-$20 option, or hell, even a $25-$30 should be there. I could pay $15.

EDIT:
Does my avatar show without problems?