You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure Help With Game Selections

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2006, 02:50 PM   #1
Where am I?

Default Help With Game Selections

OK, I hated to post this , but, I am at a loss as to which new games I should try. Let me start by saying that I read one thread concerning folkses favorite first person games and most I had never heard of. I avoid, when possible, win 95 games as they really lack in picture quality; or am I just out with the ducks?

The games that I have REALLY enjoyed are: Syberia 1 and 2, The Longest Journey, Dark Fall, The Journal (with a qualifier that I normally like less morbid types, wouldn't want to make a habit of "dead and rotting" games) Some of the Myst games (Uru was fun, not a fav), Myst 5 was just different and a let down. Obsidian , Crystal Key, The JourneyMan Project......................

Anyhow, maybe I just have too much time on my hands . Thought I would seek guidance here. What say you nifty folks?
Old 02-20-2006, 03:18 PM   #2
Magic Wand Waver

Send a message via MSN to Fairygdmther

I found Morpheus pretty pixelated, but Timelapse was excellent, and is old but has very good graphics for its time. Another you might like is Faust: 7 Games of the Soul. This is a different kind of game, with good soundtracks, and it's very well done. You mention Syberia - Benoit Sokal has also done Amerzone, which is done as a 1st person. There's a new version of Sanitarium out last year that runs on XP. Another of the same kind as Obsidian, but is kinda pixelated is Drowned God - kinda weird story and tough puzzles, 1st person.

Lynsie
Old 02-20-2006, 03:40 PM   #3
scribeswindow

I always say it. Gabriel Knight: Beast Within (2) and Gabriel Knight:Blood of the Damned (3). They would be my next choice after the one's you have already played. Also Still Life. There is also Postmortem which was released before Still Life. Tex Murphy games are also good. Enjoy
Old 02-20-2006, 04:20 PM   #4

Gabriel Knight 3 is the right choice....
Old 02-20-2006, 04:45 PM   #5

From what you've played, I'd say that Still Life and The Black Mirror are obvious recommendations. They're both "morbid", I guess, but don't let that stop you, as they're both great.

Then for lighter and shorter games, you might want to try out Return to Mystery Island or Voyage.

And then if you're not against some retro trip, then there's Grim Fandango, THE ultimate AG masterpiece (even if it's not my personal favorite), and all the other Lucas Arts games that came before it. And there's always the Legend games.

EDIT: Note that even of you may want to avoid the last paragraph because of the outdated graphics, Grim Fandango is really beautiful and has a unique style that's really worth a look.
Old 02-22-2006, 01:56 PM   #6
Where am I?

I played Black Mirror and it was interesting. Rather dull ending. Any games that are on an up note in the way that "The Longest Journey" was?
I have noticed that many games have to do with astrology and ghosts and that sort of thing. Don't get me wrong, Never met a ghost I didn't like, but...
I play these as a diversion from every other noise in life and just wonder if there are some that you folks know about that have "positive" themes.

Not talking Looney Tunes here, just fun and absorbing. Dark Fall was a good one as there was some humor in it. Something with irony would be good. Not, " I have to go and irony my shirt" though.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:53 PM   #7

You really should try out the Broken Sword games, if you haven`t already.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:29 PM   #8

Sam and Max is colorful and really funny (but in a wicked way), so I guess you should try something like Simon the Sorcerer(?). Or perhaps Runaway...
Old 02-22-2006, 05:00 PM   #9
Where am I?

KriD...I am taking your advice and looking for those games. Broken Sword looks like what I would enjoy. Thanks to all of you......
Old 02-22-2006, 05:19 PM   #10
LM

I recomend the Discworld games. A bit old perhaps, but so entertaining. Engadging plot, briliant voice acting, and extreamly funny, what more could you want from a game? Well, ok, the puzzles were pretty "chalenging" (at least the first one), but overall still great games.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:20 PM   #11
Super Moderator

I really liked Broken Sword - Check Fry's since you're in California. They had a bunch of Sold Out Software titles and I saw Broken Sword 1 in there It was $4.99 at the Fry's by Sacramento.