You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure The Longest Journey - 2nd Chance

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2006, 05:55 PM   #1
Codger

Default The Longest Journey - 2nd Chance

While I've the new PCs for several months, I finally loaded The Longest Journey onto one of them. I was never able to get past the bar/restaurant on my first go around, which was fairly early into the game. Old system was fully up to specs, but just wouldn't play the game.

Not sure I can get back up to speed w/o a WT. Any suggestions as to which one to use?

I remember the basics, first and foremost being "talk until you are bored to tears."

Looking forward to giving TLJ a second chance.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:16 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

I recommend http://www.uhs-hints.com/ instead of a true walkthrough.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:31 PM   #3

Seconded. I'd rather use hints than a walkthrough any day, you're far less likely to accidentaly read something you have yet to attempt to figure out yourself. Though the first few chapters of TLJ are fairly easy and very doable on your own (except for one rather ackward puzzle).
Old 02-19-2006, 09:40 PM   #4
Super Moderator

I would third Legolas and jjacob in using UHS first but sometimes I had to use a walkthrough and I really liked this one. They have broken up into chapters which eliminates lots of scrolling. It's nice to have just in case.

And yes, lots of dialogue but it's worth it. Another thing I did was put the subtitles on because I tend to read pretty fast and you can right click through the dialogue faster if it's too slow for you.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:50 PM   #5
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanie68
And yes, lots of dialogue but it's worth it.
It's still good to know that they're going to fix that in Dreamfall. As Ragnar put it: "Show, don't tell". Yupp. The great thing about TLJ is not so much the game and hardly ever the puzzling itself, but indeed the plot (that's often sadly hidden beneath loads of chit-chatting). I would never call it a failure as an interactive experience, but I have played better. Hope you'll make it this time, rtrooney.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:48 PM   #6
scribeswindow

I'm playing The Longest Journey at present. Albeit very slowly because of lack of time. However I am really enjoying it. Using the UHS to get through makes it more pleasurable for me. It's good because you can go through by the chapters and only cheat when you really need to.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:59 PM   #7

Don't get used to UHS though! Trying to solve things on your own is so much more enjoyable
Old 02-20-2006, 05:03 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

Yeah even UHS can be dangerous if you get too comfortable with it.
Old 02-20-2006, 05:26 PM   #9
is not wierd

I dunno, I myself have no problem with immediately resorting to a walkthrough (especially for adventure games). When I'm playing a game like this that focuses so much on things like characters and plot (and even when not so much) what's keeping me playing is my urge to continue with the story. I dunno if there's a term for it but I'm making it here; I consider myself a story-based gamer as opposed to a gameplay-based gamer. So I'm not generally going to be bothered to stay on the same puzzle more than a few mintues before I bgreak out the walkthrough or the uhs. For a lot of games it relaly doesn't matter, like God of War where it's just a matter of killing everything anyway, but for puzzle-based games where I sometimes don't even know what I'm supposed to be doing because the game doesn't give good nudges, I'm all abotu using walkthroughs. Call me a lazy gamer, fine, but I'd rather get through the story as quickly as possible, like when you're reading a good book and so you just read for hours and hours to get to the end.
Old 02-20-2006, 08:30 PM   #10
Sierra Junkie

Send a message via MSN to avatar_58

The amount of dialogue in TLJ doesn't bother me at all, because the conversation isn't boring. That and the voice talent doesn't sound wooden but lively.

"Except you officer...."
"Uhhh.....I'm GAY ma'am"

Old 02-20-2006, 09:17 PM   #11
Friendly Server Admin

I originally read that as "Wooden and lively" and was very confused.