You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming Adventure longest journey dumb question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2006, 06:47 AM   #1

Default longest journey dumb question

Ok just bought the game and opened the box. I have the two disc version. Is there suppose to be any pamphlet or anything written about the game? You know something that tells you about how the cursors work, how to load the game, sometimes a little info about the game? Mine box had nothing but two discs in it. Just want to make sure I am not missing anything. For example I didnt even realize I could read the diary. Yes I am new to gaming so this may be obvious to some. Anything else I should know???????
Old 02-05-2006, 06:57 AM   #2
Aj_
Beyond Belief

There is a pdf on the CD1.
Old 02-06-2006, 06:04 AM   #3

thanks for the info. Still dissapointed Thought with such a huge box I would get more info like all the other games I have played. I am enjoying the game It is great so far.
Old 02-06-2006, 07:58 PM   #4

Also, if you want to avoid any issues I suggest you patch the game with the latest patch, available here. It could very well be that the patch is present on your 2 CD version though, look for a folder called patch and run the exe file. And if you're running the gam on Windows XP I suggest you run the game in compatibility mode (windows 2000) for smoother gameplay and to get rid of some rather serious visual bugs present at certain points in the game. Have fun!
Old 02-06-2006, 09:16 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

I've never had a problem running in XP.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:23 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas813
I've never had a problem running in XP.
Really? Without compatibility mode on, I encountered severe graphical artefacts throughout the game
Old 02-07-2006, 12:08 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Legolas813

Nope never had that problem. And I've played on multiple computers with XP. As long as you have the 2-CD version and the patch, you should be fine.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #8
Lazy Bee

I´m playing The longest journey right now, almost finished and I like it a lot. Fantastic story, interesting carachters, quite easy most of the time - could have been some more logic puzzles which I have a weakness for.

One problem though: The game shuts itself down frequently. Since (as I´ve written before) I don´t know much about how computers work - but still like playing AG - the only thing I can do is to save the game every other minute.
I´ve read above about running the game in compability mode. Would it fix it? if so, how do I do that?
I have an XP and the game has only one CD.

Oh, maybe this post is in the wrong place, but this thread seemed suitable for a question like mine.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:25 PM   #9

Have you installed the patch already? That should fix most issues. I didn't experience any crashes but every computer is different. To play the game in compatibility mode right-click on the shortcut of TLJ, click on properties. Now go the tab "Compatibility" and check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" box, then from the dropdown list, choose Windows 2000 and click "Apply". Have fun!
Old 02-08-2006, 03:55 AM   #10
Lazy Bee

Oops, that was easy. Working fine now. Thanks jjacob!/LenaJ

EDIT: I cheered too fast, the problem remains.

Last edited by Jelena; 02-08-2006 at 06:43 AM.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:59 PM   #11

Do you have any other programs running while playing the game? That might interfere with TLJ and cause it to crash. Do you have the latest drivers for your videocard installed? Is there like an error report when it crashes or does it just quit without any notice?
Old 02-09-2006, 02:04 AM   #12
Lazy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Do you have any other programs running while playing the game? That might interfere with TLJ and cause it to crash. Do you have the latest drivers for your videocard installed? Is there like an error report when it crashes or does it just quit without any notice?
I haven´t got any other programs running but there is an error report everytime it crashes. Concearning the videocard I really don´t know. (Where do I find new drivers?) But it has worked well on other newer games (like Myst End of Ages).
I had a bigger issue as well. I wrote about it at Hint &tech.problems. But it´s working well now. I´ve only got two more chapters of the game so I guess I´ll manage the crashes by saving wherever I can.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:35 AM   #13

Well that depends on which videocard you own, if you're not sure, right click on "my computer" (or the swedish equivalent), then click on properties. Now go to the "Hardware" tab and click on "Device Manager". In the new window, there should be a display of lots of hardware - click on the plus sign next to "Display Adapters", this should tell you whether it's an Nvidia or an ATI card.

For nVidia drivers go here. For ATI drivers go here. (The ATI link takes you to the windows xp section of drivers).

