You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure What Would You Be Willing to Pay For a 3-5 Hour Independent Adventure Game?

View Poll Results: What Would You Be Willing to Pay For a 3-5 Hour Independent Adventure Game?
Under $5 7 11.48%
$5 or $6 11 18.03%
$7 or $8 7 11.48%
$9 or $10 19 31.15%
$10 - $15 17 27.87%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2006, 01:28 PM   #41

$2.50? $5? If I want to go to the cinema to see *any* movie, new release or otherwise, I have to pay 8€ minimum (around $10-$11), and that's not including any refreshments
Old 03-12-2006, 02:07 PM   #42
adventurer

Well if it's a good game ( good news travel far, and news about a good game travel further), I'd give 15$ - 20$.
You can always put it on a CD if you like once you download it.
Even if it's 5-6h long (it would take more if it has complicated puzzles).
Only problem is downloading. I would have to pay for the game and then for Mbs I downloaded.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:29 PM   #43
Adventure Game Elitist

Send a message via ICQ to Gonchi Send a message via MSN to Gonchi Send a message via Yahoo to Gonchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
$2.50? $5? If I want to go to the cinema to see *any* movie, new release or otherwise, I have to pay 8€ minimum (around $10-$11), and that's not including any refreshments
Damn. Holland's expensive. Here a ticket for the cinema is about 100 UY pesos, which is around $4 US, and the cinematheque is free if you're a subscriber of a local TV cable. 'Course... pretty much everything else associated with living here costs about 20 times more than anywhere in Europe or North America.

Back on topic, to me it would depend on a few things. Obviously to how much the premise, gameplay, etc appeal to my tastes, but also to how it's distributed. If it's downloadable I'd pay between $5-10, if it's packaged in a DVD case or box $15, with a printed manual $20, with a hot eastern European model of questionable repute $5000+...
Old 03-12-2006, 08:18 PM   #44

I would throw $5 bucks, easy, especially working on the assumption that it is a good game.

Without that assumption, I would probably still try it out. The idea sounds great; kind of like a "movie night" sort of thing. Pick up a game, make a night of it, etc. Once I got a little goodwill built up towards the company(ies) that made the games, I would probably go higher, up to about $10. Thus, I didn't really vote, since I couldn't decide on a choice.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:30 PM   #45
Under pressure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Once A Villain
For some reason this made me think of my friend in San Diego, California. It's off subject but oh well... He can't afford a house out there, so he's throwing away his money every month on an apartment he can never own. He just got a raise, and he's making what sounds like good money, but given the cost of living out there it's really not.

So then I ask him, "Why are you in California? I used to live there man. The reason I don't anymore is because I can get everything California has to offer in other states, and I don't have to pawn off my right leg to afford it." He says, "Oh, Texas offers mountains and beautiful beaches?" This was actually what I was setting him up to say. Whenever someone from California pulls out the "mountains and beaches" card, I always ask, "How often do you go driving or hiking up mountain trails? How often do you really go to the beach? Honestly, how often are you really getting use out of the very things you claim make your state worth living in? And then you tell me if it's worth not being able to afford anything there." Some people could answer "yes" to this, but that person is rare. My friend can't say yes because I happen to know for a fact he doesn't even like salt water and NEVER goes into the mountains... At least if he had said "climate", he would have ONE decent point, but I happen to like the extremes myself...really hot summers and really cold winters.

I didn't mean to bring this up out of nowhere, but your comment made me remember all this... Who continues to pay bills for services they are no longer getting? Or what about those restaurants where the food sucks but you pay a lot for the "atmosphere". This, to me, is the same concept. If you aren't getting any real use out of what you are paying for, then go somewhere where you aren't expected to pay for those things. A lot of people do pay more than they need to pay to get by, living out on the coasts, and then bitch and moan about how the world is cruel... My buddy is one of them. He won't even listen to my favorite claim (which is totally true by the way): "The women are hotter here!"
You don't really need to sit on the beach or take a hike through the mountains to enjoy it, you know. You can enjoy the scenery every day. You're driving through the hills and alongside the coastline every day on your way to work, for example. Or you can see it when you look out the window. So, I can imagine someone who likes beaches and mountains wouldn't be happy living in, for example, a desert. You say you don't care to pay for atmosphere, but I think the area in which you have to spend your life can't be compared to the interior design of a restaurant.

--Erwin
Old 03-13-2006, 05:39 PM   #46
OUATIJ Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin_Br
You don't really need to sit on the beach or take a hike through the mountains to enjoy it, you know. You can enjoy the scenery every day. You're driving through the hills and alongside the coastline every day on your way to work, for example. Or you can see it when you look out the window. So, I can imagine someone who likes beaches and mountains wouldn't be happy living in, for example, a desert. You say you don't care to pay for atmosphere, but I think the area in which you have to spend your life can't be compared to the interior design of a restaurant.

--Erwin
Yeah well, I mean, if it's worth it to pay to see mountains on the horizon and coastline while driving to work...then you have your own legit reasons to live in a place like that. Besides, some people have enough money for it and it's not even an issue. I'm referring to the "beggars being choosers" types. If one is struggling to make ends meet while living in a place where they are paying to see a mountain or beach in the distance when they wake up in the morning, I just don't have a whole lot of pity for them (and this defines my own best friend so...I'm not just being an ass for the fun of it).

By the way, when I lived in CA I liked it fine, it just wasn't any different in terms of my own personal enjoyment of life vs here. But I certainly noticed a lot more beggars on the streets out there. Gee, I wonder why?
Old 03-14-2006, 05:34 AM   #47

I would pay anything up to $50. To me the cost isn't what I care about, what I care about is whether it's going to be worth my time to play it

In general it's better to overprice than underprice, especially if it's a niche market like this one. My recommendation would be to sell it for $20-$30.