You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure "I should have completed these"

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2003, 01:24 PM   #21
BigRobot

Anachronox.

I suppose I should mention Freedom Force and Curse of Monkey Island, but I'm just not terribly concerned as to whether or not I ever do finish them. I'm usually pretty good about starting what I finish.

Old 12-17-2003, 02:43 PM   #22
The Dude

Send a message via AIM to mrdunn

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRobot
Anachronox.

I suppose I should mention Freedom Force and Curse of Monkey Island, but I'm just not terribly concerned as to whether or not I ever do finish them. I'm usually pretty good about starting what I finish.
Oh yeah, forgot about Freedom Force. It was a cool game, but it was incredibly hard for me, for some reason.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:30 PM   #23
ACK!

Send a message via MSN to Tanukitsune

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP
Tanukitsune, that makes 146, am I right? Whew, and I was feeling bad for having unfinished (or not started, for that matter) thirtysomething games (I would have to count them exactly), most notably Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Return to Zork, Kyrandia 3 as well as (of non-adventures) Thief and Fallout.

I'm making a New Year's contribution, though, not to buy (even as a budget release/magazine cover CD; downloading for free also counts) any game before I completely finish at least one game I already own. Will I be patient enough?

I may help you get rid of the ballast
Yeah, this year I started buying old adventure via Ebay and other similar places...
Most of them are from Ebay anyway...

Now I try to beat at least a game a week, but I Xmas I have so much work, I barely have time for anything....

The Zork Nemesis story is kinda funny.... I bought it on Ebay... One of the first game I bought there....

But the game didn't work... I had to send it back to Xplosiv, the distribuitor, to get a new copy....

Meanwhile, Spain released yet another buy 3 games pack for 19€ at the newstand, the pack had Zork Nemesis and some other games....

I said to myself, "Maybe the Spanish version will work on my PC?", so I bought it...

It didn't, I emailed their distribuitor and they knew the problem... They didn't know that to paly that game and another in that pack, you had to change you keyboard and others setting to English UK....

To calm down all the people who bought the pack they offer two red labeled games to all who bought the pack, I got Civilaztion II Call to Power and House of the Dead II....

Then a package arrived with a new copy of Zork Nemesis from Xplosiv....

So then I had 2 copies of Zork Nemesis... But then I got Activision Vault 2 which had Spycraft Time Commando and yet another Zork Nemesis...

If you really want Zork Nemesis (its a DVD edition, not the original), you can PM me...
I was going to put in on Ebay, but since the game is in English and nobody from outside of Spain has bid on any of my auctions yet, I thought I would be a waste of time...
Old 12-18-2003, 03:32 AM   #24
Liver of Life

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis: In fists and wits mode.

Man, that's one good game

That said, I won't even get started on the number of games I should have started.
Old 12-18-2003, 11:38 AM   #25

System Shock 2 is definately worth completing.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:06 PM   #26
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialFreak
Operation: Stealth and Cruise For A Corpse. To bad the discs for both these games broke.
Is Operation Stealth the one where you start out in an office with a map on the wall and getting out of the room involves literally finding a single pixel?
Old 12-18-2003, 12:11 PM   #27

I don't think so... the game starts at an airport.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:17 PM   #28
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerialFreak
I don't think so... the game starts at an airport.
Maybe it is the other "Bond" game I am thinking of then. I played two of them at around that same time period and get them confused...
Old 12-19-2003, 08:38 PM   #29

The one you're thinking about is Future Wars. I remember having that on my Amiga, but I never ever got to playing it. It's from the same developers released in the same period, so the games have close to identical interfaces and graphics.

Operation Stealth is where you play John Glames (in Europe at least, because the James Bond rights weren't available or something), and your mission is to hunt down and retrieve a stolen Stealth. You start out at the airporat and you have to make a passport that let's you pass the guards. Depending from game to game you must choose the nation they're currently at "peace" with. This is one of my oldtimer favourites. Part of the "before there was Monkey Island" period.

I'm not sure if you're a spy or just a normal guy getting tangled up in a strange plot in Future Wars, however. But at least you start out as a windows cleaner, and then you have to break into some kind of office for some reason. You're probably supposed to be a spy. In the office you find a large wall map, and you have to go "pixel-hunting" for a special spot to put a needle in. When you do that, a secret room appears from behind the map (or maybe someplace else, can't remember) where you find a strange contraption, which appearently is some kind of time machine, which takes you back a few hundred years.