Good luck!
Old 02-10-2006, 12:00 AM   #14
tsa
Playing character

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCgamer
Ok just bought the game and opened the box. I have the two disc version. Is there suppose to be any pamphlet or anything written about the game? You know something that tells you about how the cursors work, how to load the game, sometimes a little info about the game? Mine box had nothing but two discs in it. Just want to make sure I am not missing anything. For example I didnt even realize I could read the diary. Yes I am new to gaming so this may be obvious to some. Anything else I should know???????
I have the Dutch 2CD version, and I got a booklet with it. I didn't have any problems running the game in XP, except when my DVD player died. The game didn't like that very much.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:33 PM   #15
Adventure Game Researcher

Ordinarily you could go to the LJ site run by FunCom the makers, but it is donw for upgrading until at least the 15th of this month. They have great support and the staff answer questions such as yours quickly and regularly. they are a great company and it is a great game.

The patch sometimes improves things and sometimes doesent. There are some bugs but the 2 CD set is optimized for modern systems and is identical to the older 4 CD set except that they removed the low rez vids, and used better compression.

There is a great sequel out soon, Dreamfall, that has April in it, and there may be a third in the series, Ragnar hasnt said for sure, he and the team
are totally working on the finishing of Dreamfall, and picking the final voice cast.

Glad you are enjoying it, it is a masterpeice and a work of soul felt art. And also fun.

Game Research and History
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com
Game Patches and Aides
http://www.filefront.com/user/CrisGer
Patch and Fix Packs
Old 02-11-2006, 03:19 AM   #16
headless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacob
Have you installed the patch already? That should fix most issues. I didn't experience any crashes but every computer is different. To play the game in compatibility mode right-click on the shortcut of TLJ, click on properties. Now go the tab "Compatibility" and check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" box, then from the dropdown list, choose Windows 2000 and click "Apply". Have fun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
Oops, that was easy. Working fine now. Thanks jjacob!/LenaJ

EDIT: I cheered too fast, the problem remains.
Although this probably won't help you anymore, Lena, I thought I'd share what I found out regarding the installation and play of TLJ on XP.

I own the German 4 CD version and experienenced the same problems as you did with the 2 CD one. It didn't help to just change the compatibility settings for the game's .exe, but in addition I also had to change the settings of the setup.exe prior to the installation. Afterwards, everything worked out fine!
Old 02-11-2006, 06:17 AM   #17
Lazy Bee

Thanks everyone for helping me out! I´ve now finished the game and I have this empty feeling inside. What ever can I play now that will be as interesting and have such a a lot of different personalities. (No stereotypes there!)

I´ve istalled a started playing Sentinel, but no....What seemed so interesting when I read a review doesn´t appeal at all. But I´m too stingy to order a game from the UK and then not play it. I guess I´ll go on until I find something better.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:21 PM   #18

Yeah Sentinel was kind of disappointing, especially considering I love sci-fi themed AGs and the possibilities inherent within them. Fortunately you'll get to play the sequel before long
Old 02-11-2006, 06:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenaJ
Thanks everyone for helping me out! I´ve now finished the game and I have this empty feeling inside. What ever can I play now that will be as interesting and have such a a lot of different personalities. (No stereotypes there!)

I´ve istalled a started playing Sentinel, but no....What seemed so interesting when I read a review doesn´t appeal at all. But I´m too stingy to order a game from the UK and then not play it. I guess I´ll go on until I find something better.
You might like Indigo Prophecy, Lena. It's a very different game, but the story is very rich, just like TLJ.

I too have been looking for something to tide me over until Dreamfall! Good luck to the both of us, eh?
Old 02-11-2006, 06:31 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsa
I have the Dutch 2CD version, and I got a booklet with it. I didn't have any problems running the game in XP, except when my DVD player died. The game didn't like that very much.
TSA thanks for trying to answer my orignal question. I really just wanted know if I got jipped and didnt get a booklet when I should have. Anyway the other info may be useful for myself as well since I am also running on an xp but so far I have had no issues.
I do like the game but wish it had more logical puzzels. I hate to admit it but I am a myst fan.
thanks again everyone