That's about how far I got really.
Old 12-20-2003, 11:41 AM   #30
Iconoclast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonBlue
...you start out as a windows cleaner, and then you have to break into some kind of office for some reason. You're probably supposed to be a spy. In the office you find a large wall map, and you have to go "pixel-hunting" for a special spot to put a needle in. When you do that, a secret room appears from behind the map (or maybe someplace else, can't remember) where you find a strange contraption, which appearently is some kind of time machine, which takes you back a few hundred years.
Yep. That is the game I was thinking of. It is a little red flag that you have to put in the map if I remember correctly to get into that room. That was a LONG time ago... Thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:05 AM   #31

Send a message via AIM to Hiro Protagonist

I am notorious for not finishing games. I have a binder full of around 150 adventure games - most unfinished, but I get halfway through one and then get interested in another one and start the cycle over...stupid ADD! And this is on top of buying 4-5 new games a month just to make sure I get them before the local computer store quits stocking them.

My biggest regrets as far as not finishing are:
The Dig
Sam and Max
Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
Discworld
Discworld II
Beneath a Steel Sky
Hitman
Hitman II

The one good thing about writing reviews for AG - and previously another site - is that it forces me to finish games that otherwise I probably would never make it through.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:08 AM   #32

I loooved FutureWars. I still have it on floppy and replay it from time to time. I remember spending hours w/ my room-mate in college dealing w/ the pixel hunting puzzles, but it was a blast all the way through. That game, LSL6, Alone in the Dark, and Eternam are probably the reason I never made it to class. I blame adventure games for my poor education! But at least if I'm ever locked in a room with a bunch of crates and a poorly designed slider puzzle I'll know how to get out...
Old 12-22-2003, 02:07 PM   #33
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiro Protagonist
But at least if I'm ever locked in a room with a bunch of crates and a poorly designed slider puzzle I'll know how to get out...
Beware: Life has no walkthroughs.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens
Old 12-22-2003, 03:20 PM   #34

I'm not worried about the walkthrough...I just wish it came with three lives and power-ups...
Old 12-23-2003, 02:42 PM   #35
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

The list also contains those I own for some time now but never had time to offer them. Here goes:

Zak McKracken
Dracula 2
Indiana and the Last Crusade
Stupid Invaders
Morpheus
Alfred Hitchcock: The Final Cut
Broken Sword 2
Quest for Glory: Dragon Fire
Azrael's Tear
Thief 2
Simon the Sorcerer 1 & 2
The Feeble Files
The Riddle of Master Lu
Black Dahlia
Amerzone
Serlock Holmes: Case of the Rose Tattoo
The Colonel's Bequest
Cruise for a Corpse

Can't think of anymore at the time.. Wowza! Now this list is big! Not even close to Tanukitsune's (hopefully) but still there are some wasted money here as well.. It breaks my heart to realize that half of the these games won't run on XP..

Proud supporter of Tex Murphy - Project Fedora
Old 12-24-2003, 05:47 AM   #36

Congratulate me!

I've completed my first ever Gabriel Knight game... Sins of the Fathers (the first). Now it's on to Gabriel Knight - The Beast Within. Hopefully it will run a little better than Sins of the Fathers did, as it had a fair amount of bugs. At least it was completable.

And merry christmas to all of you adventurers out there! And happy holidays to those who doesn't celebrate it!
Old 12-24-2003, 06:11 PM   #37

still havent completed the titanic or light house, I suck at those myst like games, i never finished any zork game either. Anyone know if titanic is worth it?

crimson, gk2 has bugs if you play in window mode (windows install), there might be a patch for this but I don't know, its smoother in dos mode anyways, havent tried dosbox yet though, might work. You will definately like gk2, i envy you playing it for the first time.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:45 PM   #38
Jumping peanut on a stick

Don't know if that counts, but... Broken Sword 3! I *want* to finish it, but there's not enough time at the moment.
Old 12-25-2003, 01:46 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by davez82
still havent completed the titanic or light house, I suck at those myst like games, i never finished any zork game either. Anyone know if titanic is worth it?

crimson, gk2 has bugs if you play in window mode (windows install), there might be a patch for this but I don't know, its smoother in dos mode anyways, havent tried dosbox yet though, might work. You will definately like gk2, i envy you playing it for the first time.

I've just installed GK2 Windows, and played it for 10 minutes or so. It seemed fine to me, how long before I notice the bugs? What kind of bugs should or will occure?

And if there's a patch, where can I get it? Will my saves be rendered useless after I install the patch, or will I still be able to use the same saves? This isn't the first time I've played GK2 see. The last time I played it, I got to the point where I put the rose in the lake, but on the cutscene it either froze or just quit back to windows. I wasn't using XP when this occured though.

I mailed Sierra about the problem and they gave me a link to a patch which I should install, but they rendered my saves useless, so I had to start over again. That was too much, as I've gotten quite far in the game so I never installed the patch to begin all over. And what if it still wouldn't work after playing so far again?

I can't find anything on GK2 on Sierras website any more. If there is a patch, I want it, so I can finish the game without any huge problems.
Old 12-26-2003, 01:35 PM   #40

Send a message via AIM to Mal de Mer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdunn
American McGee's Alice (That Jabberwok was DAMN hard)
Yeah, that was ridiculous. I cheated on that. No hope, seriously.